996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Flat Tire Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

New tires on my wife's car...driving on 280 in the Bay Area a few years ago and got a flat. Big hole in side wall. Fixed the flat. Brought it over to Wheel Works or some such place for replacement...they pulled a spark plug out of the wheel!
Old 03-22-2005, 02:50 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

I'll take an unpopular position here...but if I had a puncture and had it repaired and it was doing OK and I wasn't going to track the car, then I'd run it. I know what Porsche says, but ya know, you got to go with the fact that there are about 3 billion tires out there that get repaired and operate flawlessly for thousands of miles after repair.

Porsche legal affairs probably has a direct line into the design dept. Make the car over steer because if it goes off a curve *** end first, its the driver's fault not the manufacturers. Specify a specific rated tire that is 'somewhat' different than common manufacture. If a tire blows at speed causing an accident and its not "N" rated, then its the driver's fault for using a non-recommended tire. RMS issues--don't acknowledge them, fix only under warranty if the customer gets loud...possible law suits maybe class action. Just my opinion...but I wouldn't just waste a tire like that.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:17 AM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JimPDX: I'll take an unpopular position here...but if I had a puncture and had it repaired and it was doing OK and I wasn't going to track the car, then I'd run it. I know what Porsche says, but ya know, you got to go with the fact that there are about 3 billion tires out there that get repaired and operate flawlessly for thousands of miles after repair.

Porsche legal affairs probably has a direct line into the design dept. Make the car over steer because if it goes off a curve *** end first, its the driver's fault not the manufacturers. Specify a specific rated tire that is 'somewhat' different than common manufacture. If a tire blows at speed causing an accident and its not "N" rated, then its the driver's fault for using a non-recommended tire. RMS issues--don't acknowledge them, fix only under warranty if the customer gets loud...possible law suits maybe class action. Just my opinion...but I wouldn't just waste a tire like that.
Right on Brah...The net-net for me is I will NEVER buy N-rated tires again. I would replace the tire at $110 to $150. When I replace the set it will be with something that makes replacing just one affordable. If I was going to track the car it might be different.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Was it a front or rear? Just out of curiosity...did the flat tire fit in the front compartment OK.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:42 AM
dallasboats
Pro

If the tire shop fixes it and feels good about it, why wouldn't you? They will tell you if it's safe or not, they have liability at that point.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
N-Spec=Porsche Approved
Z rated is just a basic 149+MPH rating.

What you are looking for is the Y rated tire (186MPH) is you are going to purchase a non N-Spec tire. But then again, there are many z rated tires that are quite nice. Remember, that Y has been introduced becasue Z was just 149+ and now with the greater technology in cars and the ever increasing top speed, Y had to be introduced b/c the delta b/t Z and the P-Car top speed (and other cars) is significant enough to add an new tire speed rating.
is there anything else special about the N-spec tire that makes them better than a normal Y rated tire like Pirelli Pzero's or Michelin Pilot Sport 2's apart from porsche approval (compound difference etc). Do r Compound tires also have N assignments?
Old 03-22-2005, 12:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is a great write-up that explains it really well:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...al/porsche.jsp
Old 03-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

thanks LVdell..much obliged.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:10 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Was it a front or rear? Just out of curiosity...did the flat tire fit in the front compartment OK.
RF, fit just fine. Kinda laid it at an angle to make I didn't bend the lid.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

No problem.

Cheers,
Dell
Old 03-22-2005, 11:25 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dallasboats
If the tire shop fixes it and feels good about it, why wouldn't you? They will tell you if it's safe or not, they have liability at that point.
dallasboats...can you explain what you mean when you say: "they have liability at that point"?

Last edited by Res Ips; 03-23-2005 at 03:04 AM.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:45 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

uh oh. here comes an ex post facto, or maybe a writ of mandamus
Old 03-23-2005, 12:38 AM
dallasboats
Pro

That's why they won't remount the tire and tell you to purchase a new one. CYA.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:38 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dallasboats
That's why they won't remount the tire and tell you to purchase a new one. CYA.

But...can you explain what you mean when you say: "they have liability at that point"?
Old 03-23-2005, 03:03 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Wink

Originally Posted by leedav
uh oh. here comes an ex post facto, or maybe a writ of mandamus

maybe just a motion to set aside judgement

Quick Reply: Flat Tire Today