996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Air Intakes, Electric Supercharge

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 05:59 PM
dallasboats
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good, I'm glad you've gotten the facts straight! Lighten up, ok. I don't claim to know everything or anything for that matter. I pointed you to the link with the weight information. Did you read it, or does this fall under the "I'm not very bright" comment? I even went further to say perhaps the information is wrong, I didn't write it so get over it.

Your response has humored me so "thank you". If you want to be the "JERK with PMS", then fine. If you'd like to joke back and forth, be civil, and have fun, then great. You can choose your path. After all, you claim to be "too old".

Last edited by dallasboats; 01-07-2005 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:59 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dallas,
I don't recall claiming to be an expert. What I did say was that your method for calculating weight was flawed. You can't take the weight in the specs and subtract the weight of the parts you take out of your car. It's just not that easy. Porsche publishes a minimum weight for a model. In the case of a 99 it was 2909. That does not mean that that was the starting weight for your car. It is the weight of the lightest possible 996. Small wheels, small tires, minimal stereo, manual seats, no sunroof, etc. Even at that, it is hard to imagine how they got a 996 to that weight. Some car makers weigh their cars without any fluids which would explain it but I'm pretty sure Porsche leaves them in.

So, when you add leather, a stereo, 18 inch wheels, larger tires, sunroof, areo kit or whatever, that weight goes up. I know this not because I'm an expert but because I took a very basic 996 and built it into a club racer. We are allowed to run at the factory published weight of 2910 (PCA rounded up). It has proven to be very, very difficult to get the car below 2900. As I mentioned earlier, I did many things that you would never do to a street car like removing the driver's side window and all of the air bags.

Now that was a pretty civil response for someone that has just been called a dumb-*** wouldn't you say? And BTW, I'm not that old.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:05 PM
itradem
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

JimB,

Sorry, my comment wasn't meant to be aimed at you... more of a generalization...

Cheers!
Old 01-08-2005, 12:54 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is like a thread from the Bimmerforums.com. (One of the reasons I sold the M3). A complete waste of time and energy. And all I did was read it. Ack!!

C.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:18 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2000 coupe and did a corner balance recently.

My car weight 3,300 lbs!!!!

Options on car:
Factory aero kit (don't know if this option add or reduce weight)
PSM
Hi Fi Sound (stupid option, sound worst than a Honda)
Sport Seats (now with EVO on driver side)
US M030
Fab Speed Exhaust

Jim is right. There is no way any 996 weight less than 3,100 lbs.

Kam
Old 01-08-2005, 03:11 AM
rrys
Advanced

The concept is about electric powered supercharging. Whether a compressor is powered directly from the engine (supercharging), the exhaust (turbocharging), or from an externally powered compressor, the intake air density is increased and more power can be achieved depending on the compressor size and various other related modifications. The web site seems careful to make relatively modest claims (very small compressor), and most of the technical data and methods seemed OK from a quick glance. They do seem to have had some installation concerns with the MAF on Audi and BMW engines, suggesting specific compressor location. The arrangement only powers the compressor at full throttle, so you may lose some power and mileage under normal operating load, as intake air may spin the turbine wheels. The effeciency of making electricity, and then using this in an electic motor will likely be less than the direct drive of a supercharger, or the power extraction of an exhaust turbine. As the battery appears to be drawn down temporarily, it has a mild hybrid characteristic. I doubt you would do much harm tinkering, but the big dogs have bigger compressors. Big electric motors are heavy. I read that a dragster supercharger (45psi boost) uses some 900HP on a 7200 HP engine.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:03 AM
Chris79SC
Intermediate

Kids, what have we learned here today????

Your C2 doesn't weigh under 2900
Your engine doesn't produce 340hp, Mods are not cumlative
Little intake fans don't do squat

...class dismissed!
Old 01-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Dubai911
Racer

Thanks Chris79SC, I am surprised this post lasted so long.
Why don't we just wait till Dallasboat buys it and tries it, he said he didn't mind.
Basta
Old 01-08-2005, 06:16 PM
dallasboats
Pro

rrys, thanks for the input and seemingly the only respectful answer to my question about the fan. It's amazing to me that most of these responses have been to criticise or insult me. For those of you, that think you're so smart, it's great to be around you all. What a pleasure.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:10 AM
J.Seven
Instructor

In 2000 there was well known PPBB poster who bought this supercharger intake and made some acceleration tests on his 2.7L Boxster. He came to the conclusions that in fact there was a little gain in accelaration, he couldn´t felt it on a seat on the pants point of view, but after measuring the accelaration times vs mile he observed that with the electric fan on he could go from point A to point B some tens faster. I believe in the end he stated that he would take out the sc intake, due to possible problems on the MAF because those engine were known to be sensible to intake mods.
I wouldn´t use such kind of intake, or any other for that matter, these engines are fine tuned from factory.

J.Seven
Old 01-09-2005, 12:40 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually I find the fan sort of interesting. I've taken issue with dallas' weight & HP claims but not the fan. I'm a bit skeptical but would love to see someone try it. I'm more curious about it's ability to pull cooler air from a source further from the heat of the engine. As sensitive as the MAF is in these cars I suspect it will be a problem but we won't know until someone tries it.

As for this thread, I always try to avoid these pissy conversations. I'm not sure how I got drawn into this one. Generally the regulars on this board are very helpful but also are quick to point out BS. I think that is very helpful. Obviously dallas has responded with language and attitude more like you would find on the import boards than what is normal here. We/I should have just ignored it and let this thread die quickly.

Dallas, this is the last time I will address you. We have a different culture here than you are probably used to in the other boards. Join in and you can learn from these guys and we just might learn a thing or two from you. Act like you have been and you will just be ignored and will eventually be thrown out. We've all seen it happen. Best of luck. You've got a great looking car no matter what it weighs.
Jim
Old 01-10-2005, 12:56 PM
dallasboats
Pro

JIMB, you are obsessed. You came here yelling at me about a weight claim when I was asking about electric fans. Read your posts (you might want to delete them). You now try to act calm and reasonable but it's all in the threads. I never asked for you to disprove my weight, i then apologized and told you where my source for the numbers came from. We then had another person comment the numbers are in the users manual and back up my original thoughts, go figure. As if that's not enough you continue to follow and harass me. Now you claim you don't know how you got dragged into this? Are you on drugs? FYI, I don't belong to other forums so I'm not sure what you are talking about. I could care less about your culture, you come across like a complete blow hard. Again, I'd suggest reviewing your comments towards me and then stepping back for a while. Three times now you claim to be done with this trhead, perhaps now you will really go away.. That, or just lighten up. I appreciate your comments on how cars can weigh more and it makes sense, thank you. However, my inquiry was about the fan and that's what I'd like to focus on. Not how much my car might actually weigh or the fact that I'm a dope for even suggesting I might try this fan.

I don't mind kidding back and forth but some of you take this far too seriously. It is a car, you are on the Internet, take it all wth a grain of salt.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:07 PM
dallasboats
Pro

Back to the fan, sorry.

OK, I'm going to order this "super fan" and see what happens. I'll have to construct an air intake from my before mentioned parts and perhaps some new ones. Honestly, I half expect this thing to cause problems with my MAF but hopefully not. Again, if it really brings 1 psi of boost and adds HP, great. They show a 996 with a twin blower setup but it looks really ugly. I don't want the current draw of the double unit so I'll stick with the single fan. I'll post my experience as it happens.

For those that are skeptical, i am too. However, don't sweat it, it costs you nothing and you'll have the advantage to say "I told you so".

JIMB, don't worry. I'm not going to turn your playground into a rice burner page. Now, where's that folgers coffee can, I can make a really mean sounding exhaust with one of those.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Dubai911
Racer

Kool Dallas, keep us posted on how it goes. Looking forward to your feedback.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dallas, I caution you due to how fragile the MAF sensor is. Do some research before you start. Let us know what you find.

C.

Quick Reply: Air Intakes, Electric Supercharge