Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Guys With Porsche Brand Kids Car Seats....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Guys With Porsche Brand Kids Car Seats....

After alot of discussions, and measurements, and test fits, we have decided that a 996 will meet our needs

For those of you who have or are using the Porsche car seat in the front with airbag deactivation, how easy is it to remove the seat? We have decided that during the week the baby will be in a rear facing seat up front, then on weekends we will use a different (smaller) car seat in the back so the whole family can ride.

Now you guys can help me choose the car

Here are the choices:
'02 Cab (purchased later this year)
'01 Turbo Coupe (purchased in about a year and a half to let the 997 TT caused depreciation settle down)
'05 997 S cab (purchased in March '07)
'04 Turbo cab (purchased when the price gets down to about $95k...I think about April '07)

Thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All are great choices... but only you can make the right choice that fits your needs and family needs. IMHO get the most recent one you can afford. And also, why wait too long if you can start enjoying the dream today. Life's to short. And a day without a P-car is a day you never get back!

But if you really insist... I'm a coupe dude so I would go for the '01 Turbo Coupe! And BTW by then you won't need the freaking rear-facing baby seats!
Old 04-05-2005, 12:12 AM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fast40th
But if you really insist... I'm a coupe dude so I would go for the '01 Turbo Coupe! And BTW by then you won't need the freaking rear-facing baby seats!
You are right about that

Thats one advantage to waiting. Seriously if I want the high-priced choices I will have to wait, not only for further depreciation but for me to save enough cash (just a low paid Engineer). But thats the tradeoff, if I decide I can't wait then an '02 Cab (haven't decided whether to go C2 or C4 yet) will be just fine.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Bump for all you P-whipped guys who try to pick up chicks until they see the car seat.....busted
Old 04-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by Shark
For those of you who have or are using the Porsche car seat in the front with airbag deactivation, how easy is it to remove the seat? Thanks
The Porsche seats simply lift in and out like any other car seat. If its an infant seat, then the front harness will need to be released, of course. If its a toddler seat, in which the harness is released to let the child out, then you just pick up the seat.

One extra step with any Porsche seat used with a deactivation bar. A male seat belt type buckle will be running from the front, bottom of the child seat to the female buckle that is attached to the permanently installed deactivation bar under the front pax seat. When the child seat is placed in the car, this buckle is connected. It disarms the pax air bag (must be programmed with PST2). When the child seat is removed, this buckle must be disconnected.

Simple as that.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:49 PM
TallCoolOne
Instructor

The buckle comes off the seat and can be inserted into the deactivation bar so you can use any type of rear facing seat.****JUST BE SURE TO REMOVE THE BUCKLE WHEN YOU HAVE A PASSENGER IN THE SEAT***
Old 04-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by landlwilson
The buckle comes off the seat and can be inserted into the deactivation bar so you can use any type of rear facing seat.****JUST BE SURE TO REMOVE THE BUCKLE WHEN YOU HAVE A PASSENGER IN THE SEAT***
That is certainly true. I should have made that more clear. I bought only one Porsche child seat to get the deactivation bar. I then cut the deactivation buckle off of that seat and keep it in the pax door pocket to use when my grandchildren's various car seats are in place in the Porsche.

When the deactivation buckle is inserted, the Airbag warning light on the dash will flash for 60 seconds every time the ignition is turned on. Its pretty hard to miss as a reminder.

In my son-in-law's Toyota pickup, one simply has to insert the ignition key in a special lock and turn to turn off the pax air bag. This makes much more sense than Porsche's solution (not to mention cheaper), because children reach a point of growth in which they are not yet ready for airbags, but have grown to a size that requires them to use the standard car shoulder harness (that is, no Porsche seat with attached deactivation buckle is present).

Quick Reply: Guys With Porsche Brand Kids Car Seats....