Sponsored by:

Changed the old dino oil last nite

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 10:18 AM
grizzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Changed the old dino oil last nite

Changed the oil last night-- tried to go to a dealer but im a skeptic at heart and didnt want to wait a week (blame my ADD)-- also called an indy porsche shop they wanted $170. So I went to the dealer bought a filter,washer, and an o-ring. Found out --you dont even have to jack the car up--how great is that!!!! 8mm allen/hex bit to do the plug- drain oil for 10-15mins then reach from the side and twist the oil filter cover off and pop on new o-ring and new filter. Fill with 8 qts of mobil's finest and check oil-start car-check oil-drive 5 mins-check oil and Im good for the weekend. Id say a 3/10 on scale of difficulty.
Btw i replaced my exhaust with the PSE last year so I consider myself handy.
Any questions?
Next Short shifter and maybe fabspeed bypass
Mike the shadtree mechanic
Old 04-14-2005, 10:30 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you really use dino oil over synthetic?

Oil changes are a nice little DIY that gives you satisfaction (well at least it does to me) and I agree the prices the shops want are unbelievable for the amount of time and work required. I could see the prices on my 993 because it was PITA to change the oil but not a 996.

Last edited by bet; 04-14-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:49 AM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Congratulations on you accomplishment, changing the oil should be a pleasure.

I find working on my 996 very therapeutic, it is a time where I can sit back and relax and enjoy the fine German engineering. I did the gt bypass pipes myself and it is simple to do, plus think of the excitement and anticipation waiting to go for that first ride after installation.

total blissful
Old 04-14-2005, 11:56 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

That's awesome. I might change the oil in my C4S sometime soon. The Renntech.org articles seem to be good for first timers etc.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

grizzy, welcome to the fun world of DIY .

i strongly recommend the short shifter. it makes ripping thru gears so much more ..well...uber.
bypass pipes are great weight reduction but be warned: THEY ARE LOUD! very loud! until u get upto coasting speed and can lift off the gas.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:35 PM
grizzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No iwent from synth to synth --i just wanted a headline that grabbed attention--
aben8057--where are u in NJ-- maybe i could hear what they sound like in person? You a member of NNJR-PCA?
Mike
Old 04-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ if u want a basic idea of what they sound like: click on this link and turn up ur volume slider on windows media to max. maximum windows volume (the one next to the clock) and crak ur speakers about half way to max or so depending on how good ur sound system is. the vid is of my car revving to i think 4k RPMs.

ftp://khanoma3:ADV50102@individual.u...a/MOV00407.MPG

Quick Reply: Changed the old dino oil last nite