Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The greatest high speed road on the East Coast?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 04:32 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't know what you are talking about! I sit in traffic every day on the NJ Turnpike...hit the clutch four thousand times until I am walking with a limp! When the road finally clears up-once a year-I hit the gas like there is no tomorrow and spend my next six months working out court dates. My lawyer and the State of NJ love me and my check book. Now, the local roads in my town are a whole other story...lots of beautiful scenery and twisties with no cops and no one else on the roads.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:17 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah the NJ Turnpike

Not that many years ago - 90min from door to door max -- The turnpike was great.

And the state troopers were great - if you were just speeding they would normally leave you alone.

I was pulled over a few years ago doing 90 something -- he said. The road was empty - still deep snow on the sides of the road.

I could not pull off in a safe spot! - finally did after a few miles. Trooper had to walk on the right in snow up to his gun -- thought I was dead (points are a killer on insurance in NJ).

He looks in from the passanger side and says to me to "slow down" -- then just walks away!
Old 12-10-2004, 06:01 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Wow yeldogt you are one lucky SOB. The last time I got a ticket on the NJT the cop scolded me for 10 minutes then in his angriest cop voice told me that if I did not show up for the court appearance they would issue a warrant for my arrest. Incredible...I was not exessively speeding...yet was treated like a criminal. Then figuring I would have the chance to plead my case against this abuse I went to court and he did not even show up for the appearance. Apparently in NJ the cop does not have to appear...unlike NY.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:32 PM
STLRFN
Track Day

Well hopefully my luck has not run out. I've taken my C4S on about 6 trips up to long Island to visit my brother and another 5 times up to either Woodbury Commons or Short Hills Mall since I got it . This is usually on the weekend and usually before a lot of people are on the road. Sunday I ran into a georgeous chick in a SLK, and the two of us did anywhere between 85 and 145 all the way down to Rt 73. I was havin such a good time I skipped my exit and we flew all the way down and I got off at the Walt Whitman exit. I've been married for two months and I already felt guilty ! LOL
Old 12-10-2004, 07:21 PM
SDSmith
Advanced

In the metro NY area, my vote is for I-684 between I-287 and I-84. Light traffic, well separated highway (big median at times), 3 lanes and typically the NYS troopers are in 2 or 3 predicatible spots if at all. A couple nice stretches responsibly open it up with few safety or legal concerns....

Oh, and anywhere on I-17 between I-87 and Binghampton - beautiful stretch of road on the way to the Glen.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:09 AM
Apex Rex
Racer

Oh, I forgot one awesome road. The Merritt Parkway in CT. If you are lucky enough to hit it with out any traffic, and no construction (a LOT of new pavement is down now) that road is SUCH an awesome road to cruise on. Especially in the fall months with all the over-hanging trees in their orange colors. That road was built for the sole purpose of drivers with handling cars to enjoy. I can only imagine what a 911 could do on that road. Especially since there are hardly ever any form of law enforcement on the road at any time....

Enjoy

~Apex
Old 12-11-2004, 01:23 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

I second the Merritt is fun, but I disagree on the smokey issue. Drive the average speed in New Canaan part. They sit at the BOTTOM of the hill, just waiting. I have seen them there several times. Unfortuantly, I did not see them there the FIRST time!
Old 12-12-2004, 11:31 PM
///alpinepower
Advanced

NJ Troopers usually do not care as long as you bear right and the road is fairly empty.
Open it up across I-84 > I-81 > I-76 > I-70 > I-270, from Boston to D.C.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:45 AM
BigLou
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I-75 Alligator alley going between Naples and Ft. Lauderdale, but has to be after midnite. Not as many troopers that time of nite and the long striaghts make it easy for the V1 to pick them up. Its about 75 miles. Used to do some nice high speed runs going back and forth to school from St. Petersburg to Miami. Glad they put up fences to keep the gators from crossing the highway. About 12 yrs ago I saw a gator crossing the road while I was crusing in my 928. Luckily it was during the day time and I was able to slow down. I dont know who would of won the fight between my 928 Shark and the Gator if I was doing triple digits and hit him at night.
Lou

Quick Reply: The greatest high speed road on the East Coast?