996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

More reliable:'03 C2 or '02-'03 996TT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 09:00 AM
OneManTX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More reliable:'03 C2 or '02-'03 996TT?

Here is my situation and question:

Right now, my 15 month old 2003 C2 Coupe with 10K mi. is sitting at the dealership with:
1. A broken driver's seat; it will slide or tilt back but not forwards (this made for an interesting drive to the dealership. I could jussssst get the clutch pushed in).
2. Three pieces of carbon fiber trim that curled and are being replaced (took 5 months for the replacement pieces to come in).
3. A leaking RMS - the first episode of this so far.

Numbers 1 and 3 both showed up the night before I was to take the car in to get the trim fixed. Is this car trying to tell me something? It has also had a number of minor things such as cabin rattles, a sticking sunroof, a turn signal that went out and a battery that had to be replaced.

I am starting to think that if I can do it financially, I should leave this car at the dealer forever, get myself an '02 or '03 996tt and end up with a (faster and) more reliable car. Any logic to this, or is the lust for the Turbo turning my mind to mush?
Old 01-23-2005, 09:35 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think anyone here is going to deny that the TT is more desirable than a C2. They are totally different cars. One goes fast. The other goes like **** off a shovel...freaking fast! The TT has RMS problems but very rarely while the C2 has RMS problems that are imminent. If you have a choice then its a silly question ;-)
Old 01-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

If the numbers work, get out of the car and get into an '03 TT. It's an awesome step up, and much more reliable on the engine side.

But remember, most of the things you reference on the C2 can go wrong on the turbo. The seals can go, but as Scouser mentioned, less likely on the TT. The non turbo engine is fraught with problems on the rear main seal, is a flawed design, and Porsche knows it. The TT is a different animal completely.

That said, if it's mostly cosmetic problems, and one seal, all under warranty, have them fix the damn thing first. Then drive it. If two weeks later you are still kicking yourself, GO GET the Turbo!

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-23-2005, 12:50 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's an 03 you should be OK, just something to consider.. the cost from what I hear to replace a twin turbo engine if not under warranty is $40,000+

i've heard one individual that blew his engine while shifting incorrectly at the track, and recall the figure around $50k, but I could be wrong... but I have seen high mileage used TT engines sell for $30,000+ vs $6000 for a C2 engine at the same place.. so with labor i'd venture to say they are around that ballpark number.. i'd assume for that price that includes turbos? i'm not sure.. the TT engine is a completely different beast than the non TT, so I can't say I know much about it or the reliability... just that I haven't heard many problems with it.. and if I have.. they are very rare...

just make sure it has a warranty, that's all, and you'll be good to go.. enjoy

Quick Reply: More reliable:'03 C2 or '02-'03 996TT?