Sponsored by:

Tire Noise (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 02:43 PM
deons
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C4SSurgeon,
Unfortunately I am an impatient man and want to get the issue resolved today. Maybe it is time to buy the TT as it will have new tyres on it.

Everybody.
Unbelievable response and feedback!!!
Thanks.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:35 PM
deons
Instructor

Could not find tyres locally (Tire-rack it is) but found it was only the driver's rear side that was feathered lightly. (I am sensitive to all noises on all my vehicles). Maybe I am overweight. 6 ft 3 and only 191 lbs should not cause this so I suspect camber is out. Never hit a pothole or anything...interesting.. Confirmed 50% tread left on the rears. Maybe a GHL or PSE will be money better spent to kill my sensitive ears.

Thanks again for all the support guys. Overwhelming!.

Deon.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:31 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by deons
Could not find tyres locally (Tire-rack it is) but found it was only the driver's rear side that was feathered lightly. (I am sensitive to all noises on all my vehicles). Maybe I am overweight. 6 ft 3 and only 191 lbs should not cause this so I suspect camber is out. Never hit a pothole or anything...interesting.. Confirmed 50% tread left on the rears. Maybe a GHL or PSE will be money better spent to kill my sensitive ears.

Thanks again for all the support guys. Overwhelming!.

Deon.
Actually, the more weight you put on the bacj of the car, the less the camber is. When you accelearate hard, the back end drops and the tires go flat (no camber) So maybe you need to gain a few pounds.

I would have the allignment checked and if you don't track the car, have them set the rear camber to a litle less negative. Specs say -1 degree 10 inches +/- 15 inches. Maybe set camber at - 1. You will get more wear oiur of the back tires with no loss in performance.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:54 PM
deons
Instructor

1999Porsche911,

I am a tad ignorant here but is the camber not set up to squat initially?. So if I add weight it will squat more. (As I have seen on overloaded BMW's). Interesting that you mention tracking the car but after 10 years of Porsche ownership I have joined PCA and intend to do Autocross. Daughter's influence. She is a Z club member and wants to Autocross our Cayenne. With as much tread I have on the tyres maybe I should just burn them on the Autocross track and then invest in a new set for daily driving.

Thanks for informing this ignorant idiot. (I used to be a Formula V/ Atlantic driver and should know the basics. Still maintain my SCCA licence but have people set the race car up for me).

Deon.

Last edited by deons; 03-02-2005 at 10:00 PM. Reason: American Terms
Old 03-02-2005, 10:13 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

1999Porsche911,

I am a tad ignorant here but is the camber not set up to squat initially?. So if I add weight it will squat more. (As I have seen on overloaded BMW's). Interesting that you mention tracking the car but after 10 years of Porsche ownership I have joined PCA and intend to do Autocross. Daughter's influence. She is a Z club member and wants to Autocross our Cayenne. With as much tread I have on the tyres maybe I should just burn them on the Autocross track and then invest in a new set for daily driving.

Thanks for informing this ignorant idiot. (I used to be a Formula V/ Atlantic driver and should know the basics. Still maintain my SCCA licence but have people set the race car up for me).

Deon.

If you are going to track the car, then better decide what kind of negative camber you should have. I have never tracked my Porsche, but I have numerous other cars and I always went wth an aggresive negative setting on camber. However, there are numerous experts here on tracking and they can suggest the best allignment setttings for you based on both street and track driving. Have fun.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:57 PM
deons
Instructor

1999Porsche911,

It still does not explain my underweight issue. I will rely on this board and my local PCA chapter to give me guidance on either my weight or the correct Camber setting.

Thanks for all your responses.
Deon.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:08 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

1999Porsche911,

It still does not explain my underweight issue. I will rely on this board and my local PCA chapter to give me guidance on either my weight or the correct Camber setting.

Thanks for all your responses.
Deon.
I was only joking about your weight before. The alligment is done with a normally loaded car (spare, gas, etc) with normal vehicle height. The camber is set at a negative which means when looking at the wheels, the top of the wheel is pointed inward and the bottom outward. In essence, the tire is riding on the inside half of the tread. This accomidates agressive cornering as the outside wheel in a corner will flatten out and provide maximum tread to the road surface. By design, when driving straight, when you accelerate aggressively, the body of the car (along with the engine) becomes lower in relationship to the wheel's center. This forces the negative camber to reduce to the point that the vertical position of the wheel is now at 90 degrees to the road surface.

You could weigh 300 pounds and it is unlikely to have much affect on the camber.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:11 PM
deons
Instructor

Default Free

I have decided to change tires. Ordered S02-A's and dealer will fit in the morning.
Soooo here is a 12 hour window for some-one wanting some
fronts for free other than shipping and packaging.

2003 (I do not know how to determine whether these are Ribs or not) 225/50/ZR18 N0 Michelen Pilot Sports with about 65 percent tread left.

I will pick these up from dealer but whomever wants these, have them picked up from my house arrange packaging and shipping yourself. If you are close to Tulsa OK you can come and pick them up.

Deon Smith.

Leave a phone number in response and I will get back to you. Be quick as I have to call dealer first thing in the morning as not to dispose of the tyres. (Car is already at dealer),

Last edited by deons; 03-09-2005 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Xpost

Quick Reply: Tire Noise (I think)