Sponsored by:

2002 996 Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 08:45 PM
toothdoc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 996 Transmission Problems

I have 2002 996 with only 5000 miles on it. 2nd gear had been popping out when driving normal, so I took it to the dealership. They told me I needed a whole new transmission. Got the new transmission put in, and on the way home from the dealership, going 75mph on the highway, 6th gear popped out. Then some weird noise started to come from underneath the car, and the next thing I know the car turns completely off and the transmission is totally locked up. My poor 996 is then towed back to the dealership, where the story continues......... At least they have given me a 2004 Cayenne S as a loaner. Anyone have or know what transmission problems the 2002 have? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:34 PM
fahren affair
Pro

don't know about the '02s. i had the 'box in my '00 do a similar thing at 45k miles. it was replaced under warranty, and no problems since.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:53 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's what happened to my transmission on the freeway... sounds like they didn't tighten down the bolts properly when installing the new transmission in corellation to the engine... which means, your new transmission, (most likely) is as useful as a boat anchor and is a wreck.. they should cover it... lucky you are still under warranty... going through trannys isn't cheap and $8k-$9k a pop with labor.. best of luck..
Old 12-11-2004, 10:41 AM
toothdoc
Intermediate

Default bobporsche996

Any chance that there was damage to the engine from this? How many miles did you have when your transmission locked up? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:06 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

I don't think it affects the engine.. after the dealer installed my 3rd engine (sigh), on the way home, this is when it happened.. I called up the dealer, and they basically let their insurance company cover the costs since i'm out of warranty... apparently one of the mechanics made a mistake somewhere along the road when connecting the tranny to the engine.. I don't know the specifics.. but my engine has a 2 year warranty on it, so i'm not too concerned.. you on the other hand, with a 2002.. if you bought it in 2001, your warranty may be going out soon, so you may want to look into it further..

i'm at 50k miles, but it was the fault of the dealer why this happened when installing the new engine, not the car's fault itself.. so the mileage in my case was irrelevant..

don't trust what the dealer says... they will tell you the engine is fine, but you never know? I'm not a porsche mechanic... hopefully someone on this board can assist you to see if this could have caused damage to your tranny.. but from what you described, this is the fault of the porsche mechanic/dealer, and they should cover a new one no questions asked... if anything else is affected.. I really don't know... when does your warranty expire?

Did it sound like a bunch of clinking, clunking under your car, and then the next thing you knew, none of the gears worked? and had to pull over? And then when you pulled over, all you could do is rev up the engine? If so... wrecked tranny... non rebuildable, as that's what happened to me...
Old 12-11-2004, 04:35 PM
toothdoc
Intermediate

My warranty expires in August of 2005. Your description of what happens when the tranny goes out was right on, except my car turned completely off. I couldn't rev anything. My nerves are still shot after yesterday. I came within a hair of being rear ended by an 18 wheeler, and there was nothing I could do. That is why I am so upset. I could have been seriously hurt. Did you come close to getting hit or were you not on a highway? Did you ever contact Porsche headquarters in Altanta? Thanks Bob.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Vespa Dude
2nd Gear

Hey sonds like you could have gotten a bum tranny . This happen to a friend of mine and Porsche took care of it no problem.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:34 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

yup, while pulling over to the side of the road, i almost got rear ended, side swiped another car next to me, etc... before i finally got over to the side of the road... and then when I did... everyone beeped at me.. as if it was my fault I was blocking or causing traffic to slown down..

it was my fifth time being forced on the side of the freeway in 1,100 miles of having my car... if you want to see how frusterated I was, feel free to do a
search on my post under " i give up! $43,000 in repairs in 1,100 miles"

I kinda of went off... as my tranny went out on the way home from the porsche dealership after just spent $15,000 to have another engine replaced, after just having another engine replaced 150 miles earlier... I was pretty damn infuriated by that time.. knowing a tranny would cost me another $9000+... I actually told the tow truck driver to take the car wherever he wanted, and that i didn't care.. took a taxi home and went to sleep.. I didn't care at that point anymore what happened to the car... i've of course come to my senses since then... and am still waiting for it to be repaired... that was a month ago....

it's actually pretty good the tranny went out on me and not something else minor, otherwise i would have probably driven it to the dock and driven it off.. insurance company might not have liked that one <g>

i'm as frusterated as you are with my car... but what can one do... and until it happens to anyone else on this list, nobody will understand how stressful upsetting events like this can be....

in terms of contacting porsche headquarters.. i gave up on contacting them a long time ago.. they are as useless as calling 1-800-555-5555... bunch of drones that sit there and tell you to contact your dealer... they don't take complaints (For obvious reasons.. to protect themselves in the case of a lawsuit in the future) via phone or via mail... they offer absolutely no assistance, or emotion, or help of any kind.. try it, and you will see... "contact your dealer" that's all they will tell you...

good luck, i do empathize with you and wish I could offer some assistance.. atleast they gave you a porsche cayenne s, which is pretty nice... from what I was told, there are no more trannies in the us currently, so I had to wait 3 weeks to have it shipped on the slow boat from germany...

- bobporsche996
- still waiting...
Old 12-13-2004, 09:17 PM
toothdoc
Intermediate

The dealer, as well as PCNA, called me today. They told me that there was a catastropic failure of the 2nd transmission. They think that the transmission some how fell in transit from Germany to the U.S. causing something to break internally. They won't know for sure until it's shipped back and evaluated. They said that this is a one in million shot. Maybe I should play the lotto

I must say I am extremely impressed with PCNA. They were very nice and understanding. They have offered me a settlement(i.e. extended warranty, etc)And the local dealer has also offered to buy the car back and sell me a new one at invoice.

I hope my experience never happens to any of you, but rest assured if it does PCNA will step up to the plate and make things right. Thanks to all of you for your input these last few days.

Bob,

Sorry to hear about how PCNA treated you. They took my info down, and it about 3 hours someone from corporate called me. I had a totally different experience then you. They do have trannies in the US, because they ordered mine today, and it will be here tom. Sounds like your notting getting told the truth by someone? I called 1 800 Porsche. Is that who you called? Wow, never had the chance to read your past posts. Looks like you have had a lot of problems with your Porsche. Your right about no one understanding the frustration until it happens to you. What year is your car? Is it still under warranty at all? Thanks for your input!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:51 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

toothdoc: the guy that worked on Bob's car did not tighten the bolts for the half shaft to spec. It happens. I know the guys that took care of the mess.

It sounds like your was another issue.

I also had issues, (engine) Barrier and Porsche took care of it.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:24 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

well it's good to see that porsche actually did that for you.. that's extremely encouraging... for once I must give porsche props if they treated you with such respect.. unfortunately I haven't had much luck myself.. of course i'm out of warranty... and not the original owner, maybe that had something to do with it... or maybe porshce is starting to get their act together and care about their customers? hopefully it's the later..

Quick Reply: 2002 996 Transmission Problems