Sponsored by:

A Bridgestone Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Viken is correct, the SO3 is not and has not been a N-Spec tire. A dealer probably left them on there and figured you wouldn't notice the differnce.

Jim, the SO2 is N-rated for the 996 but has been replaced by the SO2A...but you can still get the N-rated SO2 if your dealer/tire dealer can get a hold of them. I had SO2's on my 996 when they were the approved tire and have a set on my track tires currently till they wear out then I will replace with the SO2A.

Thx Dell for the info. I absolutely love the S02A's. Knowing that you are very particular about your car and what goes into it or on it, I'd wager you'd be very happy with S02A's.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:40 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Thx Jim, I'm looking forward to getting into the SO2A's just as soon as I can for my next set of tires (unfortunately I have only 500 miles on my Conti's). I am thinking that I will probably replace the Conti's with the SO2A's for my street wheels and then when my SO2's go on my track wheels I will get a more specific track tire.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:49 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx Jim, I'm looking forward to getting into the SO2A's just as soon as I can for my next set of tires (unfortunately I have only 500 miles on my Conti's). I am thinking that I will probably replace the Conti's with the SO2A's for my street wheels and then when my SO2's go on my track wheels I will get a more specific track tire.
I liked the Contis, a lot actually, it is just that they only lasted 2,000 miles
Old 04-25-2005, 04:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

WOW!!! Only 2K? What in the world caused that? Did you use them at the track as well?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:01 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

WOW!!! Only 2K? What in the world caused that? Did you use them at the track as well?
Yup. I don't want to switch to r compounds or slicks yet because I like the progressive failure and the way that street tires "talk" to you when you do something stupid, not that I would ever do such a thing. Also, I like having tires that are capable in the rain since I drive back and forth to the track without hauling extra wheels and tires.

When I installed the S02As, I adjusted the camber from -2.5 to -2. We will see if that helps a little.

By the way, I think that is the reason I hydroplaned at VIR. Both of my rear tires were worn to the bars, but only on the insides. You really couldn't see it unless you were looking for it.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Scared me for a second there! I think you got only 2K as street tires. I totally agree with the progressive failure of a street tire at the track. Which is why I like my SO2's on my track tires. Their grip is incredible but I can still feel that point where there are moving into grip failure mode.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:37 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

The S03 are a fine tire if your looking only as a replacement tire. Porsche Approved N tire are not to say they are better, but that the tires meet the criteria of the factory. Bridgestone probably choose to certify the S02A rather than the S03 because the S03 is more of a wet/dry tire as the S02 is more of a dry performance tire. Is the S03 a worse tire? I would say no for your purpose and may even be better due to the fact it last longer and may be better in the rain. One of the negative of the S03 is that it weighs more, and it might not have the ultimate grip as other tire, but if your not tracking the car who cares. The S03 is a quality, long lasting, DOT safe tire at a reasonable cost. Is there better yes it can be debated, but make your decission based on your needs, safety, longevity, and cost.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The S03s blow away the P-zeros that my car came with, excellent in the rain and better wear. I only got 9k miles out the P-zeros. That being said, my next tires will be S02As (they weren't available yet when I got the S03s).
Old 04-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

You'll love the S02A's...
Old 04-26-2005, 12:30 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I unfortunately replaced my well worn P-Z's with S02's. There are unbelievably noisy on the freeway. The tire drone even makes my 3 y/o son complain. I should have gone with the S02A or any other brand for that matter.

Quick Reply: A Bridgestone Question