Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anybody Use the Short Shifter from Schnell?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Rasta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Vik, I've used them for alot of stuff, good guys esp Tasso, Russ.`
Chris
Thanks for the vote of confidence Chris - good to know. I've used RPMR once before and was happy with them. Plus Tasso and Russ have got high marks from others (like you), which is always a great endorsement. Look forward to working with them again.

If you're around on Sat morning, drop by. Would love to catch up. Should be there around 9am.

Best,
Vik.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:49 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I might just pass by, only 15 min from me.
Chris
Old 05-12-2005, 12:02 PM
996Pilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ordered mine this morning. UPS Ground five days from Florida to California - looks like an installation next weekend.

Dan
Old 05-12-2005, 01:52 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Got mine in the mail yesterday, I agree looks to be a well machined unit. I'll probably start the install tonight and have some feedback by the end of the week.

BTW,,,does RPMR have a website??
Old 05-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by aben8057
...BTW,,,does RPMR have a website??
www.rpmracinginc.com. Call 'em up and ask for Erik. Tell 'em Vik sent ya.

Look forward to the feedback.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:06 PM
aben8057
Drifting

So I went home last night, had dinner with the family but in the back of my mind I wanted to head out to the garage and play. Dinner was good …blah..blah …blah

Before my installation I read the Schnell and B&M instructions thoroughly and compared their protocol for installation. I observed that each set were comparably identical but each set had their advantages. The Schnell instructions had tips like marking your linkage cables with white out, torx head screw sizes where the B&M had tips like setting the passengers seat completely flat when removing the center console, lithium grease tube, etc.. Nevertheless they both provided pictures and an easy to follow procedure.

The quality of the Schnell unit is durable as one of my main concerns where the nylon bushings vs. aluminum. Toolpants, I could not see a name stamped on the shifter indicating who made the unit but overall design appeared to be commendable.
The installation was about 2 hours but could be completed in less time. I was taking intermittent breaks enjoying a glass of wine and listening to my favorite jazz station. I find working on my car therapeutic and appreciate the German engineering that goes behind this beauty.

So off to work this morning….I engage reserve and the Schnell unit feels sturdy, into first I go..hmmm very short throw as I shift into first with a revolver sound click justifying engagement as the rpm’s start to ascend. Into second, takes a little bit more force to engage gears but the smile on my face is bliss. Shifts are much tighter compared to loose OE.

Overall I am definitely happy with the Schnell unit as this is a must have mod. I echo the statement within this board that Porsche should have made this standard equipment. The feel is very responsive, the angle of the shaft is identical to OE, easy diy project, a must for those out there wanting to enjoy a more responsive driving experience.

Cheers
Old 05-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by aben8057
So I went home last night, had dinner with the family but in the back of my mind I wanted to head out to the garage and play. Dinner was good …blah..blah …blah

Before my installation I read the Schnell and B&M instructions thoroughly and compared their protocol for installation. I observed that each set were comparably identical but each set had their advantages. The Schnell instructions had tips like marking your linkage cables with white out, torx head screw sizes where the B&M had tips like setting the passengers seat completely flat when removing the center console, lithium grease tube, etc.. Nevertheless they both provided pictures and an easy to follow procedure.

The quality of the Schnell unit is durable as one of my main concerns where the nylon bushings vs. aluminum. Toolpants, I could not see a name stamped on the shifter indicating who made the unit but overall design appeared to be commendable.
The installation was about 2 hours but could be completed in less time. I was taking intermittent breaks enjoying a glass of wine and listening to my favorite jazz station. I find working on my car therapeutic and appreciate the German engineering that goes behind this beauty.

So off to work this morning….I engage reserve and the Schnell unit feels sturdy, into first I go..hmmm very short throw as I shift into first with a revolver sound click justifying engagement as the rpm’s start to ascend. Into second, takes a little bit more force to engage gears but the smile on my face is bliss. Shifts are much tighter compared to loose OE.

Overall I am definitely happy with the Schnell unit as this is a must have mod. I echo the statement within this board that Porsche should have made this standard equipment. The feel is very responsive, the angle of the shaft is identical to OE, easy diy project, a must for those out there wanting to enjoy a more responsive driving experience.

Cheers
Sweeeeet!!! Getting the same thing done tomorrow. Can't wait.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:39 AM
996Pilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Received my Schnell unit yesterday via UPS. I just couldn't wait until the weekend and since everyone says it's so easy I started the project at 5:45pm. Nicely packaged unit, good looking components, extremely clear, step-by-step intructions. My neighbor stops by to return some tools and we share some car stories and a beer for about 15 minutes, then it's back to work stopping to take a copious amount of photos as I proceed. Everything is buttoned up and I'm test driving at 7:45. Drove it to work this morning and it feels great, a much nicer driving experience.

As far as the B&M having aluminum bushings vs. stock and Schnell not having them, I think it's just the particular way that each designer decided to implement the scheme to retain the bushing. I can see no advantage to having (or not having) the aluminum bushing. Someone mentioned higher shifting forces and splitting the bushing but each is fully captured in the shifter housing so it's a non-issue. Besides - the forces at the bushings would appear to be largely the same -- just less mechanical leverage at the shifter (due to shortened length) causing "operator" to have to exert more force. Still the same amount of force to move the shifter cables as before (tranny linkage didn't change). The Schnell (and stock) all-nylon bushings appear to be quite robust.

Schnell unit == $159 minus $0.66 in loose change found under the console = $158.34 total unit cost. Plus I found the little damper that makes the ashtray lid open slowly was detached and on the floor under the console. Ashtray lid now opens and closes like it was designed (even though I don't smoke) -- bonus.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:32 PM
RLandis
Racer

You guys sold me....ordered mine today. For a guy who was going to be mod-free, I just installed pedals from Carnewal, X54 Tips, hood & airbag crests from Ralph Boothe, and here comes a SSK. Ordering wheels today.......what's next, and will the bleeding ever stop???
Old 05-20-2005, 07:59 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

[QUOTE=RLandis]You guys sold me....ordered mine today. For a guy who was going to be mod-free, I just installed pedals from Carnewal, X54 Tips, hood & airbag crests from Ralph Boothe, and here comes a SSK. Ordering wheels today.......what's next, and will the bleeding ever stop???[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the TT Spoiler Switch install on the Dash!

At only 25% of the cost of the SSK, it's a seal! Ask us that same question again in a month and we'll give you another MOD to add to your collection

Quick Reply: Anybody Use the Short Shifter from Schnell?