996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How fast do you guys actually drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 10:13 AM
RLandis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast do you guys actually drive?

I'm mystified by some of the stories I read on these forums. I have a passport 8500, but it still doesn't make me feel protected enough to drive at some of the speeds you guys claim (I'm talking about on streets & highway). Yeah, I let it rip here & there, but as a steady diet, these claims of 130-170 are pretty amazing....it's is called prison where I live......This question isn't posed to lecture or disagree....it's more about how do you work up the nerve with cops all over the place?
Old 03-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

in canada,highways rn't as heavily patroled and the highways are divided so cops can't cut across many lanes. also inbetween provinces and cities (or between townships) its just like forest and farmland. no one can hide anywhere.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:25 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey RLandis, I never thought about it, i just do it....Most times when i hit those kind of speeds, they are on my local highways.I can only say this for me , but when i am hitting those speeds say like 260 KHM, (160MPH) its for a brief moment and i start to backdown.If we get caught doing these kind of speeds here...strait to jail!! I would love to hit those speeds everytime i am out..but i guess its the right time and right place type of deal.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:26 AM
irv09
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had my 2001 C4 up to 136mph and I was very uneasy at that speed. I think most of your fellow drivers are plain bad and there is great potential at a high speed of a person pulling out in front of you and causing an accident that could lead to serious injury. I agree with you in terms of the police; in North Carolina I believe it is jail without the car. . . .
Old 03-30-2005, 10:33 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by irv09
I have had my 2001 C4 up to 136mph and I was very uneasy at that speed. I think most of your fellow drivers are plain bad and there is great potential at a high speed of a person pulling out in front of you and causing an accident that could lead to serious injury. I agree with you in terms of the police; in North Carolina I believe it is jail without the car. . . .
You should have bought a VW...its a nice safe shiny car..
Old 03-30-2005, 10:35 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

the other day on the way to knoxville after being frustrated by a 18 wheeler/minivan combo for 12 miles, i gunned it.... as i realised trees started going by a bit too fast i looked down to see 135, I quickly slowed down.

just to clarify, dry clear day with literally no other cars on the road
Old 03-30-2005, 10:46 AM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Driving a p-car actually makes me more cognizant of the speed limits due to the fact that the car stands out so much. I've had mine to 121 mph, usually speed is done in short bursts on lonely roads where the probability of getting caught is low. There are way too many speed traps to consistently drive fast. I get more of a thrill on on-ramps and the occasional twisty.Personally, I think getting good exit speed off my favorite on-ramp is more satisfying than mashing the pedal on the interstate.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:17 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

i was driving up from SC this past weekend. It was about 8 am in the morning between Charleston, SC and Charlotte and it was me, the birds, the trees and the highway. Did 120 mph +/- for a good hour. It made the rest of the trip suck, as it seemed like I was going so slow. I should also mention the speed limit was 70. Funny things is that what few cars were road, all moved to the right as I passed.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

duhhh....whats the problem ?? Can't you move to Utah?

Here there are still a good number of unrestricted autobahns but the problem is you have to share them. There is no problem running at a steady 200kph, but when you want to go faster you have to be careful.

Having said that it is possible to run at maximum speed for an enjoyable amount of time.

However, if there is an accident of any sort you can expect the usual view of Porsche driver going too fast.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:28 AM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Come on down to Fl if you want to have some fun.

Most of the rural roads that run east to west (visa versa) are unpatrolled for large distances making 130 plus very realistic.

The 2 lane roads thru the country farms are very wide in each lane making passing in a Porsche easy, even with a car coming toward you.

The penalty here for say 130 in a 55 mph zone is $400 without jail or impounding.

FL is the place to live if you have a Porsche, esp a Cab, all yr around topless driving.

Cabman
Old 03-30-2005, 11:53 AM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts

The track. VIR, Watkins Glen, Summit Point, etc... I don't think I have the sack to hit those speeds on the street. Most (not all, but most) street only drivers here in the Wash DC metro area are pretty poor drivers and I (a pretty poor track guy) can't take those chances. That said, I'm no choir boy. But the on ramps and off ramps are far more interesting than holding the throttle down indefinitely and watching everything turn into a blur. Just my .02

-KJ
Old 03-30-2005, 12:14 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

On days I commute in with my car (like today it's 60 and sunny!) I will hit parts of the NYS thruway where the car pushes 3 digits, but it's not for very long.

The fastest I've had my car was 147 on a stretch of I-81 which was perfectly straight for about 4 miles and fantastic visibility with no other cars around... did it just to see what that speed felt like then slowed down.

The 911 is so deceptive between 75-100 MPH, I'm always amazed when I pass someone then look down and I'm doing 105.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't mind the FL rules.... $400.00 is nothing.... Cabman, what's the penalty for running? I wouldn't mind trying that if the penalty wasn't that much.... $1200? $1500? $2000?

D)

-Eli
Old 03-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Ekename
Pro

I'm almost ashamed to admidt that I've only barely cracked the century mark. There are just too many troopers and too much traffic down here. And most of 'em are hard asses too. Back in November I was driving my Saab to San Antonio, the interstate was practically empty and I was doing 75 in 70. Got busted. No sympathy from the trooper. Cost me $200 bucks.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:43 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

indeed - i was caught on 290 on my way to Austin one time....not cool

however, the drive up from houston to dallas is quite smooth - whenever i wasnt in traffic it was 110-120 all the way.

Quick Reply: How fast do you guys actually drive?