996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Auto Dimming mirror-- Part ID Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:34 AM
cmg
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it seems there are at least two of us that have had the exact same problem. I recently purchased an NOS mirror exactly as Chrisp3 describes & it's cam lock is to big for the stock mount on my 04 Targa windshield. Does anyone have the corresponding windshield mount or suggestions? Alternatively I will have this new mirror available for sale. I also orderd but have not received the harness & black plastic clips described. Thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 04:03 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisp3
For loren: Thanks for the info......Unfortunately, I am beyond the point of being able to return parts as the mirror was bought from a private party. What do I need to do in order to make this mirror fit on my 1999 windshield? Is there an adapter or special windshield mount I can buy?
Yes, the automatic wiper sensor mount would be the correct one.
Not sure how expensive it is.
I assume that a windshield shop could swap it for you, or you could frankenstein the new neck to your original windshield attachment (just not sure how until you have both side by side).
Old 09-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Chrisp3, Can the harness easily be removed from the mirror?

Originally Posted by Chrisp3
Need some help with a problem the local Porsche mechanic and parts guys can’t seem to solve? I am trying to install an auto dimming mirror in my 99MY C2 and purchased an electronic auto dimming mirror (Porsche part number 99673151102). According to the local Porsche dealer fits a 2001 MY car. I have also purchased the wiring harness and plastic cover that surrounds the mirror once it is all put in place (part # 99661298400 and 9967318110101C – left and right halves)

When the tech pulled the car into the bay to remove the old mirror he noticed that the mounting bracket attached to the new mirror was much larger than the original and declined to go any further because “he could tell” that the new mirror would not fit. He calims the jaws on the new mirror are way too big to attach to the windshield mount.

Has anyone performed this mod and run into a similar issue? I have attached a pic that shows the new bracket and was wondering if I might still be missing an adapter plate or some such thing???? There is some thought (on the part of the tech) that this mirror might have come off a car that had the factory integrated rain sensor and that I might need to buy a rain sensor in order to mount the mirror?????? Any clues?

I hate to start all over as this mirror already has the V1 and the K40 readouts etched into the mirror.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:55 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably semi-OT, but I bought a Gentex 453 mirror used off eBay, along with a camlock-to-wedge adapter. I have a cab, so I had to run a 3-conductor wire from the mirror through the dome light, across the top of the windshield, down the A-pillar, and underneath the dash to the center console (phone connector). The mirror mounts solidly using the adapter and I only see any vibration when the engine is dead cold. Otherwise, I have auto dimming, compass, and Homelink. It cost me maybe 120 bucks all in, including the wiring harness for the mirror and the little plastic cover that hides the wires between the mirror and the dome light. It isn't as clean or straightforward an install as the Porsche/Audi kit, but it looks pretty good, provides Homelink (which was important to me), and the price was right.

There are several posts out there about installing these mirrors. FWIW, it's much easier if you have a coupe, as all three wires (12v switched, 12v constant, and ground) are available at the dome light. Cabs are missing one of the 12v lines at the dome light, hence the extra wiring.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Robilium
1st Gear

Default Blurry or double vision?

Hi guys I have a 2001 c4s with auto dim and rain sensor. The rear view mirror isn't leaking like most of the people have said here. However everything I see in it looks like slight double vision and almost gives you a headache looking at it. It does this whether the auto button is on or off. When the button is on the green led works. Is this normal? It kinda sucks.

Has anyone replaced their rear owe with one of the new aftermarket mirrors with the backup cameras integrated? I dive want to break my rain sensor or side mirrors which seem related?

Quick Reply: Auto Dimming mirror-- Part ID Issue