FabSpeed cold air kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 12:39 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

rjfabcab,

Thanks for the response and clarification... I think i'll open it back up and remove the ring.. I was going to try to super glue that sucker on but I think i'll just go without it.
I wasn't trying to flame or slander Fabspeed, I was just giving you guys my opinion. I knew before purchasing the product that I wasn't going to get 8+hp and see huge differences. I just thought I would see or hear something.. Like someone said, maybe I just need to give it some time to allow it to re-program itself. I think i'll use the o-ring from the stock muffler to better seal off the gap in the hole.

Has anyone tried modifying the stock hose/box so that air can travel through both sides of the box directly. In that I mean possibly using the stock "Y" hose and drilling a hole in the "occludder"

BTW
The setup only cost about 200 buxs, not alot for what its suppose to do.. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.. If for anything just to say that I have a "Cold Air Intake"

-prentender
Old 12-16-2004, 01:47 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

redduck996,

The kit probably doesn't sound quite as loud since you have a coupe vs. a cabriolet.

Do not drill a hole in your "occluder". All this will do is allow the entrainment of hot engine air into your intake system. If you hook up the stock "Y" hose without any muffler or occluder, you'll probably increase turbulent airflow. However, more importantly, the intake air will bypass the air filter and go straight to the engine.

You don't want to do that...

I ran the Fab sport mufflers for a long time and loved them. Nice construction, good quality, and good sound. Good pull on WOT from the seat of the pants-O-meter!

I just liked the PSE sound better.

Cheers
Old 12-16-2004, 02:10 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default re

You said something about un-filtered air.. I thought if the air came from the airbox and thru the filter that it was filtered air.
What I meant was drill a hole in the occludder, use the stock "Y" hose and place it over the occluder. That way clean filtered air from both left and right side of the airbox is getting channel thru to the throttle body. The only downside I see is that the air from the small by-pass pipe is not getting recorded from the MAF sensor.
Or would the air just come in from the big hole and escape out of the small hole and never get to the throttle body? (just circulates within the box and hose)

Maybe a physics scholar can help us out..

What do you think?
Old 12-16-2004, 03:27 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Air comes from the bottom of the box. As far as drilling an extra hole and getting more air in from the y pipe is not gonna work. The air pressure is constant and that you are more concern with air speed rather than volume for more performance. See given that the air pressure is the same opening another hole is gonna divide the air between the two and the speed of air is lost, also consider that the engine makes all of its fuel and timing based on the air going over the MAF. IMO dividing the air would lead to less performance.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:08 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default re

cool thats kinda what I thought. I was just thinking aloud
Old 12-16-2004, 07:45 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I misunderstood and had a temporary brain fart.

As jetskied already mentioned, using the stock Y hose with no occluder/muffler, or an occluder with a hole in it would cause some of the intake air to bypass the MAF sensor. You are correct. It is filtered air.

For some reason I thought your were thinking of drilling a hole in the occluder without the Y hose, thus allowing the entrainment of hot engine air to enter the airbox and head straight for the MAF and throttle body in an "unfiltered" state.

Regardless, MAFs are sensitive and I wouldn't "redirect" air around the MAF. As I understand it, the stock airbox already provides an overabundance of intake air. To gain full advantage of a freer flow intake, you would probably need to invest in a set of free flow sport mufflers and consider remapping.

When I ran the Fab muffs and intake, the car pulled nicely at speed and higher rpms, but there may have been a slight amount of flat spotting at low rpms. Nothing serious, though.

Cheers
Old 12-16-2004, 10:44 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default re

I think i'm feeling those blips or flat spots at around 2500-3500 rpms.

But it doesn't feel like hesitation, it feels more like a sudden jolt or burst when I up shift or open up the throttle. Maybe i'm not shifting right.. ahhaa
Old 12-17-2004, 12:01 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redduck996
I think i'm feeling those blips or flat spots at around 2500-3500 rpms.

But it doesn't feel like hesitation, it feels more like a sudden jolt or burst when I up shift or open up the throttle. Maybe i'm not shifting right.. ahhaa
What year is your car? You might be noticing the Variocam kicking in.

My slight flat spotting was in the same range as you mention above, but I was running the Maxflo exhaust. So, my symptoms were probably related to the decreased amount of back pressure from the exhaust. I had this "issue" with the mufflers before any intake mods.

With the sport muffs and intake changes the car sure did pull nicely at higher rpms and higher speeds. I have no data for this, it is simply my subjective impression.

The sound was terrific.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:13 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default re

MY03
Old 12-17-2004, 12:54 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redduck996
MY03
Then it's probably the Variocam. You might be interested in this thread from Loren's site:

Variocam
Old 01-19-2005, 11:47 AM
vyper340
Pro

Which version of the Fabspeed exhaust did you use and like?

Their videos are great and the straight pipe sounded WICKED!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 10:56 PM
RevUrGT3
Racer

I have a brand new kit that I had ordered for my 996 and never got to use... anyone interested?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:13 AM
vyper340
Pro

How much and which kit?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:44 AM
RevUrGT3
Racer

Hey vyper,

I have Fabspeed's 996 Performance Cold Air Airbox Upgrade/Enhancement Kit, including the BMC F1 airfilter.

I do not think it will fit the Turbo though. PM me if you are interested...

Quick Reply: FabSpeed cold air kit