Sponsored by:

Value Question (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 12:37 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Value Question (long)

Hi there. First thanks for reading my post. I used the search engine and read several threads about the RMS and the gentleman with the repetitive engine and transmission failures.

I'm looking at a 99 black/black aero kit with 74k miles BUT with a brand new factory motor. The car I'd consider to be in fair to cloudy condition. If it was to be detailed by a pro I could get it into good condition.

I know the mechanic who works on the car. He says the clutch is fine (15k old). Brakes they just did but the rotors show lots of lip. Alarm button doesn't unlock the driver door. Needs alignment. It had a front bumper bender and he swapped it for a turbo cover. I'd want to replace.

My question is what is a 996 with a fresh motor worth? Is it less valuable? Excellence puts a poor 996 at just under 30k. Not sure how to gauge this one.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions/comments.

EDIT: This is my 993rd post!!!
Old 12-18-2004, 12:40 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry...what was the question? I got hypnotized by your avatar.

BTW, congratulations on your 993rd post!
Old 12-18-2004, 12:42 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by programmatore
I'm sorry...what was the question? I got hypnotized by your avatar.

BTW, congratulations on your 993rd post!
I get that a lot!

My question is what is a 996 with a fresh motor worth? Is it less valuable? Excellence puts a poor 996 at just under 30k. Not sure how to gauge this one.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:59 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are probably referring to me, as that "person" :>

when was the engine replaced? If it was just paid for in full by the previous buyer, that may be a bonus, as it will be covered for the next 2 years in the case of any engine problems...

the aero kit porsches all demand quite high premiums... you mention the $30k figure, but I have never seen an aero kit porsche sell for less than high $30ks...
but with that mileage and that condition... around $35k sounds about right.. but only because it's an aero kit porsche... non aero, a little less... imho..

unfortunately, another porsche with a replacement engine... everytime i hear it, just makes me more upset at it all..
Old 12-18-2004, 04:14 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Hi. The motor was replaced 3700 miles ago. Again I'm not sure of the 'value' of a replaced motor 996. I remeber the dealerships trying to sell me one at little above retail due to the fresh motor.

Just not sure.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:38 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

ask them how much warranty time is left on the new motor/engine.. it should be in the computer... that may help you decide..
Old 12-18-2004, 07:26 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nota_troll
Hi. The motor was replaced 3700 miles ago. Again I'm not sure of the 'value' of a replaced motor 996. I remeber the dealerships trying to sell me one at little above retail due to the fresh motor.

Just not sure.
thats too funny!

The cars value is WITH a motor!!!!..... a new motor adds no value.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:12 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

True. Phil - I love that car!!

Well looks like the guy wants 30k. SHould I jump?
Old 12-19-2004, 09:45 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

$30k hmm... that's ridicuously cheap.. it sounds like he may potentially realize there is something majorly wrong with it and wants to unload it as fast possible... there may be a problem with the second engine, ($15k), tranny ($9k), gearbox ($14k), etc.. and he may want to unload it before they go out and he has to pay for it, etc... don't jump before you get a full porsche inspection.. $30k for an aero kit porsche is way too low.. even in poor condition... unless he looks like he's made of money and doesn't really care.. i'd definately be cautious... with 74,000 miles, there might be something he's not telling you about the vehicle that he knows... definately check the engine warranty and see if it still applies.. get a ppi test, etc.. if he refuses to let you do so, don't walk run..

if anything i can teach you from my experiences with my 99 porsche... i've had over $47,000 in repairs in 1,100 miles of ownership.. i thought i got a good deal at the time... but those repairs definately can add up :I

remember, just because it was replaced 3700 miles ago, doesn't mean it's new.. my third engine went bad after 150 miles of driving.. the cylinder came out of the sleeve.. I didn't even know it until porsche inspected it... i could have kept driving it, but it would have eventually failed... an engine replacement is $15,000... maybe something like that happened.. and/or the engine might not be new, but simply from a used wrecking yard with no warranty...

definately be cautious.. as i've learned, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is... nice post number btw :>
Old 12-19-2004, 09:57 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Bob. You certainly have my ear. I've read several of your posts. Terrible situation to be sure.

The mechanic who did the work on his car is also a friend whom I've had several PPIs (993, S4, M3) performed on used cars. IF/When we get to the purchase phase I have one true Porsche tech who would give the car the "latex reach around".

Now...to get it past committee
Old 12-19-2004, 10:32 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

it doesn't matter what he says.. he wants to sell the car obviously... it's all about what the porsche dealer says to "you" when you bring it in for a full inspection.. while you're there, make sure to have a full service history printed out.. but then again it sounds like he didn't use porsche for much of the work, so it may not help much... best of luck.. if all checks out good, check into extended warranties.. for $30k, with a 74k mile 99, use that extra money saved to get one.. you'll sleep alot better at night..

Quick Reply: Value Question (long)