Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does Western General Ext. Warranty cover the RMS Leakage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 07:26 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does Western General Ext. Warranty cover the RMS Leakage?

I live in Cali and one of the only warranty companies I can use is Western General. Do you know if they cover this? Do you know of a company that does for sure? I am not trying to open up a can of worms here. But my dealer said there was a little seepage and could turn into a leak within a year.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:18 AM
every day
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest calling the service manager at the dealership that handles the WG product. If you're not satisfied with the answer, let me know. I work for an insurance company that insures auto dealerships (the largest insurer of auto dealerships in the US) and we have a service contract that will cover rms leaks - just let me know if you're interested...
Old 04-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Midnight Rider
Racer

How much do ext warrs cost for 996s, esp a 1999 model? thanks.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:06 PM
every day
Racer

Midnight Rider - There are lots of variables in service contract pricing: length of coverage, what components are covered, deductible, year and mileage of your car, how much profit the dealer wants to charge, who the insurance company is, etc...

It also depends on if you car is still under factory warranty or not - that can make a big difference. Here's a couple of examples:

99 C2 40,000 miles, 2 year 24,000 mile powertrain coverage would run around $2800.
03 C2 25,000 miles, 4 year 50,000 mile powertrain coverage would be about the same price.

These are just a couple of examples, but the best advice I can give you is to buy one from a dealer that you trust - but make sure you read everything about what it covers and doesn't cover. Buyer beware....
Old 04-23-2005, 04:45 PM
amajestro
6th Gear

I would be careful. It sounds like you already have a problem. Most insurance won't cover pre-existing problems. It's kinda like buying insurance when your house is on fire.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:37 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil leak on the side of engine can be valve / cam cover and not RMS. If you have some seepage, price at least $1k for repair. Call warranty company and get it in writing. Usually, warranty company will deny claims in anyway they can, including accusation of tracking your car, modification as unrelated as a brake pad upgrade. Personally, I think warranty is just a pain.

Quick Reply: Does Western General Ext. Warranty cover the RMS Leakage?