996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Extreme tire ware

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 10:49 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The pictures clearly show more wear on the outside half of the tire. This would indicate your alignment (Camber) is way off. The dust is normal from any performance tire. The picture does not show any chunks out of the tire and what is on your finger looks like normal soot and tire dust. The spots on the floor look like spit from the tail pipes.

I am sure that your mechanic will find that the alignment is way off. Make sure he prints out the specs BEFORE and AFTER. However, if the new tires only have 2000 miles of street driving on them, they sure are wearing fast.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:18 PM
mim3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both new and old tires have more tire wear on the inside not the outside. The first pic I posted was from yesterday morning while pic 2 (rear shot/same tire/bottom page 1) was after the wife drove the car 200 miles. In those 200 miles the tire is almost bald. The black rubber mound on the floor is what fell off my finger when I tried to snap the pic. I guess the pictures don't do it justice. I will get the before and after alignment numbers. My service receipt says "rear toe was out".
Old 04-08-2005, 01:25 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not wear from bad camber. That's wear from bad toe. If your toe is way off, it will grind the tread off in a few thousand miles or less. The tread wear will be even across the tread, and you get rubber dust all over your rear bumper. If your car was a squirrely mess on the freeway, it would be toe out, otherwise, it is toed-in too much. I've played with a lot of alignment settings, and this is what happens if you go too much toe-in. It's ultra-stable with too much toe-in, and you can man-handle the heck out of it, but it feels slow and shreds your tires. On one of my test alignments, I extrapolated my tire wear out to about 3K miles, so you're probably running over 1/2" of toe. I was also running Conti SportContacts, and they're the worst tires I've ever owned, so I didn't mind thrashing them to death over all sorts of alignments and tests with very careful treadwear measurements. Good luck, but if I were a betting man (which I'm not), that's where I'd put my money.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Your wear pattern looks clearer in the later picture, and hanks for confirming that the wear is on the inside edges. My rear tires wear in that pattern too, though I get descent milege out of them. I have heard the same thing about highway and "straight" driving causing that wear pattern with a stock alignment specification. My car is a high mileage commuter, so I expect the inside shoulder to wear first on the rear tires. I don't like it, but I have come to expect it.

What does not compute is the short distance it took to wear your tires out. I think the poster above who pointed to a toe out condition may have it correct.

Quick Reply: Extreme tire ware