Sponsored by:

seeking wiper blade wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 01:55 PM
Kirk S
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default seeking wiper blade wisdom

is there any established consensus for where to buy replacement wiper blades for a 996? i have an '02 C4S in case it matters.

seems that it is somewhat impossible to simply replace the rubber inserts, must buy entire blade assembly to attach to the wiper arms.

i have located the following sources/prices:

local dealer, $54.00 for pair of blades
Sunset Imports (Oregon), $24
Costco $16

i fear that the costco solution would lack the oddly curved passenger-side blade and therefore would yield sub par performance.

thanx for any feedback. i'm guessing most people already have their favorite source for this item.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:08 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Most of the local auto parts stores have Bosch blades on a display stand.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Kirk...

I use Bosch micro edge blades on my C2. About 10.00 each and you do have to replace the blade assembly but it takes about a minute to do each one...

BTW, someone said Bosch micro edge are the same blades Por$sche sells you only it doesnt have the P/name on the assembly...

Up here in Oregon...we know a lot about wiper blades because even when its sunny it rains.

Jim
Old 12-13-2004, 03:15 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

wow.. good to know.. I just spent 60 buxs on a set of new porsche blades.

The curve is pointing up on both sides right?

The costco blades with the teflon thingy looks like they would work great..
I rainX the car anyway.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:32 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 540 Posts

Jim : Do you have the stock number handy for the Bosch blades ? Thanks for the good info....
Old 12-13-2004, 06:40 PM
Kirk S
Advanced

Default new info, just bought bosch blades, but there's a glitch...

...the bosch blades called out by Checker Auto Part's computer, #40922, Micro Edge Excel, which i bought, are identical units (i.e. no difference driver side vs. passenger side).

i thought this was wrong (passenger side oem blade has an interesting curve to it). but i took a pair of blades anyhow just in case they might work.

got home, compared, sure enough, no go. i suppose they may work but the passenger-side unit is definitely not the same as the oem passenger blade.

these cost $13.99 each at Checker, so figure $28 + sales tax. for nearly same amount i think i'll just go with the $24 [+ shipping] pair of [allegedly oem?] blades from Sunset Imports in Oregon and get the real deal.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:19 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gotta take a look at my wiper when I get home. Why can't you just change the refills? I've been able to change refills only on all of my cars.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Andrew...

The blades I use are Bosch MicroEdge Excel. I said earlier that they were just the Micro Edge...but, in fact, they are Micro Edge Excel. Please see the Bosch website for details and specifics as well as the correct sizing for the P/car you own.

http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/WiperBlades/

Their part number is 40922 for both front and rear blades. Each blade is designated as 22 inches. In actuality, the rubber blade itself measures 21.5 inches. The entire assembly is 22 inches. My receipt shows I paid $10.99 each. There is no designation for right or left side use.

I went out to the garage and did a quick inspection of the blades. Both blades fit flat against the windscreen. On the passenger side at its farthest point closest to the passenger door, about 1/8 inch of the blade is off the windscreen, IOW, that 1/8 of an inch does not come into contact with the windscreen in the park position. Any position other than park, the entire blade comes in contact with the windscreen. This is true for both sides.

The blades have performed flawlessly not only on BamBam but on my three other cars as well. They are a very soft rubber compound with a very quiet sweep...no rub sounds, etc. I will say this...that up here we use a lot of RainX as well. Combined with the micro edge blade and the beading action of the RainX these are the best blades I've ever used and they clearly out perform the OEM, IMHO.

I should also point out that it is not unusal for the blades to be replaced up here 2x in the winter months if you drive the freeways everyday, but with the micro edge Excel by Bosch I can go thru an entire winter on one set.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to you.

Jim
Old 12-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Kirk S
Advanced

i'm thinking maybe i'll hang on to my bosch wiper blade units (the 40922's) from Checker, and experiment a little with the passenger-side situation where the oem blade has the oddball warping/curve in its design. ok, i agree, way too much time on my hands

i don't doubt that the 40922's work well, i just always get nervous when i see a clear visual difference between oem and non-oem. i've owned 5 porsches over the past 17 years and i've been burned before by things that looked like a simple shortcut vs. the true oem parts. only the paranoid survive

thank you to all who provided input on this arguably trivial topic !!

Quick Reply: seeking wiper blade wisdom