Suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 06:00 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
Jeeva,
Did I say I didn't like PSS9s? Maybe but I don't recall the context. What I like about PSS9s is that they allow quite a bit of flexibility without being very complex. That makes them a good street/track compromise. M030s are simple but the lack of height adjustment is a huge drawback. I think the base H&R coilovers are great. I had a set for a couple of years before my car became a racecar. I would recommend them to anyone except that for a small amount of additional money you can have some limited damping adjustment with the PSS9s. For most, the next step into multiple adjustables is not appropriate for the street. I guess that's why for a street/track car I like PSS9s.
Jim
Jim, one of the reasons I love the factory sport suspensions for the Porsche so much is that they're actually tuned by the factory which means (to me) that the damping and overall balance is going to be perfect (based on the goals of the system, of course). I've never found an aftermarket setup that had its damping truly perfect.

Are the H&R and PSS9 kits for the Porsches that much better than they are for other marques? Do they truly have the damping nailed?
Old 03-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hayaku
i don't read any like or dislike towards pss9 from JimB's post.. just facts that are relevent to any coilover/adjustable suspension... you don't change it after its setup, unless you are on a race team that adjusts for different tracks (ie: change springs, wheels/tires, alignment for the specific need).

for most de's/club racers, you set the ride height, corner balance once and leave it...

for jim's racing needs, the over the shelf pss9 will not meet his requirements.

I've been around here long enough to know Jim B. knows a heck of a lot more about setting up a track car than me, and thus obviously agree with everything he has to say on this topic. I thought he had mentioned a few months ago that he did not like the PSS9, but I was wrong...

For a question on track mods and putting a 996 on diet posted a few months ago, I think Jim you said any exhaust mods but PSE or something like that, at which point I was contemplating on PSE and PSS9's among others for my own C4S, and today I cofused his recommendation on the exhaust for the suspension.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Jeeva,
Did I say I didn't like PSS9s? Maybe but I don't recall the context. What I like about PSS9s is that they allow quite a bit of flexibility without being very complex. That makes them a good street/track compromise. M030s are simple but the lack of height adjustment is a huge drawback. I think the base H&R coilovers are great. I had a set for a couple of years before my car became a racecar. I would recommend them to anyone except that for a small amount of additional money you can have some limited damping adjustment with the PSS9s. For most, the next step into multiple adjustables is not appropriate for the street. I guess that's why for a street/track car I like PSS9s.

BTW, I'm on a different computer so I temporarily have my period back. Does anyone know how to change the keyboard on a Sony Viao laptop?
Jim

Jim, my apologies for confusing your past recommendation, I think it was PSE and not PSS9, at that time I was considering both among others, and was put off with the product once I read your comment. I am glad I straightened that out.....pss9 is back on my list as a possible suspension mod., if I decide to keep my car beyond my lease.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:21 PM
hayaku
Advanced

fwiw, the pss9 can be upgraded to racing spec. you can have them revalved and resprung with eibach ers springs. however, you will need a spec sheet about 8 pages long for bilstein to work on the revalving (obviously, you need a race suspension expert to get the measurements and values)

the over the counter system is a far cry from race spec. its a very nice street setup with a lifetime warranty.

there are several race cars that run this setup... including the one that holds the lap record at homestead. mine is setup the same way.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:31 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stiles,
I think you are right to some degree but that assumes that there is one "right" suspension. Factory suspensions are a compromise between what's best for commuting, spirited driving, rough roads, smooth roads, steep driveways, track time, etc. I think suspension needs to be tuned to the owner as much as the car. That's why I'm a fan of suspensions that you can make changes to. So that you can tune it to your needs.

Jeeva,
You are right. I think I did take a shot at PSE. Not for the sound but for the weight. It was probably unfair. There are many very happy PSE customers.

Hayaku,
I think if you are going to go to all that trouble you would be far better off starting with a dual or triple adjustable. That are plenty of very good ones around.

Have a good day.
Jim
Old 03-07-2005, 12:32 PM
c4bliss
Racer

well, i went and ordered the PSS9 set up, H/R adjustable sways, and a B/M short shift kit for install starting wednesday. I will post before/after pics of the ride afterwards....... thanks!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Where di you get the short shifter and price? I am ordering that mod next!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:35 PM
c4bliss
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Where di you get the short shifter and price? I am ordering that mod next!
I am letting my install shop, Akkurat, take care of locating that. Price range was somewhere in the 275 range if i remember right...
Old 03-07-2005, 12:41 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Brandywine porsche, 199.95. Braman porsche, porsche ssk 350.00. Simple diy job.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

275! B-wine has them for 199.

Ooops, I guess C4 got in before me. sorry for the redundancy.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:52 PM
c4bliss
Racer

No #(&%#( ?? 199? I will be making a call!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:54 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Guys, why are you going w/the B&M shift kit, versus the factory piece? Especially those of you under warranty, if you know what I mean...
Old 03-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Jeeva,
You are right. I think I did take a shot at PSE. Not for the sound but for the weight. It was probably unfair. There are many very happy PSE customers.

Jim
Jim,
I am glad you did, it was a very important criteria for me, your `2800 lbs. carrera is an inspiration for my poker (granted, my poker is too voluptuous to reach 2800, i'll be happy with ~3000), but weight redction in the rear, especially far out makes a big difference...so when I am ready for my exhaust mod., I'll be looking for the weight and then the sound.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:22 PM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I know it's , but Jim, what exhaust are you recommending?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm really considering the PSS9. I would like to raise the right height in the winter so my car doesn't become a plow (I drive it all year as a daily) and then lower it when I put the 18" summers back on. The question I couldn't find is: How do you adjust the height? Can I do it, or do you need to have a shop do it?

Thanks,
Rob

Quick Reply: Suspension questions