So-Called Real Carbon Fiber Dash Kit For Cheap

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 02:11 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So-Called Real Carbon Fiber Dash Kit For Cheap

This is probably one of the more attractive kits i've seen floating around on ebay.

do you think that it might be real at all? i mean, yes porsche's kits are marked up as hell..but this seems a bit too cheap. even if its fake, how different will it look from real? have any of you ordered such kits?

(note: Not endorsing, selling, recommending the product, just asking about it)

Carbon fiber dash kit on ebay
Old 12-14-2004, 04:22 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

real carbon fiber is much more expensive than what you see there... it's just the carbon fiber look... it's the most expensive type of material out there for vehicles... for $299, I doubt you are getting anything but some plastic made to look like it, as in the wood kits you see on ebay made of plastic coming out of china.. but of course it's cosmetic only, and you won't actually be using the carbon fiber for any purpose... (such as an under front spoiler) so it's really a question if you want to spend thousands more for interior mods that will serve no real purporse other than being "real carbon fiber" vs almost looking like real carbon fiber.... it's like buying an armani suit or buying a men's warehouse suit.. enthusiasts will know the difference, 95% of the population won't...
Old 12-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Webtool
Instructor

I just finished laying up a 96 square foot aft deck roof for my boat with GRP and what surprised me was that carbon fibre while more expensive is really not hugely more $$.
A running 4 ft wide yard of CF is $30 Canadian> You need to use epoxy which is more costly but the mold & process is similar to GRP so I can't see the enormous premium for CF unless I am missing something here.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:16 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's the process involved in making the carbon fiber molded correctly with the epoxdy to appear the way it's supposed to.. it's not the easiest material to work with... any small imperfection and you have to start all over, otherwise it will be clearly visible.. lots of labor involved when done by hand..
Old 12-14-2004, 12:05 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I think these stick on trim kits are going to devalue your car much more than the cost of the kit itself.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:49 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

okb is right on. Don't do it. You want some CF parts, get them. We supply a few, in actual factory matched CF, and the factory parts are used. Otherwise, don't waste your money and time trashing your interior with Lee Press On Nails for cars.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

hmm..i've found my shortcut: kelly moss motorsports has the entire dash assy. for 1300$..and it weights only 4 pounds

eric..i'll take a look at ur site later on in the evening. thanks for the info
Old 12-14-2004, 07:29 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I bought it at 299 about 6 months ago. I never installed any of it. It really doesn't look bad at all, but I have the factory CF steering wheel and it is not even close to looking the same. I sold it for 200

Quick Reply: So-Called Real Carbon Fiber Dash Kit For Cheap