996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Sway Bar Links FINISHED!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 04:14 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh one more thing...if your nice to me I will send you some free Vivid shirts and stickers

have a better day!
Old 01-27-2005, 03:00 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

BUMP
Old 01-27-2005, 11:40 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Hate to stick my nose into this thread with a long post, but I think there is a lot of marginal information here. First, the endlinks are unsprung weight. They move up and down with the strut/wheel/wheel carrier to twist the swaybar. The Porsche ones are very light and use a sealed ball-joint type of construction which I think I've seen in BMWs (M3?) but certainly not in your average car which typically uses a significantly cheaper sandwiched rubber setup. The Porsche swaybar bushings are also first rate. Despite being light, while doing A/B comparisons, the Porsche end links do flex more and this manifests itself in maybe "a hole" or less worth of adjustment difference. Unless you're running at the extremes of swaybar adjustment holes, you could go one hole more and be about in the same boat with a more reliable endlink.

Also, the GT3 front bars are VERY different than the 996 (or 986) base bars. That is why you need the shorter endlinks. The ends of the bars are flat. The H&R bars are more like the 996/986 front bars in that they bend down to move the connection point significantly lower. The H&Rs that I've seen pictures of are either not adjustable or are not "really" adjustable because they do not change the lever arm length of the swaybar (up and down doesn't really count). You need to change the lever arm length to make the front adjustable which you get in the GT3 (or TRG) bars, but in doing so, the ends are flat.

In addition to being flat and requiring shorter end links, this causes another problem. That is that because the attachment point is the wheel carrier, they pivot and can cause extreme binding unless you run the middle position (or softer). Porsche gets away with this problem by (again) using very thin steel end links. I have the original trick aluminum TRG end links and they bind at the two stiffest settings on their own bar (which has a little greater range of adjustment than the GT3 bar). The newer TRG end links are thus curved to better work with their bar. In the process of trying different bars/end links, I've actually resorted to making my own (thin) end links due to this problem.

In summary, $180 bucks is a deal considering how much the Porsche and TRG end links cost, but considering their construction is so thick/bulky I don't see how they could possibly fit on the front of 996/986 cars using GT3 or TRG swaybars even if they were shorter. They probably work fine in the rear, but I don't really know if you need it back there. The front is the problem. Not trying to discredit anyone, but I've spent a couple of years on the front end link issue, and that's what I've found...
Old 01-28-2005, 06:10 AM
Dubai911
Racer

What say u to that Vivid?
Old 01-29-2005, 09:59 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

These are rear endlinks only. They work with the OEM or aftermarket sway bars as repeated several times. This entire thread is about the rear swaybar, not front.

If you would like me to make LONGER front endlinks, we can. The front is a problem. Because of the length and similar construction, flex is there. It is hard to analyze and pick apart a product when you have not tested or used them. But that is why opinions are allowed.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Links FINISHED!