Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help - Cold Start Loud Rattle - Anyone Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 11:11 PM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help - Cold Start Loud Rattle - Anyone Experience?

Can anyone help. I'll try to describe: Recently I have noticed that when the car starts cold and it does it's usual swooosh sound but it also has a loud rattle that almost sounds like the belt or alternator gone bad. It sort of reminds me in a way of my '78 911SC before the alternator went toast. There is also a whining sound but I think that's farily normal. The belt was just replaced a few weeks ago and I checked it and it's appears with normal tension so that's not it. It only does this upon cold start with the high rev. Anyone ever experience this? I'm worried. The voltage gauge seems normal too.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:27 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Dude, your car is f##ked.....

Only joking.
I have the same deal. When it starts, its a little ugly. The dealer says its cool, as does the local shop.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:36 PM
gonz911
Pro

Man, you totally freaked me out. Of course I read your line way below only to be releaved. You got me on that one. So they didn't explain the possibilities? Anyway, thanks for your response and I really do appreciate your humor!

Gerardo
Old 04-03-2005, 06:25 AM
Peter B
Rennlist Member

It might be a loose baffle in the silencer box - mine did that and it took the local OPC several visits before he correctly diagnosed the problem. The rattle goes if you place non-rubber soled shoe over the exhaust....

Quick Reply: Help - Cold Start Loud Rattle - Anyone Experience?