Sponsored by:

No LSD on my car. Need a recommended source >>

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
You guys do realize that this thread was started 2 YEARS ago, don't you? Chad sold his 996 about a year ago.

It's all good. Lot's of uselful info from JimB and 02 Carrera regardless.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:58 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
There are only 2 companies that work on these transmissions unlike the German G50 boxes in the GT3s and Turbos. Porsche dealers don't work on them. They have no service parts or tools for disassembly.
That is no longer the case, dealers now have the spare parts available to them and can repair the regular 996 style gearbox.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:07 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
That is no longer the case, dealers now have the spare parts available to them and can repair the regular 996 style gearbox.
What dealers? Where? I can tell you that I have 3 dealers locally (Boardwalk, Park Place and Autobahn) that will not work on these transmissions. They only do replacements. The German build G96 in the GT3 is a completely different story. I have also talked to Momentum and Advantage in Houston, Suncoast and the Racer's Group and received the same story. Boardwalk puts the entire Porsche parts catalog online and you can't even get the pinion shims.

Porsche contracts GKN in Japan to supply new and rebuilt transmissions (service replacement only). Since the contract does not supply parts, they are not in the Porsche parts catalog. GKN was also the builder of the MKIV Supra's 6-speed in Japan and had a similar contract with Toyota and hence why Supra owners have the same problem. The only way to get parts and tools for these transmissions is to go directly GKN in Japan, which Autohaus II does. Since Porsche corporate does not support this practice, the dealers haven't provided this service. Autohaus II is cross-country which mean removing and shipping the transmission to them.

Here is some additional information straight from Lufteknic who also does Porsche transmission rebuilds (they are incorrect in that GKN will supply parts in volume):

The G96 gearbox was introduced at the start of production 996/986 cars. A 986 (Boxster) gearbox has the G86 gearbox designation. The G86 is basically the same as a 996 gearbox with the ring and pinion swapped for the mid-engine configuration. The most noticeable difference in these gearboxes is the cable shifter. All 996/986 cars other than 1998 996 GT3 cars use a cable shifter.

The standard 996 gearbox (G96.00, G96.01, G96.30, and G96.31) is a development all its own which is similar to some current VAG (VW Audi Group) products, but shares almost nothing with other Porsche transmissions. There are many 996s that have suffered from ring and pinion failures, synchronizers, and other maladies at a variety of mileages. The only fix is to replace with a Porsche remanufactured unit for a good used one. Parts for these gearboxes cannot be obtained by the manufacturer or Porsche. They unfortunately cannot be fixed.

The 996 GT3 gearbox is different (type G96.90, G96.93, G96.96) from the standard 996. The GT3 gearbox has evolved from the 993 GT2 which in turn evolved from the 993 TT, and before that the 1989 930 G50.50. The current GT3 box is also used in the 996TT/GT2 and 996 GT3 Cup/GT3 RS/RSR race cars. It has a dedicated oil pump and external oil/water intercooler, steel synchronizer rings on gears 3-5, and interchangeable gear ratios (main shaft assembled from individual ratios that are positioned, not pressed into place), and a 40%/60% asymmetrical clutch type limited slip differential.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

What dealers? Where? I can tell you that I have 3 dealers locally (Boardwalk, Park Place and Autobahn) that will not work on these transmissions. They only do replacements. The German build G96 in the GT3 is a completely different story. I have also talked to Momentum and Advantage in Houston, Suncoast and the Racer's Group and received the same story. Boardwalk puts the entire Porsche parts catalog online and you can't even get the pinion shims.

Porsche contracts GKN in Japan to supply new and rebuilt transmissions (service replacement only). Since the contract does not supply parts, they are not in the Porsche parts catalog. GKN was also the builder of the MKIV Supra's 6-speed in Japan and had a similar contract with Toyota and hence why Supra owners have the same problem. The only way to get parts and tools for these transmissions is to go directly GKN in Japan, which Autohaus II does. Since Porsche corporate does not support this practice, the dealers haven't provided this service. Autohaus II is cross-country which mean removing and shipping the transmission to them.

Here is some additional information straight from Lufteknic who also does Porsche transmission rebuilds (they are incorrect in that GKN will supply parts in volume):
My local dealer rebuilds them.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:31 AM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know the original thread starter sold his car and this thread is OLD! For those who are looking here is a great deal. http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval
Old 12-21-2006, 05:29 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I am sorry, but you have things confused I think.

Firstly the G96 series of transmissions are built by Getrag of Germany.
G96/00/01 and G96/30/31 are known internally as the Getrag type 450.
G96/61 transmission is the Getrag type 448.

The Toyota Supra Turbo was fitted with a Getrag 6-speed.

Toyota Supra Mk 4 (1993-1998/2002) Toyota Supra MkIV
With the fourth generation of the Supra, Toyota took a big leap in the direction of a more super sportscar. The new Supra was redesigned from the ground up and featured two completely new engines: naturally aspirated 2JZ-GE 220hp and 210lb-ft of torque, or a twin turbocharged 2JZ-GTE making a whopping 320hp, 315 lb-ft of torque. The turbocharged variant could achieve 0–60 in 4.6 seconds and 1/4 mile in just under 13.1 seconds at over 106 mph.
The MKIV Supra's twin turbos actually operated in sequential mode instead of twin mode as the name states. The way that the sequential mode operated was the first turbo starts spooling at low rpms & as the rpms increased, the second turbo joins in. This helped in reducing turbo lag. Twin mode in other cars operated by having the two turbos spool up at the same time at the upper rpm range. For this generation, the Supra received a new 6-speed Getrag transmission on the Turbo models

In 1998, Toyota ceased to export the cars from Japan, and they stopped production altogether in 2002 due to a decline in sales. Toyota has hinted at a possible revival of the Supra in 2006/2007 pointing at different directions. There is indication that Toyota will base the future Supra on the next generation Altezza, which will be powered by a Twin-Turbocharged V6 Engine, while other speculate that the future Supra will become the next flagship model for the company, knocking the Toyota Century off the flagship spot.
GKN is a British company and are only involved with the electronic torque control system in the Cayenne. They may have a factory in Japan, but it has nothing to do with Porsche from what I can see. They do not admit to having any service contracts with Porsche regarding Getrag transmissions.

Jason is correct and I have also found lots and lots of companies here in Europe that rebuild the G96 transmissions for all 996s. Here are a couple with one offering a lower cost exchange service as well.
http://www.am-tc.be/pdf/Porsche%20Ca...e%20052004.pdf
http://www.wrightune.co.uk/g96gearbox.htm

You are correct that Porsche dealers did not repair these transmissions inhouse originally because of the "Warranty Contract" between Porsche and Getrag, but this has changed for each transmission system as each model year went out of warranty. I do agree that the high cost of the shop special tooling will put a lot of places off doing this work. The same applies to the engine rebuilding as well.

The Porsche 997 transmission is made by Aisin of Japan as is the Cayenne transmission, but this has nothing to do with the 996. The Boxster 5-speed transmission is also made by Getrag.
I suppose that Getrag could

I would be interested if you could provide the factual link between Getrag of Germany, GKN Group of the UK (long time Porsche parts supplier by the way dating back to the 928 engine conrods) and Japanese manufacture of the assembly regarding the 996 series.

Ciao,
Adrian.

PS: I think the bearings in the transmission come from Japan as they did for the 964 and 993, but this is a Getrag outsource contract and nothing to do with Porsche AG.

Last edited by Adrian; 12-21-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick
My local dealer rebuilds them.
One of my local dealers also works on them. He indicated that he does "gear swaps" on them regularly.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian
I would be interested if you could provide the factual link between Getrag of Germany, GKN Group of the UK (long time Porsche parts supplier by the way dating back to the 928 engine conrods) and Japanese manufacture of the assembly regarding the 996 series.

Ciao,
Adrian.

PS: I think the bearings in the transmission come from Japan as they did for the 964 and 993, but this is a Getrag outsource contract and nothing to do with Porsche AG.

A total stab in the dark here, but I'll bet the outsourced transmission bearings came from GKN as bearings are at the heart of what they do.

Quick Reply: No LSD on my car. Need a recommended source >>