Wiring for CR-22

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 06:03 AM
Rob W.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring for CR-22

First post folks.......

Just defected from the 964 forum after buying a '99 C4. VERY impressed so far, I've been lurking on the 996 board for a while so thanks for the tips that you didn't know you'd given me

For any of you that get bored with in car hifi wiring questions - I would recommend moving on at this point - it's about to get boring

My car has the Porsche CR-22 head unit with the Hi-Fi option (code 490) and CD changer. The head unit is OK, but has a tape deck which is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. I have a Becker Mexico Pro CD that I removed from the 964 and would like to swap the head unit over. Here's the problem, now, seeing as both head units are made by Becker, and they both have the same multiplug arrangement on the rear you would have thought it was a simple unplug and re-plug operation. If only life was so simple......! I plugged in the Mexico and it all lit up - but no sound. I have looked at the wiring diagram and can see where the differences are. For any of you that have pulled the head unit, you will recall that there are four multiplugs - one large one providing power and three small interconnecting multiplugs (blue green and yellow) labelled C1, C2 & C3 providing for the ancillaries. On both head units, plug C1 (top left) is Line out left, right, front and rear which would point towards a feed for the amplifier, however when I plugged in the Mexico - no joy. The Mexico has an additional pin 6 on plug C1 for the sub out which isn't assigned on the CR-22. On both head units Plug C2 (top middle) is 'special connection for Porsche CD changer' and on the CR-22 pins 15-20 on plug C3 (top right) are 'special connection for Porsche CD changer'. Excellent - so that's not confusing - right? The Mexico is similar for plug C3 but with the additional of three auxillary inputs (left, right and earth).

Sorry for the headache inducing thread - but can anyone shed any light as to which is the feed for the Amplifier and which is the feed for the CD Changer? I have the wiring diagram for both head units but if someone else has had a similar task to solve - it would save some head scratching and digging around chasing wiring. I don't even know where the amplifier is.......!! It's early days - day three of ownership to be precise.

Cheers.

Rob W.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:51 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go on bekkers website they have a diagram or call them they're pretty helpful and helped me make an adapter for the speaker harness so I didn't have to hack it when I added my amp which runs everything.

http://www.harmanbecker.us/
Old 12-22-2004, 04:53 AM
Rob W.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pointer Sean.

Following some serious scouring of Renntech - I seem to have found the problem. It seems that pins C6 and A5 are different on the CR-22 and I need to splice them together to provide power to the Amp. I'll be investigating this evening...!

Cheers, Rob.

Quick Reply: Wiring for CR-22