Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need help with rim/tire blowout issue... ugh.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with rim/tire blowout issue... ugh.

My passenger rear tire blew out this morning going around a curve. It was the inside sidewall that gave out and it threw me into a spin. I saved it by going with the spin and rode it out - avoiding crashing into anything - thank gawd.

Anyway, I have 18" sport classics on it with Pirelli P-zero's. I am thinking of going with Michelin Sport Pilot PS2's. The problem is that the rim lip is now damaged. It has a slight flat spot that is jagged. I'm sure I could sand the lip down to not cause damage to a new tire, but what do you guys think? Should I replace the rim? I sure hope I don't have to... Also, there are no tires in stock in any brand of this size so I have to order them in anyway.

I feel sick over the rim and over the experience in general, but I am so grateful that nothing happened to my car.

Thanks for any advice you guys might have with regards to the rim salvage or tire choice.

Aloha,

Steve
Old 02-22-2005, 06:22 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Most likely the rim is no longer true - probably bent (ask me how I know...). Suggest you call John or Dave at Wheel Enhancement and ask them about it; if fixable, they can do it or maybe they know someone in HA.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:00 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the rim damage isn't severe enough and isn't viisible (inside sidewall), you may just leave it.

Otherwise, you can either replace the rims with a new styel or have your rim fixed. That depends on how much you like your rims.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

The damage is just on "top" of the outside lip and there are serrated scratch marks across the lip. It has been ground down approximatel 1/8"-3/16" so it has left a slight "flat spot" on the lip. I know I could surface sand the serrated edges to make a smooth surface, but if the rim is hosed (no longer true) I will look to buy a replacement. I love my rims! I have already called into L.A. Porsche dismantlers to see if they have a clean one...

Any other tire you guys would suggest other than the pilot sport PS2's? I need to be concerned with occasional wet roads and cornering capability.

Aloha,

Steve
Old 02-22-2005, 10:26 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Good news! The rim is fine - just lost a little bit of "meat" on the edge of the lip. It is funny, but that rim is the only rim that ever had curb rash on it anyway. I am planning on painting the rims and polishing the lips so this will sort of force me to do it now.

What do you guys think of an anthracite or charcoal color rim w/ polished lip on a "Mirage Metallic" car?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't see how that could look good. Maybe the anthracite more since it is basically black. Black and your mirage color (light goldish) might look pretty good. I think a photoshop is in order
Old 02-23-2005, 01:19 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

Why did the tire blow?
Old 02-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Well, the reason is debatable. I have been experimenting with lower tire pressures than recommended by the mfg. The tires are also quite old. The car only has 26k on it and it's a '99. The tires have seen back east weather with snow, a long trip across the country, a long boat ride to Hawaii and then finally 8 months of much warmer Hawaiian weather (as well as our crappy roads). The tire definitely blew out the inside side wall and I was hitting the turn pretty hard in 3rd gear.

I have decided to stick to the recommended pressures for front and rear and not let the tires get quite so old any longer. I am extremely lucky to not have any major damage to the car or to myself (or anyone else for that matter).

I may look at painting the rims black and polishing the lips. The HRE wheels with the same pattern in black are really great looking. Thanks for the color input LVDell.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I am going to do the black centers and polished lips on my sport designs as my track wheels. Here is a pic of what it will look like when done. (photo coutesy of Johannes GT3CS)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Need help with rim/tire blowout issue... ugh.