Sponsored by:

Steering wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 02:00 PM
nv1271
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel question

I am thinking of replacing the OEM 4-spoke steering wheel with a 3-spoke one. I searched the threads for instructions and everywhere they say you have to disconnect the battery. I don't have the radio code and I don't want to disconnect to battery. So is it possible to remove the fuse for the SRS and do the swap. Removing the proper fuse (s) should do the same thing as disconnecting the battery or not?

My fuse assignement does not have anything for SRS. Has anybody tryed this approach and if you know which one is the SRS fuse?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Mitty
Racer

The best solution is to go to the dealer and have them extract the radio code. Eventually you will need it.

Loren at Renntech:
"If you do not have the code a dealer can look it up for you with your VIN number and proof of ownership. Some dealers as well as Becker (radio manufacturer) now charge for this service so don't be surprised with they want you pay."

I can hunt down the SRS fuse for you when I get home, but I won't guarantee that will keep the SRS light from coming on, or at the worst, a face full of airbag.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NO!!! Even removing the fuse might detonate the airbag. The problem is not the direct power but the capacitor in the system that discharges the airbag after a specific amount of time. The usual rule is 20 min, but I let mine sit for 1 hour. The capacitor is in there in case of a Parked car collision where as you have just parked your car and you are hit by another. You are still protected.

As far as the radio code goes, simply get the radio serial number and give that to the dealer. Or, bring the car to the dealer to reset. I am sure it won't be that expensive.

Chad
Old 03-03-2005, 02:27 PM
nv1271
Intermediate

Thank you both. Mitty don't worry about the fuse because I don't want to take any risks. I was just wondering if anyone has done it before with the fuse. I had to get the code for my BMW and the stealer chaged me $80, so for the porsche who knows what.

Thanks anyway
Old 03-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can remove and disconnect the air bag without disconnecting the battery and not get an air bag warning light if the key is not on.

The problem is most people need to turn the key on in order to rotate the wheel to get to the 2 screws in the back of the steering wheel because they use a long torx bit that is like a screwdriver. The tool is so long that you need to rotate the wheel so that the screw is at the bottom, otherwise the handle end of the tool will hit the instrument cluster or dash.

I have a 3" T30 bit with a holder just like what some dealers use, that goes on the end of a 1/4" drive ratchet. With this tool I do not need to rotate the wheel in order to remove the air bag.

I did not even know there was a fuse to diable the air bag control unit. I will have to look at the wiring diagrams.

I have removed maybe 60 steering wheel air bags over the years at our work on cars days. For trip computer retrofits, to 3 spoke swaps. We always disconnect the battery, just in case. The bottom line is to get your radio code and disconnect the battery.

There is a guy on the Boxster side who said he cracked the Becker radio codes. All he needs is the last 4 digits of your serial number. If you push the right buttons on the radio it will display your serial number.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

If you have a decent relationship with your dealer then the code is not a bid deal..... Stop by and ask the service writter.... They can easily access this information, take your car with you because they'll need to get the radio # to get you the right code.....

Don't pay..... it's not right...

Can't believe BMW charged you.... I got that for mine as well..... both FREE....

"BE NICE" when you go there.....

-Eli
Old 03-03-2005, 08:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Get the code, you will need it in the future. As for the battery disconnect it and wait at least 30 min-1 hr for the current to discharge. Last thing you want is to cut a corner to save cost or time and then have that airbag explode!
Old 03-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Heck... go home on Friday,,,, disconnect.... wake up Saturday morning and start the project!

-Eli

Quick Reply: Steering wheel question