996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Garage floor advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 03:26 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have racedeck as well and it cost be about $2.90 sq.ft. Installed in June, no problems so far. Install was a snap (no pun intended) 20x24 grarage took two hours.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:07 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

At our prevous house, I had Armstrong tile installed in Sept. 1988 and sold the house in March 1992. It was a black marble-like design (alternating direction) that looked fabulous to the day we sold the house. I just mopped it a couple of times each winter. It was indeed slippery when wet. Installed in a one-car garage, the cost was $1300 (in 1988) -- quite pricey.

When we moved to our current house, I painted the garage floor with Sears heavy duty garage floor paint in August 1992 and again in October 1998. It held up extremely well. No blistering or peeling, it just wears out gradully under the tires (and we use our garage for constant in-and-out). I repainted this last summer with Sears garage floor paint, except, it turns out, this time, the paint was latex-based instead of oil-based and hasn't held up well at all. I went back to Sears and demanded my money back, and got it. Turns out, they do make the oil-based, but they don't sell it in NY. I tried to buy some in NH while visiting at Thanksgiving time, but they were out of stock and not likely to re-stock until spring. I'll try again next time we're there.

If you can get the Sears garage floor paint in oil-based mixture, I would highly recommend it.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:15 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grizzy
http://www.mitchellsimon.com/ in Englewood NJ ask for David david@mitchellsimon.com
Phil I like how you went from an 04 to an 05 -stuff gets old quickly
Mike
Better cupholders in the 997S
Old 12-31-2004, 07:20 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Try Liquid granite, epoxy based and permanent, about $3.50 a square foot installed.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:16 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Other questions about Race Deck-type materials: Do they drain or puddle from a wet car or hosing out the garage? Corollary question: Do they get all funky/moldy underneath? How do they stand up to things like floor jacks, etc.? They look trick, but I'm trying to find out in advance what I'm in for.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Hotbasco
Intermediate

Thumbs up go epoxy...

For parking only the plastic flooring is great. Looks sharp and keeps dust on the floor out of sight.

However, turn a wheel or do heavy lifting and it gets outta whack. I've gone to Porter Paints Industrial Floor epoxy. Two part epoxy requires a respirator ($20/Lowes) and an acid etch prep for the concrete floor. It holds up to hot tires (never peeled) and to cold snow/ice.

Despite the extra effort to install, it is the most durable high quality finish you can put on the floor... short of the granite cited above ;-) Now if I could find a way to drive my cars and NOT get them dirtly, that would be nirvana....
Old 01-02-2005, 10:17 PM
bavarian
Instructor

Originally Posted by arenared
Other questions about Race Deck-type materials: Do they drain or puddle from a wet car or hosing out the garage? Corollary question: Do they get all funky/moldy underneath? How do they stand up to things like floor jacks, etc.? They look trick, but I'm trying to find out in advance what I'm in for.
The Race Deck tiles have a raised profile underneath, so any water which seeps down will not puddle or get moldy; they are also treated with something antifungal. However, I would not recommend hosing it down because it is not designed for that. They make a separate version of tiles for those applications (which I did not install). I have jacked up both my 745Li and my big SUV, without any damage. (I understand it is even used in fire houses). You can find out more on line.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:56 AM
grizzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JB
ahhhh cupholders---hhhmmmmm (dunkin) donuts and coffee

Mike
Old 01-03-2005, 10:31 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Overstock .com has the race deck on sale now, 129/box.

Quick Reply: Garage floor advice