996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Becker CR220 iPod install (no power)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 05:13 PM
FridayDriver
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Becker CR220 iPod install (no power)

I purchased an iPod and have decided to hook it up to my '99 996. I have followed "Lee from Toronto's" instructions, which were great, but after tapping in to the "Red and Green" and "Brown" wires I can not get power to the new cigarette socket. Does anyone have any suggestions why I am not geting power?

Thanks,
Old 02-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

1st thing to check: The red/green wire is for a switched power source that is only hot when the ignition key is turned to the "ON" position. Is the key in the "ON" position?

2nd thing I'd check is if the red/green or even the green/black wire is actually carrying power. Use a voltage tester. Your wiring harness might have a break or a short.

3rd thing if you are getting power through the wire is to check the polarity of the cigarette lighter socket. Are you sure you're wiring the right leads to the right terminals? If I remember right, the ground is the casing of the socket. Also test the socket by using a voltage tester.

4th thing is to check your device. Best thing to do is to plug it into a working cigarette lighter socket (like the one on your dash). Does it work there?
Old 02-05-2005, 06:37 PM
FridayDriver
Track Day

Lee Thanks for the information.

1st Key is turned on
2nd I will check the harness to see if it has a short. Can I use the Black and Green if it is Hot?
3rd Checked the cigarette terminal both ways. I also chcked the two fuses for the phone and they looked good.
4th. The devise works in the dash.

Thank you.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

It's probably the wiring harness or that your tap-in connectors aren't making contact properly. And yes, you could use the green/black wiring, just that it'll be on all the time, so I wouldn't leave the iPod attached in the car if you're gone for a week or two or it could slowly drain your battery.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Ferdinand
Track Day

Unfortunately, my "switched" wire, the red/green, never carried power, even in the "on" position. I still hooked my iPod up to one of the other wires, another red, but this one is always on, so I have to disconnect my iPod from the Belkin connector every time I shut the engine off. Does anyone know why my "switched" wire (on the phone harness inside the dash of the Boxster) never turned on, even with the engine running?

Quick Reply: Becker CR220 iPod install (no power)