Weight Shavings - Optima Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weight Shavings - Optima Battery

My battery was dying, so I decided to install an Optima Red Top. Optimas are gel type batteries, so there's not all that fluid sloshing around. They also weigh 13 lbs less then the OEM battery (38 lbs vs. 51 lbs). I was going use the install method that Oggie on L.I. wrote up on renntech, but I couldn't find 3/8" thick high density polyethylene anywhere. I decided to just modify the OEM battery tray; basically drill two holes in it. I was able to install an entire stereo w/out ever drilling a hole in the car, but I had to for the battery. I figure it's a replaceable and relatively cheap part if someone ever wanted it back to completely stock.

I just drilled two holes in the OEM tray and two holes in the base of the Optima, then I ran bolts with lock nuts through them to secure it. I also had to bend the bracket on the side a bit to get it to sit flush.

On the other side I was able to slide the base of the Optima into the groove that the OEM battery fits in.

All installed, as long as it's centered the existing cables reach, otherwise you need to get the reverse polarity Optima - or extend the cables.

Last edited by Rob in WA; 05-06-2005 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Good JoB! I replaced my Porsche Batt on my 993 with Optima. Loved it. 10lbs is substantial weight savings.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice job, Rob. Interesting about the reverse-polarity. After I installed mine, I was thinking that the reverse-polarity version just makes it a longer stretch for one side while making it an easier stretch for the other. Even with the reverse version, my battery cables barely made it. At least you didn't have to get longer battery cables, as some had suggested in the past.

Finding the polyethylene is definitely a bit tough. I think a piece of Lexan would do just fine. I think it can be drilled and cut easily without chipping -- unlike plexiglass, which chips very easily.

Say, did you make sure you used stainless steel screws and bolts?
Old 05-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Oggie Your instructions are excellent. In case anyone's interested HERE'S A LINK. I called both places listed (and quite a few around town) and was unable to locate 3/8" thick high density polyethylene - www.plasteak.com had a 5/8" thick piece, but I understand that wouldn't fit in the OEM battery tray grooves. I'm not sure if the screws and bolts I used are stainless steel, I just had them laying around. I now see from looking more closely at your instructions that you specify stainless. What's the purpose? The only contact is with the plastic portion of the Optima and the battery tray, which has foam underneath.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
Hi Oggie I now see from looking more closely at your instructions that you specify stainless. What's the purpose? The only contact is with the plastic portion of the Optima and the battery tray, which has foam underneath.
As long as no water gets in there, you're ok. With the Optima, there's no worry about spilled battery fluid since it's sealed.

Quick Reply: Weight Shavings - Optima Battery