Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My very first Porsche mods (insert pat on back)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004 | 03:23 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Default My very first Porsche mods (insert pat on back)

A couple of weeks ago, I was in Dallas and picked up a set of Ruf pedals from the kind gentlemen at the brand new Ruf Autocenter. Read through every link I could find on the topic of installing aftermarket pedals and figured I could try it myself. Heck, what could go wrong? New Porsche and power tools. Throw in some noxious chemicals (denatured alcohol for those inane air bag stickers) and I was ready to spend a rainy day in the garage.

I posted pictures of my process and hope that others might learn from them. For instance, just mount the deadpedal on top of the existing one. I know - others have posted this but I wanted to try & get it more flush with the carpet. Also, spring loaded clamps with rubber tips ($2 at HD) work even better than "C" clamps for holding the pedals in place. (wish I'd known that before mounting the brake pedal , no scratches & lower profile makes them easier to work with in cramped spaces). The stickers came off pretty easily and you can hardly tell they were there.

Next up - garage door switch, hardwiring my valentine, and cloning the spoiler switch. Think I'm going to leave electrical stuff to the professionals.

http://www.somniplex.com/gallery/1stmods
Old 12-10-2004 | 03:36 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

K,
That reminds me of my experience a couple of months ago with my rennline pedals. I couldn't drill thru the brake pedal for all the tea in china. Broke 4 bits on it. Finally had a friend do it in his shop, what a bitch that was.
Old 12-10-2004 | 04:34 PM
Ekename
Pro

Looks pretty sharp! Thanks for the pics.
Old 12-10-2004 | 06:01 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Once you start moding...there's no turning back... :0

You need to be a bit of a contortionist to install the aluminum pedals--mine took around an hour, but boy did my body ache afterward!

For the visor stickers, I took my visors out of the car and worked on them on my work bench--they slide off the metal poles they're on. After removing the sticker with denatured alcohol, I used 3M general purpose adhesive remover to get rid of the glue residue. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but after a minute or so of rubbing, the residue starts to melt off. Then applied 303 Protectant and they look great.
Old 12-11-2004 | 12:07 AM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Poursh - how did you get the visors off? I looked at them for awhile and tugged a little before deciding to leave them in place - thought it would help avoid getting the alcohol on the mirror hinges & ruining them. Just slide them off - aren't there wires or something to power the mirror light?

& C4sS - did you remove the brake pedal for your friend or was he able to get at it in place?
Old 12-11-2004 | 12:47 AM
programmatore
Drifting

The visors' "arms" attach to the roof of the car. Pop off the little plastic covers with a small flat-head screwdriver then use an allen wrench to unscrew the visors.
Attached Images  

Last edited by programmatore; 12-11-2004 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-11-2004 | 12:56 AM
programmatore
Drifting

BTW, I love those pedals. Was the brake pedal a real pain to attach? (Your website showed pictures of the clutch pedal install but not the brake pedal.)

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the pedals? Weissach sells the 3 pedals for $299 and the dead pedal for $199 and I am wondering if I can get a better deal from Ruf Auto Centre. Also, can you look at these pedals from Carnewal? http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96112.htm They look pretty similar to the Ruf pedals but you're better qualified to tell the difference since you have the real thing.

Thanks for the info and I hope you enjoy your new mods!
Old 12-11-2004 | 01:42 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Porscha, I used a regular drill-no way in hell. I couldn't stabilize it enough to drill thru the steel. That shist is hard let me tell you. I finally gave up 2hrs, several hardened drill bits later, I took the car into the shop(RPM), they had a nice laugh and drilled it for me.
Old 12-11-2004 | 02:09 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Nice job!
Old 12-11-2004 | 01:54 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kristap
Poursh - how did you get the visors off? I looked at them for awhile and tugged a little before deciding to leave them in place - thought it would help avoid getting the alcohol on the mirror hinges & ruining them. Just slide them off - aren't there wires or something to power the mirror light?

& C4sS - did you remove the brake pedal for your friend or was he able to get at it in place?
No need to unscrew anything to remove them. The metal pole that they swivel forward and backward on is inserted into the visor, so to remove the visor, swivel back and forth while pulling toward the side of the car, ant it will slide out.
Old 12-11-2004 | 01:59 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by programmatore

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the pedals? Weissach sells the 3 pedals for $299 and the dead pedal for $199 and I am wondering if I can get a better deal from Ruf Auto Centre. Also, can you look at these pedals from Carnewal? http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96112.htm They look pretty similar to the Ruf pedals but you're better qualified to tell the difference since you have the real thing.
I got mine at Carnewal. They are virtually identical to the RUF pedals, without the RUF logo, and cheaper. Now that the dollar has taken a dive vs. the euro, I'm not sure how much they are, but when I got them they were around $200 less including deadpedal.
Old 12-11-2004 | 02:05 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

The brake pedal was a pain but with the aluminum pedal held in place over it with 2 C clamps and a titanium drill bit, I was able to do it. I had broken drill bits when trying to reposition the deadpedal a little higher than originally planned in order to accomodate some openings in the well. These openings prohibited me from fastening the lower end of the deadpedal as I wanted so I shifted the deadpedal higher to bring the pedal holes above those openings. Unfortunately, this meant the top hole in the pedal was positioned directly above a steel bolt which I had not seen. I then proceeded to break 2 drill bits on that bolt before realizing what I was doing. After that frustration, the clutch & even brake pedal went very well. The whole key, I think, is clamping down the aluminum pieces on top of the pedals (after removing the aluminum).

Those pedals which Carnewal is offering look to be the same as my Ruf pedals sans logo. I bought mine from the Ruf Autocenter in Dallas (just can't say enought nice things about those guys). The pedal set + deadpedal + tax were $410.
Old 12-30-2004 | 11:53 AM
splitwindow
Intermediate

Looking at carnewal's site, the pedal set is 195 e and the dead pedal is 95 e and with current exchange rates the price is close to $410. So getting a RUF pedal set would make sense as the price is about the same - even though one doesn't get anything else than RUF-text in the pedals

Edit:

$410 happened to be the sale price for the pedal set but I got mine with $410 also from RUF Autocentre
Old 12-30-2004 | 02:11 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

The RUF pedals looks much nicer with the RUF logo on them, but the carnewal looks sharp too.

I've got some vosstek track racing pedals on the way, if anyone personally install these into their 996 please post some instruction.

Quick Reply: My very first Porsche mods (insert pat on back)