Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Almost out of warranty! What else can go wrong?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 02:08 PM
ettil
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Almost out of warranty! What else can go wrong?!?!

Less than a month before my 4 years is up ('01 996 C4 28,500mi) and while generally I'm not a believer in extended warranties this car has me rethinking it all! As there are many other more experienced owners and cars with many more miles I'm trying to get an idea of what else might go wrong before I give away $3500.

Under warranty replacements/fixes:
ABS hydralic unit and master brake cylinder with assorted swtiches.
The theft control unit and a door lock unit.
I ended up with a new head unit and cd player only to find my car wasn't wired properly in the first place. Though they'll head out the door once there's an iPod solution I like.
The consol lid hinge broke.
I got new wheels because the first set was rusting out.
In a vain attempt to fix an odd thumping noise the driveshaft, steering rack, struts, and lastly control arms were all totally replaced.
Fuel gauge has been recalibrated.
The vapor recovery carbon container was replaced last month.
And I joined the rear main seal club last month!
Plus on Monday I get a new O2 sensor.

Any other suggestions for what else might go wrong? Haha that's looking on the bright side. I love my car, I really do but at what point do I say enough? AOL stock options were good to me but I'm a poor student now without a place to work on the car myself

-ettil
Old 03-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ettil
Any other suggestions for what else might go wrong? Haha that's looking on the bright side. I love my car, I really do but at what point do I say enough? AOL stock options were good to me but I'm a poor student now without a place to work on the car myself

-ettil
Poor student driving an '01 996. I am sorry. I feel your ya on the repairs, but...that's funny.

C.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:54 PM
ZeeZee
Instructor

RMS could go again, or could require a new engine if it's out of spec. Your water reservoir will melt in 10k miles ($700 to fix). Not much else, honestly. I have an extended that I paid a silly amount for, but I've gotten back about 25% of the value through little things like the water bottle.

These cars are overall very reliable (search posts on this board), but like all high-performance vehicles, do have some issues. With the exception of RMS, all of the issues are pretty small, but of course unlike a Honda will cost a pretty penny when they come up.

If Porsche will sell you a warranty, I'd get that. Otherwise, look carefully at other options...
Old 03-24-2005, 03:31 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chads996
Poor student driving an '01 996. I am sorry. I feel your ya on the repairs, but...that's funny.

C.
"Wish I had a Porsche while going to college"...
Old 03-24-2005, 04:59 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

i thank the lord i never wasted 4 or more years of my life in college.. otherwise i'd probably be driving a beater paying back my college loans waste of time... heh..
Old 03-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Back to the subject.... I'm going to buy my extended warranty very soon. I'm going for the 4 yr coverage.... It's going for something like $3200.....

-Eli
Old 03-24-2005, 05:52 PM
ettil
AutoX

I am so glad I could provide the comic relief for the day! At least I got my mid-life crisis out of the way before I hit 30. Oh wait I'm a girl I'm not supposed to have those problems. It's ok you can laugh about that too

I do read the boards, I just don't post much. Mostly everyone complains about RMS, gearboxes, and how to upgrade sound systems. At least I didn't ask which warranty company to go with Nor did you all get yet another poor pitiful me story about RMS (supposedly no new engine for me). I was told that gearbox replacements happen because users can't drive properly.

I blame hungover Germans (never accept an after x-mas break build slot!)

-ettil
Old 03-24-2005, 06:08 PM
ZeeZee
Instructor

There are only a few reputable aftermarket warranty companies. Many of them refuse service claims or go out of business. I'm with Primus Care, supposedly backed by Ford. I can't vouch for their solvency, but they have paid my claims with a credit card in the past, so for now they seem fine.

I wish that Porsche sold an RMS insurance policy alone - something like 5 years/100k. Would make the ownership experience a lot more comfortable for most peopla...
Old 03-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I don't believe in extended warranties either. But, when offered on my car when I bought it after the lease, I jumped at it. I know and believe the car is reliable despite the way we drive it, but certain posts about those once in a blue moon unfortunate and even sequential disasters made me get it. If for nothing else, for peace of mind. If I were strapped for cash and figuring out priorities, though, I probably would think twice about it and see if there was something more important to me that I'd rather spend the money on.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:47 PM
redcab
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's my logic on extended warranties:
Imagine a 2 x 2 matrix... and decide where you sit
(let me see if I can type the graph right)

* love car * it's just a
* couldn't * fun car
* imagine * that I really
* being w/o * enjoy while
* it * I have it
I have $ * *
to absorb* *
a $15K * 1 * 2
repair * *
bill * *
I'm * *
poor * 3 * 4

case 1: keep the ~$3500 for an extended warranty in your pocket, to spend on (unavoidable) future repairs. After a while you may have spent more or you may have spent less than the cost of the extended warranty. Statistically / probabalistically you will spend less than the $3500. How do I know? Companies would not be offering to pay your way for $3500 if they didn't think they could make money. This case is also called "self-insurance".

case 2: again, keep the $ in your pocket. If / When the repair bills pile up to the point of bothering you, sell the car and move on.

case 3: I'd go for the extended warranty for the piece of mind. If I don't have the $3500, I'd sell the car. Face it, these cars do cost $ to maintain.

case 4: just like case 2.

So in summary, the best way to keep $ in your pocket is to have the attitude "it's just a car" and drive it hard and enjoy the heck out of it!
Old 03-24-2005, 08:47 PM
redcab
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

so much for my attempt at text graphics. sorry.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:51 PM
Res Ips
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bummer.

I think it depends on how much you like THIS Porsche. Would it be better to sell the car and start over agian, or buy an Ex. warranty and hope for the best. I think its a crap shoot either way. It is mostly dependent on how you feel about this particualr car that will push you one way or the other.

Porsche repairs can be expensive and those who own them know this. Those that don't own them yet need to consider this before they buy one. If one can't afford the repairs, then they shouldn't buy this car. Those that have them should be ready to pay when such repairs are needed.

Good luck.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:15 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

while there has been talk of some small minor fixes here and there for a few hundred dollars... there can be some major $$$ replacement fixes that randomly happen thast can potentially ruin a college kid loaned up the *** already in college loans, financially and leave him carless...

rebuilt engine replacement with damaged/unreturnable core = $13,000-$15,000+
rebuilt gearbox with damaged/unreturnable core = $10,000-$12,000+
rebuilt transmission with damaged/unreturnable core = $12,000-$14,000+

although these incidents don't happen often that happen like rms, they CAN happen and have to many members here..
these alone should make one consider a replacement warranty...

i know my experiences are rare, but i went through 3 of the above in less than 1,100 miles so i do know they CAN happen...

to each their own... i'd get an extended warranty just to sleep at night.. imho it's worth the $10 a day in stress off my mind...
Old 03-25-2005, 10:33 AM
rhunt
Advanced

Bad grounds on seat belts...

Quick Reply: Almost out of warranty! What else can go wrong?!?!