Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Navigation Systems

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:31 PM
faszinated
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Navigation Systems

Anyone found a good aftermarket solution for a nav system?
Old 12-29-2004, 11:53 PM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my TrafficPro. And at $380 you can't beat it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iwnNREu...rch=trafficpro
Old 12-30-2004, 12:25 AM
msrc2
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

About a month ago I added a full Alpine Nav. system, and I'm very happy with it. Of course, the price point is nowhere near the $380 Traffic Pro... However the reliability, accuracy, and ease of use are beyond reproach. If you want any details, just let me know.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:06 AM
RobynC
Pro

Had a full Alpine system, now gone over to Kenwood. Loved the Alpine, and when I get more time with the Kenwood, I'll let you know.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:34 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

The Eclipse avn 2450 is an all in one am/fm/cd/dvd/nav and a good fit in the front console.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:25 AM
RobynC
Pro

Sorry here is a pic of the Alpine system

Old 12-30-2004, 08:37 AM
houldsworth1
Racer

Are you looking for a permantly installed unit or just something that will be used occasionally?

I have a Garmin Quest which I think is great. I can set it up in about 1 minute and put it away when it is no longer being used. You can find out details here - http://www.garmin.com/products/quest/

It comes with mapping software built in and very detailed maps which install on the PC and can be downloaded to the unit. I use mine a lot for planning routes for my motorcycle riding and then downloading the route, maps and points of interest before I leave.

It also has the advantage that you can move it to any other cars that you have or even slip it in your pocket for use when walking around. And, if you are the sort of person that is just looking for excuses to go for a drive (and are of a slightly geeky nature) then you can always do this... http://www.geocaching.com/

I find that a great way to get some hiking in that even the kids like.

Barry
Old 12-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Koenig999
AutoX

Tom Tom Go

Cheap (£312), works well in the Porsche (and the Golf), can update maps every few months, and has add-in static and favoured mobile speed camera location,with an audible warning on approach

You can add your own Points of Interest databases , either created yourself, or from the Net

For journeys of 4 hours, needs no power adapter, and then can recharge from cigarette lighter.

So, not as neat as a built in Sat-Nav, but more updateable.

Recommended

Koenig
Old 12-30-2004, 08:06 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

I use a portable NAVMAN i630 which works great! With a 128m memory card, I can store the three or four states I visit most freqeutly. I like being able to port it from car-to-car and into rentals as well. In the Countach, I set it to read out mph in the display corner; at last, with a digital speed readout, I can tell how fast I'm going. (Those tiny numbers on the small gage circle are useless to these old eyes.)
Old 12-31-2004, 02:35 AM
krisd
Instructor

I use a Dell X30 hand held with Socket Communications Bluetooth GPS unit and software. Works great and can be used in any car. The maps are extremely detailed and it ties into the outlook contacts on my Dell. The GPS unit is very small and has no wires, so you just throw it on the dash and you are set. The flap on the case for the Dell fits perfectly between the upper and lower center console, so I don't even need a holder for it. I keep the Western US, about 7 states, on the SD card.

Kris
Old 12-31-2004, 05:36 AM
huskydog
Addict
Rennlist Member

I too have the Traffic Pro. Liked it because it is a direct replacement for the factory radio. Not sure where you live, but be aware the TP is not as detailed as a DVD or Web download based system in some of the rural areas. I live in DC/Balt area and it works well for me, only negative is with Maui Jim sunglasses you cannot read the display because of their contrast qualities. (who else knew that bit of useless info)
Old 12-31-2004, 11:56 AM
TurboMark
Pro

Originally Posted by TOMDEG
Love my TrafficPro. And at $380 you can't beat it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iwnNREu...rch=trafficpro
Ditto!
Old 12-31-2004, 11:59 AM
TurboMark
Pro

Originally Posted by huskydog
I too have the Traffic Pro. Liked it because it is a direct replacement for the factory radio. Not sure where you live, but be aware the TP is not as detailed as a DVD or Web download based system in some of the rural areas. I live in DC/Balt area and it works well for me, only negative is with Maui Jim sunglasses you cannot read the display because of their contrast qualities. (who else knew that bit of useless info)
Same with the polarized revo's (more useless data!)
Old 12-31-2004, 01:12 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I love my TPro.... and yes, I have MJims. I especially like to be talked to by a female Brit!
Old 12-31-2004, 04:56 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the Alpine sytem you guys are referring to?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13214

If yes, how's that price? How much should I expect to pay for the install? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Navigation Systems