Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rejex on New Rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005 | 01:19 PM
Holger B
Race Car

After using Rejex on the rims, what's your procedure for cleaning the wheels? I've been thinking about Rejexing them, but figure that after a few cleanings the Rejex will be gone and wonder if it's worth the effort in the first place. Any thoughts?
Old 04-08-2005 | 01:33 PM
bullbear
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had very good experiences with Rejex. I find they stay on a lot longer than you might otherwise think...
Old 04-08-2005 | 02:24 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Default Here is the word on Rejex and rims

1. Yes, Rejex is an excellent choice for both the face and the inside of the rim, assuming proper preparation.

2. It is best to apply Rejex AFTER, you have had wheel balancing. Because of the release properties of Rejex, the adhesive for wheel weights might not adhere properly, and you will loose the weight.

3. Preparation is the key to coating the wheel with Rejex. There is a significant amount of road oils and other gunk that stick to a wheel, so it is important to get the rim very clean before Rejex is applied. It is easiest to take the wheel off to work on it, this way you can see all of the rim to clean it throughly. First clean the wheel on both sides with a cleaner like simple green, or 409 to remove the obvious dirt, brake dust, etc. A toothbrush is a great tool to get in the nooks of the back of the rim face. Next use a solvent like 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner to get off the film that is still on the rim. You will be amazed at how brown your rag becomes after cleaning your "clean" rim. Buff the rim dry.

4. Next, apply the Rejex, buff it out, and let it cure overnight. This is critical to maximizing the properties of the Rejex. Of course you can put the rims back on the car while it is curing .

That is it. I have used Rejex on my entire car for several seasons, and am very happy with the results, especially on the windshield and font of the car. Very little dust sticks to the rims, and the little that does, wipes off with a moist rag.

I highly recommend Rejex.
Old 04-08-2005 | 02:34 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Thanks.

I'm really happy with my Rejex experience on the rest of the car (haven't tried it on the windshield yet either) and will try it on the rims in the future. The most amazing thing about Rejex is its longevity. The look is good, not great...but I'll take that trade off.
Old 04-08-2005 | 02:42 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Thanks Orient! That's what I wanted to hear! I use Zaino on my car and bought a bottle of Rejex for the rims. I might switch to Rejex for the car once my supply of Zaino runs out.

Do you just wash the rims with car wash? Would wheel cleaner strip off the Rejex? I guess if Rejex really works I wouldn't need anything more than a strong spray of water and some car wash.

Thanks again,
Old 04-08-2005 | 05:26 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by programmatore

Do you just wash the rims with car wash? Would wheel cleaner strip off the Rejex? I guess if Rejex really works I wouldn't need anything more than a strong spray of water and some car wash.

Thanks again,
I guess you are asking about washing after the application of Rejex? I really only wet wash the car 2 or 3 times a year ( it is against the law for it to rain in California after May 1st ), and yes, then I use car wash detergent ( I like the meguiars products). The rest of the time I take the dust and road grime off with a detailer spray and a moist micro fiber towel. Rejex is really good about preventing road grime from sticking with more than just a fine film held on by static charge. Same with the wheels, just a moist cloth will keep them looking like they just came off of the showroom floor.

What is most amazing is how bugs react to a car with Rejex on it. when most bugs hit the front or the windshield, the slide off before they splat, and the front is significantly cleaner. The goo that does remain, comes right off with a wet rag or with Stoner's Invisible Glass cleaner.
Old 04-08-2005 | 06:30 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Orient,

What do you use to clean the plastic on the outside of the car under the door jambs and in the wheel wells?
Old 04-08-2005 | 06:51 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fishman
Orient,

What do you use to clean the plastic on the outside of the car under the door jambs and in the wheel wells?
For that I use the Costco version of Simple Green, then I dress it with either Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel or lately, I have been using Meguires NXT Cockpit Shine Interior protectant. I also use this stuff on the aerodynamic panels on the bottom of the car.

Both give a nice sheen, but both should be wiped down to remove all of the excess. You should not be able to get any on your fingers if it is properly buffed up. Both have good water resistance, and keep the sheen for a good long time. They also do a good job of making the sway bars and the other metal parts that are painted black on the car get a nice gloss.

Old 04-08-2005 | 06:53 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Orient,

With a car that clean, you are truly insane, not that there is anything wrong with that

TD in DC
Old 04-08-2005 | 08:02 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Thank you, Orient. I'll do the same.

Quick Reply: Rejex on New Rims