Sponsored by:

Holiday ROAD RAGE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 09:56 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Exclamation Holiday ROAD RAGE!

Just thought I'd relate a driving story from this weekend.

First off, I'll be the first to admit I tend to drive my turbo fast, but I'm also always attentive and careful. I do consider the occasional quick avoidance manuver or hard braking event part of the price you pay for "moving through traffic" when some bonehead doesn't expect you to be there.

This incident was the result of a high speed highway entrance by me on to the right lane which divided off after a short distance. Lane was clear, although a Lexus just ahead of me (and moving about 30mph slower) signaled to merge into the right lane as the driver looked over his shoulder and right at me. He then swerved in front of me requiring a quick brake stab to match his speed. Not a problem yet but what he did immediately next was amazing. He looked at me in his rear view, just off his bumper due to the cut off, and slams on his brakes! I have to admit, I was caught off guard and it took my turbo's full braking into ABS to keep the nose out from under his bumper.

Well, he took off as the lane merged onto a multi-lane adjacent highway and I was left now going about 35 bewildered that someone would try to wreck me and my pristine turbo for no apparent wrong doing on my part. So I did what any holiday road rager would do and took off after him! Reeled him in after a few moments and pulled alongside on the right to checkout this moran (just looked at him with a quizical look, no finger waving). He looked over at me and proceeded to swerve into me forcing me on the shoulder to avoid a collision. I was done with him at that point, downshifted and blew his doors off.

Here's the scariest part - when I checked him out I expected to see some kind of lunatic, but he looked just like me - driving a newer Lexus no less. Just a reminder that you never know someone elses frame of mind - let's be careful out there!
Old 12-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

*&#@%$#&%*#^!^@&$*@$^!#%!#^$&$
Old 12-20-2004, 10:31 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should have dropped back to a safe distance and called in his plates...people like him should be spun into a ditch, arrested, slapped around and forced to pull rickshaw's for transport never to be let near the wheel of a car again....bunch of *insert epithets of varying degree here*

that aside, glad to here that you are ok...did he ding up ur car?
Old 12-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Apex Rex
Racer

^%(*&%R%#*^&(*)(^

People like that dont deserve a drivers license.... They should just be shot on the side of the road....
Old 12-21-2004, 12:06 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Thats when you need the Mach 5 from Speed Racer, you could have had the dsills come out of your tires and cut him and his car in half! No more problem!!!
Old 12-21-2004, 12:11 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

A guy like that is worth the cost of a Pepper (he probably wouldn't do that) & if he did - you could take his doors off (forget about blowing them off). Am I harsh - you bet.

I'm still in therapy as a result of some idiot running me into a pole & trashing my BMW on Memorial Day. It's incredible that some people disrespect small size. As a biker I can attest to that.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:18 AM
RobynC
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
*&#@%$#&%*#^!^@&$*@$^!#%!#^$&$
Potty mouth!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:19 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Man, I hear what you are saying, but what you did by going after him was just plain studpid--just as stupid as what he did--call the plates and tell the cops you think he is drunk or something...but never go after somebody with your car..you could get killed or God forbid, kill somebody with your car. Cool heads must prevail...just my opinion...

Jim
Old 12-21-2004, 01:54 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Jim is right, you've got the maximum driving machine, you've got to control it.
Don't get me wrong, I drive mine plenty hard on the street. However, I never take chances around alot of other cars, I never street race(take it to the track instead), most importantly don't get into a dangerous confrontation with an a-hole. What if you trashed your car or his, would it be worth it? What would you tell the judge?
It ain't worth it my friend, avoid severe road rage.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:43 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep a disposable camera in my car in case I need photos to document an accident, etc. While I think pulling up next to him was risky and not advisable, it would have been great if you had taken his picture (with a flash making sure he noticed) and then dropped back and taken a pic of his plate as well (with flash of course). Even if you do nothing with the pics or if the camera was empty, he will be paranoid for the next 2 mos.

On another board a guy kep an empty camera in his car...whenever someone tailgated him, his girlfriend turned around and snapped a pic (actually no pic, just the flash). He said the tailgater would react by slinking off and staying far away.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:06 AM
carbonissimo
Advanced

Cool

WHY TAKE OFF AFTER HIM ?

Old 12-21-2004, 10:53 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait............

You were overtaking him at ~30MPH in an acceleration lane?

Had he possibly picked his "spot" for merging into traffic and had to assume you were intending to take it?

Personally if it were me ahead of you I would dodge to the shoulder, assuming space available, under the circumstances I describe above but maybe he panicked...

But then many years ago I spotted a car approaching me from the rear at a very inappropriate high speed and almost dodged to the right, at just about the time he whipped right to pass me on the shoulder.

Insofar as the "afterwards" you were both IDIOTS of the highest magnitude.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:59 AM
vove
Burning Brakes

I deal with dumbasses like that all the time around the washington metropolitan area. In my mind they are just dumb or stupid but never let them get the best of you.

_An incident like that happened around here some months ago and the 996 driver was followed, dragged out of his car and beaten by some hooligans. Be careful out there guys, we have the faster car, just downshift and leave em' in the dust.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Tse-Tse
Instructor

Vove is right. It is too dangerous. (They carry guns out here in CA.) and they shoot. When the adrenaline flows, it is hard to keep cool - but take a few breaths and consider that your life is better than theirs (you are happier) and just move on.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:51 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Although I have to agree that the "camera in the car" idea is pretty slick, I agree with Tse-Tse too. My experience has been coming from the East coast, giving someone the one finger salute or tooting your horn was considered business as usual. Out here in "mellow" CA, I'm thinking that after your camera flashes, you'd better be prepared for the other "nut" to possibly send a flash your way, but it might be the last thing you ever see.

Just take a deep breath and move on. Two hours later you'll never remember the "nut with the holiday road rage". If you get shot, you'll never forget him/her. ;-o

Cheers and have a safe and happy holiday season.

Quick Reply: Holiday ROAD RAGE!