Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does the CHP 11-99 Foundation save you from tickets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 04:29 AM
Srao
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the CHP 11-99 Foundation save you from tickets?

This is primarily for Porsche owners in CA. I got a bs ticket today for turning on a red that I wasn't allowed to turn on and I got thinking. I know the 11-99 foundation is popular in CA, but does it save you from getting tickets at all?

Also, is it common for police to pull over Porsche owners because we are so cool?

Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2005, 04:33 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No guarantee that it will save you from a blatant traffic violation, but I have had LEOs give me the "slow down" hand gesture when I have been clearly speeding (both on my bike and car). Not a license to speed but it's for a good cause and is tax-dedcutibles...so if it saves you from just one ticket, it pretty much pays for itself.

BTW, just because you drive a P-car doesn't automatically mean you're cool..haven't you heard of the porcupine joke?
Old 02-18-2005, 04:35 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

Also the 11-99 foundation I believe is only for CHP...so if a local police pulled you over it might not help.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default The only sure thing that will "save" you is

To pay attention when you are driving. If you pay attention to your surroundings, you have a much better chance of not getting caught.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:59 PM
krisd
Instructor

I don't believe it would help at all for the type of ticket you received. The local police will often sit at those intersections waiting for violators and will write you a ticket no matter what your excuse. As for run in's with the CHP, I believe it is luck of the draw, conditions and how you deal with the officer that will determine whether you get a ticket. There is no substitute for paying attention to your surroundings if you know you are pushing the limits. If the officer is not in a good mood, good luck!

As for the Foundation plates in general, I have heard stories that would support having them and others that would not. I have talked with some friends who are officers and they stated it makes very little difference to them. It would make more difference on a 91 Tarus were it would at least appear the person was making a meaningful personal contribution than a $100,000 car were they believe someone is just trying to buy thier way out of a ticket as the cost of the plate is not a huge financial commitment to them.

Kris
Old 02-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Srao
Advanced

Nothing would have helped the ticket. The lady did not even give me a chance to negotiate my way out of it. And the best part is I got a warning for impeding traffic and she had the audacity to stop her patrol car in the middle of a shopping center primary lane. Got a few cheap shots in, but hopefully won't have this problem for the next 18 mos. Thanks for the replys on the 11-99, Ill look into it some more.

Sanjay
Old 02-18-2005, 02:27 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd place my bets on a radar detector instead. Of course, impression you make on the officer is probly more important. There are a number of techniques to talk your way out. Here is what I do:

1. Stop at a non busy street or parking lot. This places the officer more at ease. Imagine how a cop is willing to listen when standing on the divider of a freeway.
2. Take time to look for your license, registration, insurance card. While looking, talk to the officer and explain why you violated the law. Plea for a warning. Maybe you are passing someone and only sped momentarily. Maybe you went thru a red light bc you are new to the neighborhood. Any excuse that may help but be somewhat reasonable.

Preventling a ticket is best. But you know everyone makes mistakes and there is no way you can prevent a ticket forever.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:50 PM
ajc8888
Rennlist Member

do you have to be referred by an existing member to join 11-99? if so, anyone here a member?
Old 02-19-2005, 01:07 AM
Srao
Advanced

You dont need to be referred from what it looks like on the website. Check this out for more info... http://www.chp1199.org/INDEX2.HTM

I live in Los Angeles and every exotic sports car, especially Porsches all seem to be members of this organization [hence by the license plate frames]. If everyone is a member, possibly being a conformist may save us all from some tickets. Who knows...?
Old 02-19-2005, 02:17 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in a word, no
Old 02-19-2005, 02:34 AM
berj
7th Gear

Looks like you have to be referred by a current member. Go to the following website:

http://www.chp1199.org/INDEX2.HTM

Click on "Membership" at the top and read the last statement on that page.

Berj
Old 02-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it says that on the page...
Strange, since I am a "lifetime" member and I don't remember being reffered by anyone when I signed up...
Anyways, I will gladly refer any Rennlister that would like to join. Just PM me.
And yes, I feel like it "saved" me a couple of times.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Moogle
in a word, no
Tom the 1199 foundation is a non profit that sends money to immediate family of killed policeman (they may do more). It does resonate with some officers, but not all. I was pitched & I thought it was about 1k to join (correct me if I'm wrong Leon)
Old 02-20-2005, 01:02 AM
ajc8888
Rennlist Member

C4C_Leon
You have a PM
Old 02-20-2005, 01:34 AM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Torags
Tom the 1199 foundation is a non profit that sends money to immediate family of killed policeman (they may do more). It does resonate with some officers, but not all. I was pitched & I thought it was about 1k to join (correct me if I'm wrong Leon)
It's more than 1K.
I paid 1.5K for a lifetime membership. You get a license plate frame, a plaque in a leather wallet (to keep your registration and proof of insurance) and a credit card-style membership card.
It's not a permit to go on a rampage or a crime spree, but it sure helps with the CHiPs. I have not been stopped since joining almost 1 year ago, although it may be a coincidence. But like another poster said, it does you no good with "regular" cops, only CHP.

Quick Reply: Does the CHP 11-99 Foundation save you from tickets?