996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Carnage from VIR - YIKES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005 | 04:56 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've only been to VIR once with limited track time but loved every minute of it. One of my favorite tracks. So come clean guys, what sort of times are you running? I got my butt kicked last year by both my co-driver and by Manny. I need to set some higher (lower) goals for this years race.
Jim

Last edited by JimB; 04-29-2005 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2005 | 05:59 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manny Alban

T10 at VIR ranks very high on my list of "turns I'll never figure out".
Get a lumpy old 912 with fresh 04s and T ten is a pussycat. WOT up the hill and slight left foot brake at turn in to set the nose and go. The corner is not early or late as the exit off camber kills the normal "late is safe" factor. If the car feels set and good as you come up on turn out you were too slow through the corner. A slight 4W drift to the right and keep the car is pointing slightly track left as you hook up at the exit point. Don't change your power input until the car loads back up unless you need some throttle steering. I don't get to TS as I am WOT in turn and TTO would realy suck.
(The above is for a low power sticky tire reac, please don't try this and sue me)

It is the "extra" two cyls that are getting you guys in trouble. I wll gladly take them off you hands and set you up with a nice safe (read boring) pushrod 4.

Kidding aside. My condolences on the car. Glad you will be back up and running soon and have a good mind set on things.
Old 04-29-2005 | 07:28 PM
STRSHP
Racer

Hollywood, are you telling me that you can get that 912 to drift? In a turn?!! While on the track?
Old 04-29-2005 | 08:17 PM
SRL
Racer

Hey, by the way guys, it is cool that there isn't alot of trash talk on this forum, as there is on others. It seems that most here care about fellow enthusiasts. On the vette board everyone had an opinion without having facts. "11/10ths at VIR" is an opinion. Here the guy shows me in pictures stating at what "10th" I'm driving. Whatever. Just because I was going faster than he was comfortable and I made a mistake, does that make me a bad driver? I'm LEARNING. The mistake cost me. Will I make another? YES. I just hope it doesn't cost me next time, or the next, etc. I love to drive at the track. Sometimes I push it a little. I know there is always the possibility of well...(see above). But mind you this: I was having fun - before I screwed up at least. And I will be back out there asap.
Matt, I sure hope the "other forum" people going off on you and the other drivers involved here don't track their cars! Karma is a bitch, and if there's one sure saying in racing (understanding that this was an HPDE, but hey, track time is track time) it's "there are two types of drivers, those who have hit the wall, and those who will" (well, maybe "the way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a large one" is true too )

The important thing is to learn from your mistakes, and it sounds like your attitude toward this is very healthy. Hang in there, and get back out there and apply your new knowledge!

I have noticed that the best drivers I've raced against are always more interested in what caused an incident than the results of the incident and where to apply blame. Maybe there's a lesson there......

EDIT: Oh, and when did it become cool to take damage pics at the track (and post up on the internet no less).....I thought the tradition was pretty much that doing so was not encouraged.....
Old 04-29-2005 | 10:16 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

i was involved in a rather freaky track incident few years back. no, the car wasn't as beautiful as the gt3 on this thread, but right after the incident some f'er came up to take pix and then proceed to ask, " since you aren't driving, can i borrow your hot lap timer...." i kid you not!!! if my friends were there, i would have ran him over with my semi disabled carnage.

like SRL said, if we track enough sooner or later we will kiss a wall or a tree .... the key is to learn from our and others mistake rather than blame or speculate.
Old 04-29-2005 | 10:52 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

I have seen people wander around the paddock taking pictures of damaged cars and wondered how they could do that also. If someone took a picutre of my car after a mishap I would probably chase their *** down and break the camera....or at least tell them to f off.

Quick Reply: Carnage from VIR - YIKES!!!