Sponsored by:

Paint & Body Shop in DC

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 04:35 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint & Body Shop in DC

Need help from the locals, where is the best take to take my p-car to have my rear bump re-sprayed? I've heard mixed reviews about wagonworks

thanks
Old 03-10-2005, 11:42 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use First Choice in Arlington (just down the road from Porsche of Arlington and Wagonwerks).
Old 03-10-2005, 11:44 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

first choice eh? i'll give them a call..

thanks..

what should I expect to pay to have my rear bumper re-sprayed?
Old 03-10-2005, 12:22 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I am not entirely certain. You can certainly find cheaper, but it is difficult to find better in this area. Ray and Pete are the two guys I have always dealt with. They resprayed the bumper on my 01 X5 4.4 and they installed the Aerokit II on my former '02 Boxster S. They are top notch.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:43 PM
ettil
AutoX

If you're willing to go to Fairfax Circle check w/ European Body Works. They handle all of Rosenthal's jag work and Chris will work on germans. My 996 hasn't made it in yet but they did a phenomenal job on our former jag when hail destroyed all but 1 body panel. Excellent work the other occasions as well (full repaint before the jag was sold and November deer collision in a Ford Escape).
Old 03-10-2005, 07:49 PM
STRSHP
Racer

First choice did my 994T when the tree fell on it (interesting story) and did a great job. I had Carouserie do the spoiler on the front of my 996. They specialize in the restoration of older Porsches and did a great job. Either would be very good
Old 03-11-2005, 12:04 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys but I just need minor paint for my rear bumper. WIll they be able to match the color and blend it well?
Old 03-11-2005, 12:45 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redduck996
Thanks guys but I just need minor paint for my rear bumper. WIll they be able to match the color and blend it well?
Redduck,

I wouldn't worry too much about it since you just want a respray to get rid of scratches. Any of the bodyshops in the Washingtonian Magazine list I sent you should be able to do a good job.

Ettil,

I am glad you had a good experience with European Body Works. I checked them out a while ago to install my RUF RGT body kit but ended up going to Wagonworks II in Alexandria.

I didn't have a good impression of European Body Works. Chris was a pleasant guy to talk to but I was unimpressed with his shop. First, it was a mess out front with a bunch of cars (mostly Jags and Range Rovers) that look like they've been sitting there for months. Second, the workshop was in even worse shape -- it was dirty, parts were all over the floor and everything was in a state of disarray. Finally, while most shops have parts lists and labor costs on computer and give you a nice itemized quote, Chris seemed to be pulling numbers out of his... head. That and the fact that there were kids toys all over his office (which was also a mess) sent me a message "Run away!"
Old 03-11-2005, 10:34 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by redduck996
I agree wholeheartedly with Programmatore. Since you are painting the bumper, it will be very easy for a bodyshop to match paint. If I remember correctly, the paint for the bumpers is a little different than the paint for the panels in order to account for the flex factor.

If you ever have to have paint done on the panels, spend some time talking to the shop about where they intend to put the tape marks. A good shop will hide them under seals or put them in areas where they will not be visible to anyone. Less proficient shops will place them in the door sill where a person with an eye to detail will be able to notice.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:12 PM
ettil
AutoX

programmatore-

I can see how run away would be an apt response to European Body Works. I suppose I've been dealing with Chris long enough (just after he moved to the current space and before the kid!) that I've become inured to the mess. It's a shame as his guys do really good work and I don't throw out compliments lightly (I'm a perfectionist with too many black vehicles!).
Old 03-16-2005, 12:09 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ettil
programmatore-

I can see how run away would be an apt response to European Body Works. I suppose I've been dealing with Chris long enough (just after he moved to the current space and before the kid!) that I've become inured to the mess. It's a shame as his guys do really good work and I don't throw out compliments lightly (I'm a perfectionist with too many black vehicles!).
Ettil,

Believe me if European Body Works was recommended by a friend I would have have probably used them. The problem was I walked in off the street and didn't get a good feeling from looking at their shop.

I remember Chris showed me a black '00 996 C2 coupe that he was working on. The owner got into a fender bender and decided to give the car a facelift to look like an '03 996 C4S coupe -- flared rear quarters, rear bumper, front fenders, litronics and Turbo bumper -- all OEM parts. The job was easily $25K+. Chris and his crew seemed like they knew their stuff.

Cheers,
Old 03-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't say enough about European (despite their mess). Not only did they perfectly colormatch a fender and headlight door on my 87 944, they made a *very* nice deal when I offered to pay cash and turned it around in 48 hours - even added on the stonegard, etc. even though I didn't need it as it was on a race car.

Quick Reply: Paint & Body Shop in DC