996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Mass Air Flow Sensor /Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 09:33 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer should print out the OBD reading for you so you can see ALL the codes and other failures that have happened. DO NOT go in blind to a dealer. Like I saide before, just reset the damn computer and it probably will never come on again. If your car is running fine, then there is not a sensor problem.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:32 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks...How do you reset the computer? Is it a DIY?
Old 12-09-2004, 10:55 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Simply disconnect the negative ground from the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect. Make sure you have your radio code available as you will have to enter it in the radio when you turn it on. Then start the car and take it for a drive. The car may stumble a few times - until the computer learns the program again. You may have a slightly high and varying idle (800 - 1100 rpm) for the first 2 or 3 times you start your car, but that is normal and after a few drive cycles the computer will completely learn and the car will run smoothly again.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:43 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont understand why people place all this trust in independent mechanics. Independent shops dont even have the proper tools to work on these cars. No one here can say for sure what this guys car needs because no one here has actually seen the fault codes in his DME. He mentioned he had an "02 fault" as per his post which could be an o2 sensing fault which is very commom when these MAFs start to go bad and give false air mass readings.

I like this board because we can discuss these cars but people go to far and speak about information they dont know and with experience they dont have. Even if we knew the fault codes stored in his DME it is not possible to tell %100 what exactly is wrong with his car. Sorry people but you can not diagnose a check engine light over the internet. We can steer him in the right direction but that's exactly where our power ends.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:52 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

The dealer and the porsche "independent" said that they would need to diagnose these problems in depth and that the fault codes are only a starting point etc.

I am basing my information on experienced porsche people who have had a number of cars for a long time serviced at this shop. I understand that the dealer and these shops are only as good as their mechanics, experience and equipment. This dealer has been good to me in the past but I just want an opinion from another source before spending some money...

Thx for the input.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:20 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

PTEC,

He asked a question and people are answering to the best of their ability, ultimately it's Robert's responsibility as it is your's and mine when asking a question, as to what decision to make. Based on your post each question of this type should only produce one answer "Take it to your dealer and let them tell you." That defeats the purpose of having everyone else's experiences as a database from where you can get an idea as to what it could be.

Robert,

When you first posted the issue, I thought it could be an O2 sensor, as I've this happen before in one of other cars (BMW M3). However after reading your follow up posts I'm almost certain that an O2 sensor is it, please make sure the dealer gives you the print out because I can't see how a wiring issue may arise from refueling with the engine on, unless it was strictly coincidental, but what are the odds??? Just my $.02
Old 12-10-2004, 11:22 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
PTEC,

He asked a question and people are answering to the best of their ability, ultimately it's Robert's responsibility as it is your's and mine when asking a question, as to what decision to make. Based on your post each question of this type should only produce one answer "Take it to your dealer and let them tell you." That defeats the purpose of having everyone else's experiences as a database from where you can get an idea as to what it could be.
As I said in my post, discussion is great. I also said we can steer him in the right direction (aka "get an idea as to what it could be). We can all speculate what his problem is but the truth is nobody here knows for sure what the cause really is. My point is that people shouldnt come on here and say "Oh it was just a code from your gas cap, unplug the battery and keep driving."
Old 12-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Laura
Pro

PTEC,
Your generalization of independents is not true.
"I dont understand why people place all this trust in independent mechanics. Independent shops dont even have the proper tools to work on these cars. "

We are an independent, have been in business for 28 years working on Porsche exclusively. Avg. years experience of my techs, 25 years each on Porsche. Yes, I have spent the thousands of dollars on Porsche Systems Tester, additional software, all factory manuals, and specialized tooling. We have many customers that would prefer us to take care of warranty work and pay us becuase we able to take of the problem in a timely fashion and we know what we are doing.
Sorry if you had bad experience with an independent but if you have been around this board long, You should have seen the comments about bad experiences with SOME dealerships.

Laura
Hergesheimer MotorSports
www.hergesheimer.com

Last edited by Laura; 12-11-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:09 PM
sansan
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts

Any good independent shops in Tampa, Jacksonville, or Orlando?
Old 12-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Koenig999
AutoX

I had a series of CEL warnings, finally got sorted after the Independent took the Car to an OPC to have the fault codes read out and reset

As a sweeping generalisation, OPCs tend to replace things, Independents tend to fix things - you pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Sooner or later, it would be better to check the OBC readout and verified.

Koenig

Quick Reply: Mass Air Flow Sensor /Check Engine Light