Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anybody see the article on the 9ff "club sport" 3.4??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004 | 07:11 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
.... Able to change the amount of power you want with a simple change of pully. The car is faster to 100 mph than an equally equipted Turbo.
Couple of Qs for ya:

What do you mean by "simple change of pully"?. I picture some sort of lever tucked under the dash or soemthing.

In the UK it's extreemely expensive to get an SC fitted. Order of £5000 for an EVO at Ninemeister. That's about $10,000. Does that compare with US prices.

I have often thought of buying one in the US and bringing it back to the UK to have it fitted. But is that really feasible? I mean sureley there's a fair ammount of tweaking to do to get it right and I guess the fitter would have to know what he is doing.

What extra burden does an SC have on the engine? Is it like a sh*t more pressure that takes it to the max. I guess I don't understand how they work. I just know you can't extract blood out of a stone.

Saying that I read a bunch of Rennlisters have an SC and are very happy with it so far.

TIA.
Old 12-17-2004 | 07:23 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

You can buy the blower and all components from EVOM.com for about $10,000. It includes new fuel injectors, reprogramming of computer, etc. The pulley I spoke of is the pulley that drives the blower. The smaller the pulley, the more RPM's the blower turns and the more boost that is produced.

As far as the extra strain on the engine...I don't give it a second's thought. My current setup produces and effective compression ratio of about 16.3:1. (6.5 lbs of boost on top of a static compression ratio of 11.3:1). Remember, this is the MAXIMUM pressure put on the engine at redline. Any speed less than that has a reduced level of pressure. With a SC, you can cruise at 130 mph without introducing any boost to the engine. (like a stick engine) Although the boost is being created at that spped, it is not entering the engine because there is a vacuum in the engine while cruising. The boost is only introduced to the engine upon quick throttle demands or WOT when vacuum is removed from the system. Otherwise, the boost simply circulates outside the engine.

I may increase my boost to 8 psi and am not worried as to the increase pressure on the engine. Contact Todd at EVOM.COM and he'll set you up.
Old 12-17-2004 | 07:29 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Wow at the current dollar rate that's half the price here!

Realistically, how easy are they to fit? I mean is this a DIY project for someone who has only ever taken a straight 4 apart before? Also any gotcha's or things that could go wrong?
Old 12-17-2004 | 07:36 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

It's not a simple install, but you could do it. A shop here would charge about $1500 to do the install. The most difficult is the 3rd radiator and tubing which requires the front bumper to come off. The new injectors can be a pain to get to, but are doable. There might be a dealer near you that has installed the blower before. Contact Todd and see if he knows of someone close by.

Todd provides everything you need for the install...including clamps, tie wraps, hosing, etc. I think the only thing that is not included is the antifreeze that goes into the new radiator.
Old 12-17-2004 | 07:38 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

OK will do. Many thanks for the insight.

Cheers
Old 12-17-2004 | 07:40 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

With the exchange rate at what it is right now, It would be a steal for you to get the SC.
Old 12-17-2004 | 07:44 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I know but only if I could fit it all into luggage. The cost of import duty/VAT/landing fees/shipping and g-d knows what else it would mount up. If al the items combined are fairly small and fairly light I mau seriously consider it. I will be in SF end of Jan.
Old 12-17-2004 | 08:56 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

It had a full cosmetic update. I am not sure about the nose though. I think I would have to see it in person to judge the 9ff style bumper.

Andial, hmmmm....I wonder waht the cost might be.

Chad

Quick Reply: Anybody see the article on the 9ff "club sport" 3.4??