Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

Yes, I really hate mine...wanna buy it? haha
Old 02-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like my 996 - no mechanical issues what so ever. I still have a few items to sort out (from when i bought the car) but that's it.
i do have to say it is my 2nd or 3rd love however behind the 964 and 356.
it's too easy to drive and is my first porsche in 6 years with things like A/C, leatehr interior,sunroof and a stereo (i'll probaly "fix" some of that soon)
Old 02-19-2005, 04:28 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

I think it goes like this, when people are looking for mods, advice or have an issue, they post the question here. What you will not see is someone posting something to the effect of:

"...my car is running fine, puts a big smile on my face every time I drive it, makes work seem unimportant, and has been virtually maintenance free. What should we talk about now?..."

The reason is that a majority of Porsche owners are always looking to "tweak" their vehicles, see what best practices are, and help others overcome any maintenance (or recall) or upkeep issues. Other than that, we bicker about sports teams, nit pick others' knowledge of P-cars, and argue over which colors, interior designs and aero kits are the absolute "best" to have, all in good fun. Ten years from now, the discussions will probably center around maintenance, but for now, with minor exceptions, we talk about seemingly unimportant stuff.

BUT WE LOVE IT AND CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING BETTER TO DO ON A WINTER DAY!

Old 02-19-2005, 04:41 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts

Nothing but love for my 2000 C2. I was a little upset I needed a new engine 2 yrs ago, but this car is the greatest. I've had it for almost 5 yrs now and I can honestly say I am like a kid in the candy shop EVERY, YES EVERY time I get in it. I don't know about you, but I can't say that about any other cars I have had for 5 yrs.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:42 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Montreal Marc
Hi,

As a prospective new owner (I'll decide over the weekend whether or not to buy a low mileage 2002 C2 Coupe), I'm very interested to know why most of the posts here are decidedly negative.

I am the former owner of a pristine '91 964 C2 Coupe, who loved his p-car tremendously (up until it was stolen in Nov last year). The car was wonderful in almost every respect (only complaints: driving position uncomfortable on long rides, pedal position impossible for heel-and-toe until Wings Pedal installed, and after 2-3 years of experience, not enough power!).

I understand that there were RMS problems with the early models, but that they were all made good by Porsche. So why the mostly negative attitudes?

Should I reconsider the 2002 and go for a late model 993 instead?

Thanks,

Marc

.......you said: I'm very interested to know why most of the posts here are decidedly negative....

there are more negative post because people ask for advice on their prob...and it is always good to discuss your prob with other people that they can undersand you...

but...bare in mind that there are also posts for advice on power upgrades, aesthetic reasons, and any other kind of question....

you owned a 964 (as i did), and you want to buy a 993 (again as i did) or a 996 that i do....

t o t a l l y different cars....but all of them unique....

hate, again is ot the right word....may be you should use angry....because we all love our 996 and we get angry when something bad happens to our car...

996 is a very very good-fast-modern and (ohhh yes) reliable P-car you can buy....
Old 02-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Montreal Marc
Cruisin'

Talking

Thanks one and all for your interesting replies.

I must say that I was playing Devil's Advocate a bit with my inflammatory thread title. You see, I posted an earlier thread asking for help with reading the DME printout on the car I'm considering, and while my plea for help was read by about 40 of you, only 1 bothered to actually reply. That pissed me off, since Rennlist is a place to go for help. Remember, I had a 964 for 3 years, and was a regular on Rennlist in 2002/03 in the 964 Forum. (Oh, and Harris, I remember you well from your video where you thrashed a set of tires on your 964 while doing donuts!)

So, I am well aware of the reason that most of us frequent Rennlist. It's to gripe about and ask for help concerning issues with our cars, big and small. Rennlist was exceptionally helpful for me as a new 964 owner in 2001/02.

What I was really hoping to get with this thread title (and successfully, I might add) was your sense (as a group) of how much you enjoy the 996, and whether I could expect to get that same sh*t-eating grin out of a 996 that my 964 gave me all the time.

It appears that the answer is "Yes".

I have a feeling that I'll be buying one very soon.

Many thanks for all of your comments, and I apologize if my tactics were a little below the belt.

Marc
Old 02-19-2005, 07:59 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Let me join the crowd as an owner of a new 1995 993 and a 2003 996.

No comparison in my book between the 2 cars. The 1995 had 272 hp, I have 320 now. It is much nicer inside, faster shifting, to me looks more up-to-date and I love it (996).

You wont go wrong with a low mileage 2002 + 996.

Cabman
Old 02-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 390 Posts

If you want a nice interior, get a 996. If you want the last true Porsche... get a 993. Or better yet a 993TT. Don't fall into that daily driver, more comfortable, more water cooled HP, my wife likes it crap... Man up!

Just my opinion of course... no offense to the board.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 146 Posts

Ive got em both. If you can have just one, take the 996, 2002 or younger. Grins, yup, all the time!
Old 02-20-2005, 02:06 AM
Cloud964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

996 or 993... if both are equal in their conditions, I'll take the 993. No offense to 996 owners, but the quality is in fact inferior to the 993. 996 may be faster and more comfortable, but I can always find that in any jap cars... and I hate jap cars.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:19 AM
craigsduc
Instructor

Well, I guess I,ll throw in my opinion too. I currently own an 03 GT2 and was selling it to buy a 993 tt to put some money back into the bank and have a fun 4 seat p car. Drove one last weekend and I,m sorry..............................there is absoulutely no way I could go from a GT2 into a 993tt. I,m sure it was not the best example out there but still..........................it was indicative of the breed. I now know why so many members told me they did not see how I could think of buying one to replace the GT2. I drove an X 50 coupe and would take it over the 993tt. I,m sure a C4S would still get my vote too as they are so refined in comparison. I also drove a 73 RS clone....................yes a clone but a nice one at that. It looked nice, sounded nice but sorry.....................no deal. I am spoiled now. I realize there are those of us that prefer the air cooled 993 and 964,s for their styling and feel and that is perfectly alright with me as we need variety in our taste for things in life. Different boats right? I realize that other than a Carrera GT, I am at 11 with the GT2 and pretty much anything else made under the P mark may seem less in the performance arena but my priorities have changed with the addition of my 6 month old baby girl. We took two cars to the last PCA meeting and it just doesn,t work. I am now thinking of getting a 05 Turbo S Coupe or perhaps an X 50. I am going to find out if there are any major improvements with the 05 S cars. ( My wife thinks we should get a cab with a hard top but not sure I could do that either as I am not a convertible enthusiast) I have found a few dealers that are willing to discount the 05 cars 5% off MSRP. Seems fair? Anyway..................sorry 993tt drivers, I will have to pass but I will always be kind to you when we meet. After all, they are still beautifull cars with loyal enthusiasts as owners. As for the 996 ( and I,m sure 997,s too), they are so refined in every way. I feel they are easier to go fast in than earlier cars. I bought the GT2 because I did,nt want an easy car to go fast in on a track. I could have bought a GT3 but it is a much easier car to drive. I wanted the challenge and I got it. Installed a tech bar, GT3 seats, and was to order tires/wheels for track duty when it hit me. I should sell this car before I track it so I can honestly represent it as untracked to maintain it,s value and sell ability. Once sold, get a nice 4 seat late P car for street/family/PCA rides and buy a used track car. Works for me!
Old 02-20-2005, 06:49 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default even me..

even i, with $47k in repair bills don't hate my 996...
i find it to be the most enjoyable car i've ever driven.. am i upset with the ride? no... am i upset with the porsche dealers? no..

what i am upset is with the porsche marque and the general company themselves.. their attitude with out of warranty customers is complete crap, along with their shroud of secrecy they have relating to their "perfect engine" and their "what's RMS?" policy by porsche customer service... for a $100k car, i'd expect a company to learn how to treat their customers better, instead of taking us all out to be morons, blaming all the problems the car has had on us for "alledgedly" misuing the vehicle....

on that note, the 996 is truly a car i do not hate.. even with all i've been through..
Old 02-20-2005, 07:08 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Drive a 996 and you will see its an excellent car.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:42 PM
chuckla
Racer

My 996 beats my 993 in almost every category. The C4S rules.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

I am extremely happy with my 996. I initally considered purchasing a 993, but during my research I started to look into the 996. It had more of what I was looking for. In my case I needed more interior room for carrying the family, more comfort touches for what I expect in a car at this price range (without being boring like a Lexus, Mercedes or Jag), way more power, a better shifter, better looks, etc.

Then I started seriously looking at the 996's, and during my research the 997 came out. I compared both, but the 996 was a better value, in light of the discounts on new ones at the time. Plus to me, and I may be in the minority, the design of the 996 is better executed than the 993 or 997, especially with the 996 C4S or Turbo nose. It's just more visceral/mean and less VW Beetle'ish wimpy (no insult intended just MHO). I'm more of a face v.s. butt kind of guy

Quick Reply: Do You All Really Hate Your 996's???