Carrera Power Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 02:38 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Carrera Power Kit

Hi:

I was wondering if anyone here has had the Porsche Carrera Powerkit installed on a 2002 or newer 996. Looking for feedback on performance and cost information. Also saw a post of a dealer in Oregon that sells Porsche parts at about 15% over cost. Anyone know the name. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a 2002 C2 (3.6 of course) to a 2004 40 Jahre with the X51. Yes, it does make quite a difference. Is it worth buying as an option on a new car? Not for what you can buy the kit for and have it installed. Keep one thing in mind (although there are shops who can do this in-house now), one of your valve covers will have to be sent to Germany for machining a fitment for an additional oil scavenge pump. They have to use your original piece because it is also a piece that incorporates the bearing surfaces for your camshafts. If you can buy this kit and have it installed by a dealer (at a discount) or someone reputable and retain warranty, it's worth every penny. If your car is out of warranty, don;t waste your time and just buy a supercharger.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:54 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the quick reply. Any idea where I can find performance figures and torque curve etc.?
Old 12-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

This is about all I can find right away:

http://www3.us.porsche.com/isapi/eng...at=Performance

I can tell you that I believe it adds more than 25 HP based on the feeling of the car. It pulls much stronger in the higher RPMs with no loss on the bottom end. It sounds different too. I doubt that you'll find anyone who doesn't feel the same way. Packaged together in the 40 Jahre car, it was a bargain. Alone, at $20K Canadian, it could be debated. I thought that I saw Brandywine or another dealer in the US advertising all the required parts for about $9500 USD plus installation (15 hours?). Check on-line or pick up a copy of Excellence and go through all the dealership ads.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:00 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is worth every penny as long as it was fitted on production of the car as an option.

i wouldn't do it afterwards.....

it is expensive,
it is original porsche equip.,
it gives power to the car +25 Hp, but in fact it transforms all the car....

it is up to you....
Old 12-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

There is a guy in Toronto who had it done after-the-fact and didn't see any downsides to it. In fact, the local dealer gave him a break on the parts and labor so it cost less than the option when ordering the car new. This local dealer has done a few of these with no issues. I agree, it's more than 25 HP, it does transform the car in way that an air filter, exhaust and ECU upgrade could ever match. I'm willing to bet that the parts can be had for under $9000 USD and labor for about $1500 if it's shopped around.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:06 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Thanks again. I will look into it further.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Good man. Go help the economy and spend a ton of money
Old 12-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Alon,

which dealer are you speaking of in Toronto... do you know if they can retrofit the 3.4 engines as well... I hear there was a powerkit for this model as well that made it really quick!!!

cheers
Pete
Old 12-14-2004, 03:22 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alon
There is a guy in Toronto who had it done after-the-fact and didn't see any downsides to it. In fact, the local dealer gave him a break on the parts and labor so it cost less than the option when ordering the car new. This local dealer has done a few of these with no issues. I agree, it's more than 25 HP, it does transform the car in way that an air filter, exhaust and ECU upgrade could ever match. I'm willing to bet that the parts can be had for under $9000 USD and labor for about $1500 if it's shopped around.

it does transform the car in way that an air filter, exhaust and ECU upgrade could ever match, just because it is not that type of mod. ECU-exhaust-filter.....

and that's what you pay for......

but again....why change a team that already wins?......

i wouldn't spend $10k on this mod....(may be not on any mod....)

car is fast...no need for extra 10K......
Old 12-14-2004, 03:25 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alon
and something i forgot.....

iitis not that i do not trust dealers.......
in fact i trust them more (if they offer me warranty) on their work than anything else.....
BUT....

i would never "open" my car's engine in such a stage of mod for that reason....

problem is not the mechanic....is the procedure itshelf undertaken ....that's all
Old 12-14-2004, 03:50 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I think that kit is just for 3.4 engines. Not 3.6.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:13 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You mean 3.6, not 3.4.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:29 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Couple questions:

Is there one for a 3.4, or is for the 3.6. Carnewal has it listed for the 3.6.
However, www.lufteknic.com is very specific, saying its for 00-01. www.lufteknic.com is selling the kit for $8,500.00.

Finally, when you have work done on a car that is out of warranty, by a dealer, isn't the work under warranty? If so, isn't the x-51 essentially an engine rebuild and wouldn't that mean your engine is under warranty. Wishful thinking but thought I would ask.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:51 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is one for each the 3.4 and 3.6L kit. The 3.4L kit was not approved for the US market, but there are some dealers and part houses that can get it for you. It is a rather involved conversion as the heads, cams, intake and piston are changed. Its not a complete rebuild as the bottom end does not have the bearings replaced. I would imagine that if the dealer does the install and that the parts are OE porsche I would imagine it falls under the same warranty as their 2 year parts warranty.

Quick Reply: Carrera Power Kit