996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Airbag deactivation kit question.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 01:28 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Airbag deactivation kit question.......

I purchased a used airbag deactivation kit (no seat to go with it, just the bar for under the seat).

I know I need to use either the Porsche seat itself, or get a buckle off of a Porsche seat to plug into the thing and then I can use any seat that will fit.

Does anyone know where I can find just the buckle part? (or does anyone have an old seat they'd like to sell?)

I'd prefer not to buy new car seats as my kids will rarely be in the car and I already have nice car seats. Just need to find a way to deactivate the airbag so on the rare occasion one will be in the front, they are safe.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
I purchased a used airbag deactivation kit (no seat to go with it, just the bar for under the seat).

I know I need to use either the Porsche seat itself, or get a buckle off of a Porsche seat to plug into the thing and then I can use any seat that will fit.

Does anyone know where I can find just the buckle part? (or does anyone have an old seat they'd like to sell?)

I'd prefer not to buy new car seats as my kids will rarely be in the car and I already have nice car seats. Just need to find a way to deactivate the airbag so on the rare occasion one will be in the front, they are safe.

Thanks in advance.
The only source of the male insert that I can imagine would be from a discarded Porsche child seat. It does not appear to be a standard male seat belt buckle. I explored my deactivation kit (because I use it with multiple non-Porsche child seats/boosters) and found that the male insert simply completes an electrical circuit in the deactivation half of the buckle. It should be a relatively simple task to rig in an SPST switch in the place of the deactivation buckle, then one would not need the male insert that is normally attached to the child seat.

You will always be alerted to when the airbag is deactivated due to the 60 seconds of flashing airbag warning light each time you start the car with it deactivated.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a guy on German ebay who sold the male part he made out of metal.

You can also get a male part from a 944 and cut a slot in it.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:52 AM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thanks for the info - any idea which model year 944 belts work?

Maybe I'll find an old used one and just cut off the male port and mod it myself.

Quick Reply: Airbag deactivation kit question.......