Sponsored by:

A Thesis Paper's Worth Of Info On PSS9 Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 11:02 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Alex, to clarify, they are both prone to the problem but the C2 is markedly less due to different mounting positions relative to the bump stops.
Sounds reasonable.
Chris
C4s Surgeon, I am not reading the same thing you are. I have heard many issues with the C4s, but NONE with the C2s. The suspensions really are remarkably different and share little to none of the same components. I think it is more than just a minor difference in relative mounting positions. Of course, a C2 could have problems if it is not aligned correctly or if the shocks are set incorrectly, but I have never heard of the "bump stop" type problem associated with C4s, C4Ss, or Turbos.

I would bet that the problem with Rob's car is due to incorrect setup for his car/driving, but that it is not the same type of problem experienced by the AWD models. Of course, I have never seen Rob's car, so my opinion is worthless and only an opinion. I know that I don't know it all, so I mean no insult by my opinion.

For what its worth, I use my car on the street and the track, and the PSS9s work great for me NOW that they have been set up correctly. When they were first installed, the rears were set too soft, and each were set at a different setting. It handled much better than stock, but it still "skipped" through hard corners. Now that it has been tuned in, the car sticks like glue. It may be a little stiff for the street, but I bought a sportscar and I like that feel

TD in DC

Last edited by TD in DC; 03-25-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great Thread all!

I have been looking at the PSS9's for my '02 C2. I track my 986 quite a bit and I've modified my stock set up with new springs, shocks, and bars. This adjustment have given me much more secure handling at the track but it has compromised the street ride and (still) does not allow me to corner balance the car.

I have been considering the PSS9's for my 996 due to the adjustibility that they provide (plus the side benefit of a less compromised street ride). The 996TT thread is interesting because I have not heard anything but glowing recommendations for the PSS9's from friends that have fitted them to their 986's.

It is good to hear from sharkster that C2's do not seem to exhibit the same problems with PSS9's at the 996TT's.

My questions are......for those that have the PSS9's on your c2's what ride heights are you using?

Does anyone have the ride heights for the GT3 MkII (that was the ride height I was planning on using).

Comments? Advice?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:39 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Alex, to clarify, they are both prone to the problem but the C2 is markedly less due to different mounting positions relative to the bump stops.
Sounds reasonable.
Chris
There we go- perfectly said
Old 03-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll measure the ride height this weekend and we will see where we are with this (posted the alignment spec earlier).
just to reiterate what "I Think" is the issue - the car is set too low limited travel of the shock piston Add to this the reletive modest increse in spring rate with the PSS-9 system + my driving style = an issue for me. I believe the suspension is fully compressed in a some corners (skid pad/Auto-x situation). throw in the uneven surface we play on up here (bremerton raceway, an air strip track). and that is where i am at.
i have not had the 996 on the track so i cannot evaluate it there.
Also just to throw something else into the mix - i am comming from a 92 carrera cup car with the series race suspension (600/900 lbs springs, Blistien cup shocks, (later moton 2-ways (not CS) etc.) so i am a bit biased as to setup. This undouptably is tempering my view of the PSS- system.
here is a picture of the ride height
Old 03-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Interesting points raised. Thanks for posting. Firms up my decision to go with the X73/74 when the time comes.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:45 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cupcar#12
i'll measure the ride height this weekend and we will see where we are with this (posted the alignment spec earlier).
just to reiterate what "I Think" is the issue - the car is set too low limited travel of the shock piston Add to this the reletive modest increse in spring rate with the PSS-9 system + my driving style = an issue for me. I believe the suspension is fully compressed in a some corners (skid pad/Auto-x situation). throw in the uneven surface we play on up here (bremerton raceway, an air strip track). and that is where i am at.
i have not had the 996 on the track so i cannot evaluate it there.
Also just to throw something else into the mix - i am comming from a 92 carrera cup car with the series race suspension (600/900 lbs springs, Blistien cup shocks, (later moton 2-ways (not CS) etc.) so i am a bit biased as to setup. This undouptably is tempering my view of the PSS- system.
here is a picture of the ride height
Rob,

Could it be that you need to choose stiffer settings on your PSS9s? I had problems with my car when my rears were set too soft. No problem once everything was adjusted correctly.

TD in DC
Old 03-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How easy is it to change the damping of the PSS9's.... what is the process and how long does it take? do you have to take wheels off?

I had a 92 Mr2 Turbo and had GAB adjustables... adjustment was super easy... just take the shock tower cap off and adjust from 1-5 with a small screwdriver... adjust 4 shocks = 5 minutes.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

yes i think stiffer springs would help - but the question is do iwant to invest in this system or one that is more suited to what and how i drive.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c70Pete
How easy is it to change the damping of the PSS9's.... what is the process and how long does it take? do you have to take wheels off?
just twist the lil adjuster ****.
i don't think you even need 2 take off the wheels to access it.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:40 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I will be doing the x73 on mine, can't outsmart the factory on this one.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:15 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cupcar#12
yes i think stiffer springs would help - but the question is do iwant to invest in this system or one that is more suited to what and how i drive.
I wasn't really talking about stiffer springs. I meant make the dampening stiffer. That's what helped me.

Quick Reply: A Thesis Paper's Worth Of Info On PSS9 Coilovers