Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 cab VS. m3 cab anyone with experience?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 01:37 PM
tmy727
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi

M3 cab is a much better translation than the carrera cab. carrera cab has got to be the most disproportionate car out there on the road today.
Curious as to why you feel that the Carrera Cab. is the "most disproportionate car out there on the road"? ... and that the M3 Cab. is "much better... than the Carrera Cab."?

Most threads that I've read are quite the opposite.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:56 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Consider power to weight ratio also.

996 Cab 3120/320=9.75
M3 Cab 3780/333=11.35

How the M3 can run 0-60 in 4.9 is beyond me. Must be a stickly road surface below sea level.

M3 cab weighs 300lb more than M3 coupe. 996 cab is only 90lb more than coupe. Another example there is no substitute.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:31 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
I'd have more faithin E46 M3 reliability than 996 N/A power.. at least BMW steps up to the plate and offers an extended warranty. what's porsche done so far with RMS.

you guys are a crack up.

both cars are heavy and offer lighter and better performing coupes. if you're going convertible, always know you sacrificed performance for drop top fun.

M3 cab is a much better translation than the carrera cab. carrera cab has got to be the most disproportionate car out there on the road today.
I drive both an E46 M3 and a 996 regularly. How you can compare the engine failures on the M3s, where the engine entirely self-destructs, with RMS failures, where you get an annoying, but non-self-destructing, spot of oil on the garage floor is beyond me. There simply is no substitute , or comparison, for that matter. I could understand how one would say that the 3 series is more reliable than the 996, but the M3? Please.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the M3s, and they probably are a better "value" if you consider price. In my opinion, the M3 is like a teenage girl (legal of course), fast and exciting, but not very smooth. The Porsches are more like a mature woman, they don't feel as fast but they are far, far smoother, which, IMHO, is far more important both on the road and on the track, particularly on the track. Smoothness equals faster lap times. It is nice to play with the teenagers (again, legal of course), but, in the end, give me a woman who knows what she is doing any day of the week.

I agree that the M3 cab makes the transition visually better than the 996 cab, but the M3 cab is an overweight pig. M3 coupe is the only way to go.

Peace to my BMW brethren. I think the Porsche people and BMW people should gang up on the MB people rather than argue amongst ourselves.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

DJ,
You are describing weight to power ratio. Power to weight ratio is more like:

996 0.10 HP/LB
M3 0.088 HP/LB

And the M3 cab runs 0-60 in 5.1 sec according to Car & Driver

One M3 advantage is the 8,000 rpm redline. The car does run strong.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Davidmichael
Racer

If you really have to ask, you might as well get the M3.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:38 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shark
DJ,
You are describing weight to power ratio. Power to weight ratio is more like:

996 0.10 HP/LB
M3 0.088 HP/LB

And the M3 cab runs 0-60 in 5.1 sec according to Car & Driver

One M3 advantage is the 8,000 rpm redline. The car does run strong.

Thanks for the correction. BMW posted 4.9 sec on its site for cab and 4.8 for coupe. I don't know how 300lb difference translated into a 0.1s in 0-60. I think BMW uses its own tested number which probly resulted in trashing the gearbox after the test.

Weight to power ratio for M3 really reveals its weakness esp for the cab. The ratio is a good measure of whether it is pure sports car that is balanced and fun.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, BMWs in general are quite heavy. In my 540i I equated that to solidly built, but it detracts from the M3s mission. Still the M3 is a decent alternative if $$$ are tight.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:05 PM
MJM
Intermediate

Dave,

The question really isn't "Is the 996 better than the E46 M3?" (the answer is yes).

The question is "Is the 996 $20,000 (give or take) better than the E46 M3?"

For me the answer was yes. I traded an '03 M3 (with SMG) for a 40th Anniversary 996 (both coupes).

Regarding the M3 engine. 3.2 liter inline 6 with 333 hp and 262 ft/lbs (impressive indeed). Yes there was a bearing issue, but all S54 engines were recalled and given a 6 year 100k mile warranty.

Regarding SMG. Contrary to popular belief, there is a significant learning curve with this transmission. Different throttle modulation is required depending on the situation at hand. With practice, the SMG can be shifted much faster and as smooth as any 6 speed manual.

I drove my M3 for almost 2 years and I didn't have a single problem with it. Most bashing of the M3 and SMG comes from people with little or no experience with either.

At the end of the day, I'm very happy I traded the M3 for the 996 (my first P-car). That said, the M3 really is a fantastic car. I wish I could have both.

Good luck with your decision.

Matt
Old 03-29-2005, 06:16 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by MJM
Regarding the M3 engine. 3.2 liter inline 6 with 333 hp and 262 ft/lbs (impressive indeed). Yes there was a bearing issue, but all S54 engines were recalled and given a 6 year 100k mile warranty.
I agree with nearly everything you said, but are you certain that all S54 engines were recalled? Unless I am mistaken, my brother-in-law's engine was not recalled. He did receive the 6 year 100k mile warranty and assurances from BMW that they would give him a new engine if his imploded, but I did not think that they actually did any warranty work on the engine.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:29 PM
MJM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I agree with nearly everything you said, but are you certain that all S54 engines were recalled? Unless I am mistaken, my brother-in-law's engine was not recalled. He did receive the 6 year 100k mile warranty and assurances from BMW that they would give him a new engine if his imploded, but I did not think that they actually did any warranty work on the engine.
It's my understanding that all S54 engines were recalled (starting last summer). I actually got my recall letter about a month after I traded the car (this letter is obviously different than the "6 year 100k mile" letter).

A quick check on Roadfly or call to the dealer would clarify, however.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:34 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a M3 cab, but my 996's have been coupes. So I can't make the exact comparison you're looking for, but will make a few observations.

I like the way the M3 drives. It's not as involving as a 911, but still a blast to spend time in. Calling it a "pig" is in no way accurate. It has much better than average rigidity for a convertible, cowl shake (I have the 18" wheels) and rattles are not an issue with mine most of the time (it takes major potholes to upset it). I have the 6 speed (SMG was not available when I got mine) and it's great, but the throws could be a little shorter. Reliability & build quality is better than any of my Porsches and IMO the engine issues are way overblown (similar to RMS). It's a lot more practical and seats 4 comfortably.

It's not a track car, but wasn't designed to be. It's a lively, entertaining street car at a reasonable price that seems to hold its value better than P-cars. I've really enjoyed mine and I'd buy another one. Is it better than a Carrera cab? I have no idea...and that really depends on what your expectations are and what you want to use it for.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:44 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Holger B
Calling it a "pig" is in no way accurate.
I really like the M3 AND the M3 cab. But . . . the M3 cab is way overweight, seriously. You can imagine a 996 cab on the track (not ideal), but an M3 cab on the track? No way. The M3 coupe, yes. It is heavy for its size but the engine is simply awesome. Of course, the 911 is getting heavier each year, so it might be considered porky by some.

In any event, an M3 convertible is a pig, an adorable pig, but a pig nonetheless. That would not keep me from considering it as a car, but only if I already had a different sports car. You have the ideal sports car already, so I can easily imagine why you would want an M3 convertible in your stable.

If you wonder why I act like I know so much about the M3 convertible, it is because I came very, very close to buying one in 2002. I chose the less practical and I bought a Boxster S instead. Completely different experience.

It's not a track car, but wasn't designed to be.
That is exactly what I meant by saying it was a pig.

It's a lively, entertaining street car at a reasonable price that seems to hold its value better than P-cars. I've really enjoyed mine and I'd buy another one. Is it better than a Carrera cab? I have no idea...and that really depends on what your expectations are and what you want to use it for..
I agree 100 percent. If you reread my earlier post, I think I made it clear that I really liked both cars, but that they were very different. That doesn't mean that one is bad and one is good, it just means that you need to know what you want.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Holger B
Race Car

I've driven plenty of cars that I thought were pigs. I don't feel that way about the M3 convertible and I've never heard anyone else say that. I guess we just have different perspectives & expectations.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:20 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I've driven plenty of cars that I thought were pigs. I don't feel that way about the M3 convertible and I've never heard anyone else say that. I guess we just have different perspectives & expectations.
Maybe you are right that it is a question of terminology, and perhaps context.

Keep in mind that I am talking solely about weight -- nothing else. My premise is that the M3 Convertible is unnecessarily heavy. That's it. I mean, seriously, don't you agree that the M3 Convertible is a relatively, and arguably unnecessarily, heavy car for how it is marketed? Nonetheless, I really like it.

As I said before, many call the late generation 911s porky. Since you have a GT3, you have the exception, not the rule. If the late model 911s can be called porky, then what is an M3 cab?

Also, keep in mind that I was responding to someone who was making it sound like Porsche owners were attacking M3s solely on illogical grounds.

The bottom line is that the M3 cab is a fine automobile provided that you know what it is and what it was designed to do when you buy it. If you are buying it to be a sports car (if that means a car you take to the track), then you are likely to be disappointed. Instead, it is a sporty car that is loads of fun to drive on the street. Can we at least agree on that?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Agreed that we both like it. We just don't agree on all the adjectives. It's all good.

Quick Reply: 996 cab VS. m3 cab anyone with experience?