Lo-Jack???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Fast 40th. I hear you, and I don't blame you (I did the same thing myself). I am just trying to give everyone the benefit of my further reflection on the issue.

Eli, I'm just trying to save you some money because, IMHO, there are better uses for your money, particularly when I do not think that Lo-Jack, when you understand what it can and cannot do, will really give you peace of mind for the type of concern you have.
Thanks for your comments, they are something to consider.....

I still haven't made up my mind on it just yet.....

-Eli
Old 04-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I had lo-jack installed in my car at the dealer. You do get an insurance break and if someone ever did flatbed my p-car away I would want the cops to track his *** down. Not to get my car back, but on the hopes that he can be prosecuted.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:26 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
I had lo-jack installed in my car at the dealer. You do get an insurance break and if someone ever did flatbed my p-car away I would want the cops to track his *** down. Not to get my car back, but on the hopes that he can be prosecuted.
Check carefully on the insurance breaks: Not every company offers a discount, and even those who do frequently offer you an alternative way to get the same discount. For me, the Lo-Jack did not offer any discount. Yeah, I would love to catch the crims, but I also don't want a "violated" car back.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:36 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eli at Pelican
Sorry to say but that is a reply that makes me a little "So you tell your family and friends to get a life and leave their house and garage door wide open? Why do material things need to be protected???? I'm not looking for your "IMO" comments here, and tell me to get a life just is rude!

It's been said many times before but I'm going to say it again because I hope that some day it will sink in & I'd like to know I helped: "IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING POS. TO SAY DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL".

"Not very nice of you" Sorry to sound a bit harsh, I'm just trying to express how offensive your comments are to me".

-Eli
Eli: What I am saying is that it would be overkill. Go talk to your local cops and ask them how many fine cars are stolen and not recovered and ask them how many had Lo-Jack. I think you would be surprised as to how many did and the cars were never recovered. It is very easy to remove the system when the car is stolen.

Your car already has a good alarm and cut-off. Someone who is going to have the ***** to flatbed your car out of a parking lot will probably know how to disable the Lo-Jack too.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Eli: What I am saying is that it would be overkill. Go talk to your local cops and ask them how many fine cars are stolen and not recovered and ask them how many had Lo-Jack. I think you would be surprised as to how many did and the cars were never recovered. It is very easy to remove the system when the car is stolen.

Your car already has a good alarm and cut-off. Someone who is going to have the ***** to flatbed your car out of a parking lot will probably know how to disable the Lo-Jack too.
I appreciate those comments, and I'm not upset, I think it was just a figure of speach "Get a life" that upset me.....

I'm still doing some research on the matter so I'll keep you all posted if I decide to install this thing....

-Eli
Old 04-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

I'll chime back in... About 10yrs ago, close to Eli's hood (Santa Monica), an acquaintance of mine (landlord) had his 993 cab stolen from his underground parking garage... Result: thanks to Lo-Jack car was recovered, crims were caught and spent a nice vacation in the big house (... hopefully they didn't drop the soap... )

I know "individual results may vary", but at least I know this was a success story. Hence why I had a nagging voice yelling at me to install it...
Old 04-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Check carefully on the insurance breaks: Not every company offers a discount, and even those who do frequently offer you an alternative way to get the same discount. For me, the Lo-Jack did not offer any discount. Yeah, I would love to catch the crims, but I also don't want a "violated" car back.
This is true... but I did get 10% or 15% off my Gieco policy.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Even more to consider I guess..... What do you pay on the dues? Do they vary?

-Eli
Old 04-14-2005, 01:49 PM
damant
Advanced

I got mine done through the dealer for $500 after some negotiations from $900...:-)

It's a piece of mind and it's not an arm and a leg so....

btw about your GHLs , do they sound a bit irregular/craked for about 15-30 seconds when started cold in the morning...?
Old 04-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

GHL's - Not at all, as a matter of fact the first min or two at 1K RPM they sound pretty tone. After the warm up then are very quiet..... until I start driving that is.....

-Eli
Old 04-14-2005, 01:53 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

My GHL's sound very nasty (rough and loud) for the first 30 sec. The OEM mufflers do a better job of masking morning rough idle.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

What RPM range do you have in the warm up? I have 1K....
Old 04-14-2005, 01:57 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

about the same. It is very balky in the morning and I have to let it warm up a little or play clutch games for the first few hundred yards. (It was 37 deg here this AM for reference. Car is in detached garage)
Old 04-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Talking

Originally Posted by leedav
(It was 37 deg here this AM for reference. Car is in detached garage)
This might be the reason, you're in a cold climate.....

-Eli
Old 04-14-2005, 02:00 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

This might be the reason, you're in a cold climate.....
No doubt. No complaint either. The GHL's are perfect!

Quick Reply: Lo-Jack???