Sponsored by:

RMS leak number 2!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 11:00 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

What you need to do is to stop talking about a class action lawsuit and start complaining to the FTC in the USA. Unfortunately, Porsche will do exactly what they did with major engine problems on previous model 911s (i.e. as little as possible) unless forced. The only real fix will cost Porsche a fortune so your only real hope is to convince the government to force a fix/replacement. Everyone that has had a failed RMS needs to contact the FTC (USA Federal Trade Commision) and fill out their complaint form. Just like the Office of Defects Invegation at the DOT/NHTSA and the Emissions Warranty people at the EPA, all you need is for one (1) person to complain for the FTC to open an official inquiry. Although the more people that complain the more serious the issue becomes.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:09 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The FTC won't do anything.. the government in this country is all a business anyways.. the last thing they want to do is disrupt the economy or prevent people from buying, especially cars like these... especially with all the money and tax dollars that porsche and porsche dealerships bring to the economy...
(think about how much tax money the government makes on porsche car sales and service alone.. that's a nice amount of money... probably helping to pay for brenda and her 7 kids or paying for the war... but that's another issue..)

and if they do, it will take a long time.. a class action lawsuit, can be swift and easily done... once filed, and brought to the media attention, the discovery will show it all.. and be their downfall... although it will take months of porsche denying discovery requests, saying they are irrelevant, eventually they will have to come forward with all relevant paperwork if compelled to by a judge... and that will sink their ship...

I have been wondering... if Porsche is familiar, knows that their engines are indeed faulty and do indeed cause RMS, internal failuires, etc.. (which they are very hush hush about) and keep releasing the exact same product over and over again... putting the customer in harms way (keep in mind, when one's engine blows on them on the street or freeway for no apparent reason, this can indeed become a safety hazard..) and also causing the customer to have to pay out of their own pocket to replace the problem which they are not at fault for, isn't that consumer fraud?

It's been 7 years now, they know what's going on.. and what do they do, instead of trying to rectify the problem of the 996 owners? release the 997, with the exact same problematic engine...

lawyers, where are you? i thought a porsche was the #1 car for a lawyer to have?

The fact is, nobody really knows if the RMS correlates at all to the engine failuires, or what is going on.. but anyone that's concerned or worried about having to shell out $15,000 for a replacement engine, i'm sure would love to sleep at night knowing porsche will replace the engine free of charge if something goes wrong with it... if they replace the engine after 3 RMS leaks, that should say something... they know the engine is bad/out of spec/etc... they just wont' say it... athough once out of warranty... one is pretty much screwed, and has to pay either way...

i hire lawyers for all my business dealings, so am not to familiar with the law when it comes to consumer fraud, just familiar with the lawsuits i've been in... it'd be nice to hear what can be done from a lawyer's perspective..
Old 12-23-2004, 01:48 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Should I start moaning for a new engine?

Unfortunately no one gets a new engine because of an RMS leak. At best you will get a rebuilt engine.
WRONG!!!! I got a new engine for replacement after my RMS issues.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:03 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
The FTC won't do anything..
If nobody files a complaint then your right the FTC won't do anything and so far nobody has filed a complaint. Up until two weeks ago nobody had filed an official complaint with the EPA for the SAI emissions warranty problems that 993 owners have experienced for the past five (5) years. Someone finally did and now they have opened a case. The FTC handles all automotive non-safety and non-emissions related problems. If an RMS leaks and someone is indirectly or directly injured than the DOT/NHTSA will look into it but up until then the FTC are the only people that can/will do anything. Filing a complaint does not cost you anything more than five minutes of your time, a class action lawsuit will take two years minimum and the lawyers will benefit more than those affected. So far nobody has done anything but complain on an online bulletin board, so why not take those complaints to someone that has the power to do something? If they are unable to do anything then go ahead and spend 6 months huffing and puffing about hiring a lawyer (people have been claiming to do this for two years now but so far I haven't seen anything show up in PACER). You have nothing to lose contacting the FTC and you've already paid them for the service...

People need to stop hoping Porsche will come around and do what is right. PCNA is a business and so far the only 100% fix will cost them a HUGE fortune which is something they will fight tooth and nail against like they have with previous models. Once the warranty period for the last 996 sold is over they might publicize the real problem.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:53 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
If nobody files a complaint then your right the FTC won't do anything and so far nobody has filed a complaint. Up until two weeks ago nobody had filed an official complaint with the EPA for the SAI emissions warranty problems that 993 owners have experienced for the past five (5) years. Someone finally did and now they have opened a case. The FTC handles all automotive non-safety and non-emissions related problems. If an RMS leaks and someone is indirectly or directly injured than the DOT/NHTSA will look into it but up until then the FTC are the only people that can/will do anything. Filing a complaint does not cost you anything more than five minutes of your time, a class action lawsuit will take two years minimum and the lawyers will benefit more than those affected. So far nobody has done anything but complain on an online bulletin board, so why not take those complaints to someone that has the power to do something? If they are unable to do anything then go ahead and spend 6 months huffing and puffing about hiring a lawyer (people have been claiming to do this for two years now but so far I haven't seen anything show up in PACER). You have nothing to lose contacting the FTC and you've already paid them for the service...

People need to stop hoping Porsche will come around and do what is right. PCNA is a business and so far the only 100% fix will cost them a HUGE fortune which is something they will fight tooth and nail against like they have with previous models. Once the warranty period for the last 996 sold is over they might publicize the real problem.

POST OF THE YEAR!!! (IMHO)

Yep Jason there will be lots of talk here...never any action.

Well said
Old 12-23-2004, 07:16 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleNutz
WRONG!!!! I got a new engine for replacement after my RMS issues.
Are you absolutely certain it's a new engine? I was looking at an '02 C4S last summer and the Dealer assured me that the car had a "new" engine because of an RMS leak. Well, I had the Used Car Sales Manager check with the Service department and a few minutes later the guy told me that I was right and that the engine was rebuilt.

My understanding is that the process goes something like this: Engines that have chronic RMS issues are sent to Germany where they are rebuilt. Rebuilt engines are sent back to the US where they are used to replace engines that have chronic RMS leaks.

Fortunately I have no first hand knowledge of this problem. The explanation I'm posting came from a neighbor who unfortunately did have his engine replaced because of an RMS leak.

If you were able to get a "new" engine, I'm sure many of the readers of this Board would like to know how you accomplished this because it's not the norm.

Last edited by fast1; 12-23-2004 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:29 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

a brand new engine costs $22,000 for the part alone.. 3 times the cost of the remanufactured one.. i seriously doubt you got a new one...

don't all these rebuilts make people wonder... where in the hell are they getting all these "rebuilt" engines? they are from the thousands of porsche owners having them have their engine fail on them...

that should speak for itself... rebuilt engines are faulty engines, which porsche seems to have an endless supply of available.. last time i checked with my dealership, the ontario, california warehouse had hundreds of them waiting to be installed... not counting the thousands of remanufactured engines already replaced..
Old 12-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

I am on several Boxster boards, and there has been a few times when someone reported they were told by their service advisor that they were getting a 'new' engine. I then ask for the part number from the repair invoice and it turns out to be a rebuilt. It is easy to tell. If the part number of the engine ends with the letter X it is a rebuilt. The box it comes in also says 'exchange.' I guess you can have a new new engine or a new rebuilt engine.

In Jean's example, he was told by the service advisor engine number 3 would be new. He went to look at his car as they were finishing the install and the box the engine came in was still next to his car, as that box is used to ship the old engine back. He emailed me the part number and it was a rebuilt. When he told this to the service advisor he was told they did not have any new engines for his car, so Atlanta sent another rebuilt. Jean thinks he was given the new engine story to make him happy.

Jean never got to drive his car with replacement engine number 3. The mechanic did a test drive and there was the vibration issue that replacement #1 and #2 had. So engine #4 was ordered. When Jean was told it had arrived we went down to the shop and took a picture of the box to verify it was new, and it was.

I guess Jean's original and the 3 replacement engines are in the recycle chain.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmm Recycle until warranty is over then, F**k off. Hmmmm ..
Old 12-23-2004, 07:54 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

I am looking into this wilth legal counsel on Friday evening. Will keep you all informed. That's enough..........!!!!!

Cheers and safe driving.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:26 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
I think it has to occur three times until you get a rebuilt motor.
BTW ,I had my car in for service on Monday at the dealer and there was a 997S with 2K miles diagnosed with a RMS, clearly this problem has not been fixed with the 3.8L either.
I don't think running your car at the track had jack to do with the RMS failure, but I wouldn't mention it though. Good luck.
Some at Rennteam have accused you of "speculating" re: your comment: "and there was a 997S with 2K miles diagnosed with a RMS, clearly this problem has not been fixed with the 3.8L either."

Could you tell us how you came to learn of the RMS failure diagnosis on the 997S? Service advisor, sales dept, etc? FWIW, I doubt seriously you just pulled this out of your butt.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

No he didn't pull it out of his butt, the service manager mentioned it to him but hear say does not confirm it yet, we are hoping he can get more info on it if its posible since I doubt they (dealer) will be very cooperative:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...2&page=1&pp=15
Old 12-27-2004, 05:57 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let me tell you the problem that you are going to have with a lawsuit. You are going to need have an engine expert who is qualified to testify to the problem. And this is not someone who knows a lot about the problem. You will need a true engine expert who can be qualified under cross examination. The only individuals who probably meet this criteria are most probably working as Porsche mechanics and are not going to testify against Porsche. They could probably forget about working for a Porsche dealership if they testified. Sort of a catch-22.

There are also the "Bruce Andersons" of the world who probably have the expertise, but the liklihood of getting one of them to testify is probably zero. They would then be on the Porsche sh*t list for life.

Therein lies the problem with trying to put together a class action lawsuit......
Old 12-27-2004, 06:03 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

HHmmmmmmmmm.. Sounds like a medical malpractice scenario...
Old 12-27-2004, 06:13 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CLL ACAB
Let me tell you the problem that you are going to have with a lawsuit. You are going to need have an engine expert who is qualified to testify to the problem. And this is not someone who knows a lot about the problem. You will need a true engine expert who can be qualified under cross examination. The only individuals who probably meet this criteria are most probably working as Porsche mechanics and are not going to testify against Porsche. They could probably forget about working for a Porsche dealership if they testified. Sort of a catch-22.

There are also the "Bruce Andersons" of the world who probably have the expertise, but the liklihood of getting one of them to testify is probably zero. They would then be on the Porsche sh*t list for life.

Therein lies the problem with trying to put together a class action lawsuit......

I think you just hit this one on the head there cll acab.

Quick Reply: RMS leak number 2!