Sponsored by:

Stupid Question regarding "Integrated Dry Sump"

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 12:02 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stupid Question regarding "Integrated Dry Sump"

In light of the "controversy" regarding the so-called "integrated dry sump" of the 996s and its inferiority to a true dry sump, why hasn't an aftermarket tuner developed a true dry sump retrofit kit? I mean, it would be possible, woudn't it? If not, why not? What am I missing?
Old 04-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, it's possible. And...Porsche motorsports has. And that = $$$$$$ (of course).
...and it requires machining of the valve / head covers. I am currently researching an Accusump system in addition to the Brey Krause pan upgrade. This should effectively eleminate any problems that Porsche created by not utilizing a true dry sump system.

Oh..BTW- there is NEVER a dumb question. Those who do not ask are the ones lacking...

Chad
Old 04-18-2005, 12:27 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Yes, it's possible. And...Porsche motorsports has. And that = $$$$$$ (of course).
...and it requires machining of the valve / head covers. I am currently researching an Accusump system in addition to the Brey Krause pan upgrade. This should effectively eleminate any problems that Porsche created by not utilizing a true dry sump system.

Oh..BTW- there is NEVER a dumb question. Those who do not ask are the ones lacking...

Chad
Chad,

Please keep us posted with the results of your research regarding the Accusump. Did you actually get any part numbers/prices for the Porsche motorsports option?

TD
Old 04-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep...$$$$$$$$$ That is all I am saying. If you have a 3.6L you don't really need to worry about it. I believe the issue was resolved. If you have a PET and repair manual, you can look up the parts needed and see what's involved. Let's just say...it's VERY involved. Also note that the oil upgrade is standard when you get the Powerkit for the 3.4L engine. I'll try to post the installation PDF's tonight.

Chad

Quick Reply: Stupid Question regarding "Integrated Dry Sump"