Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Got my orangeless headlights... now how do i put em in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 01:53 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the old style orange headlights on a '99 996. i have to replace the orang reflectors on the headlight assembly cause one snapped. can i replace them with what appears to be a clear marker from an '00? anyone know what that will look like?
Old 04-05-2005, 02:30 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by penguinking
i have the old style orange headlights on a '99 996. i have to replace the orang reflectors on the headlight assembly cause one snapped. can i replace them with what appears to be a clear marker from an '00? anyone know what that will look like?
Hi. Can you post a picture of the headlight? I want to see exactly what piece snapped off. If it is just the corner piece that snapped off then you can replace it easily (you need to specify whether you have headlight washers or not). I don't recommend getting a clear corner piece because it would look odd IMO.

The bottom amber (indicator) section of the '99 headlights are actually part of the assembly. I don't think they can be replaced/taken out. Try to do a search on eBay for used '00 or later (clear) halogen headlights -- a lot of folks are upgrading to Litronics and sell the old halogen headlights. The better upgrade is of course to get the Litronics Retrofit Kit which is about $1,100 new.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:58 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Toddel68, Its not the fog light, its the signal light. It won't bother anyone, providing he use a silver color bulb that lights up amber.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:39 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

programmatore - you're right: i'm referring to the corner piece thats just an orange reflector, not a light. i wasn't sure what it would look like if i just replaced that part with a clear one. since i have to replace it i thought i'd jump at the opportunity to install some clear pieces. thanks for the info, i think i'll stick with the amber since i dont have the money to upgrade to halogens/litronics
Old 04-06-2005, 03:04 PM
toddel68
Instructor

Originally Posted by jb26jb
Toddel68, Its not the fog light, its the signal light. It won't bother anyone, providing he use a silver color bulb that lights up amber.
I was referring to pics 15+16 on (in reading sequence) on http://hverheyen.vssi-eda.com/box_pics/lights/
As far as I understood the fog lights are converted to be on all the time as long as the normal lights are on. Or did I get it wrong somehow?
However, converted mine today and I love it. By the way: this orange plastic seems to be coming right out of hell. Hard as steel and flexible as chewing gum. Must be the only plastic part on the car not designed to break under stress
Before in normal light:

At sunset with the the light in photographers back

After mod:

Thorsten
Attached Images    
Old 04-06-2005, 03:10 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great!

Now you need a silver hood crest to go with the clear headlights! I know, I know, the mods never stop!

Quick Reply: Got my orangeless headlights... now how do i put em in?