Sponsored by:

996 Purchase - PSM wanted but needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:48 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroSmith
BTW, if PSM is turned off, according to the PDE instructors, it automatically switches back on as soon as you hit the brakes.
I could be wrong but I think it only automatically switches back on if you activate the ABS.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:09 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Oops, yes indeed, it doesn't switch back on when you hit the brakes but when the ABS activates.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:40 AM
rrys
Advanced

Many of the PSM comments here are about how the driver interacts with a Porsche. Porsche engineers obviously have worked hard to make this interaction very effective, with inputs from so many successful race car drivers over the years. The feeling of power and control seems like you can almost think the car around most corners or obstacles. This characteristic feel is the essential value of the Porsche, and has been achieved by some remarkable engineering. Much of this feel is achieved mechanically, but some of the feel is achieved electronically. As even more control systems are being added to newer models, we should fear they will disrupt this sweet interaction. But we should also expect they will enhance it. I'd hate to see a limit on "The Unfair Advantage" of a Porsche. PSM and ABS only enforce constraints at the edge of physical limits, and the engineers made a lot of tuning adjustments while the driver has only a PSM on/off switch. If Porsche gets this wrong, they stand to lose a lot of customers.

Quick Reply: 996 Purchase - PSM wanted but needed?