Sponsored by:

Opinions on '04 C4S - Beverly Hills Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 07:00 PM
riozilla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions on '04 C4S - Beverly Hills Porsche

I'm looking at this car right now trying to figure out what the best possible price I could get and would love to hear any thoughts or opinions given the options and the overall market.

It is exactly the car that I want as configured.

2004 C4S Coupe, 45 miles on odometer
Arctic Silver Metallic
Black Full Leather
P74 - Xenon Headlamps
680 - Bose Sound System
446 - Crest Wheel Caps
342 - Heated Seats
CCZ - Sport Shifter
XLF - Sports Exhaust System
P82 - Technic Package
Y29 - Aluminum/Chrome X71,X70,X54
416 - 18" GT3 Wheels

The MSRP sticker in the window iis $91K and the according to Edmunds, the invoice is $73K + about $7K for the options.

What do you think is a realistic price for this car as configured? Could I get it for $80K?

My other consideration is that I will be turning in a Carrera Cab just coming off lease that I also got from their dealership and it has some "wear and tear" that they tell me will not be a problem and won't charge me for if I turn it in to them and get into a new car.

I am weighing the pros and cons of buying new or slightly used and would love your opinions on this one.

Thanks in advance,

Rio
Old 12-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aim for 80-83
Old 12-05-2004, 07:08 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Very nicely equiped C4S, you may be able to get it for less. They are awsome cars on the street or track, you'll love it. No first yr 997 problems either. You could barely get a plain jane 997 with no options for the same. The C4S is a much better value, hell it's still a new car!
Go for it!
Old 12-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

I'm sure you can get it for $80K or less... Build your confidence, visualize what you want and you'll be ready for battle. Be ready for several back and forths with "let's see what the boss says" and the typical comeback "the boss is not happy". And specially in LA, you're going to get the typical excuse of "this is not Kansas, so don't expect great discounts on Porsche's"... I got those excuses, and I said that's B.S....

If 80 is what you want to pay, offer something like 78 going in, and during the negotiations let the offer slide incrementally in short amounts till you get to the 80 you want to pay (or there about), and make that your final offer.

Also they might try to give you BS on your lease return's condition. Don't let that be a distraction to your goal. Remind them you're a returning customer, and it is in their best interest to keep your business.

I got a very significant discount on my 40th Anniversary by sticking to my guns... So load your ammo and go get them... And post pics when you conquer your deal.

Cheers.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:54 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I think 80 seems like a fair price for the car... I like Porsche's that do not have a large amount of options because you take a bath on them. That car looks like it has just enough... go test drive it, and for the love of god don't do what I did and get back to the dealership with a stupid grin on your face, you'll loose all your negotiating powers
Old 12-06-2004, 12:12 PM
paneraiwatches
Instructor

FWIW, I was at the Auto Gallery the other day and they had one 05 4S coupe. Sales manager said he was ready to aggresively deal. Might be worth the phone call.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

These things are region specific., IMO 80k +/- ~2k is a good price for the car, being a repeat customer, you should not settle to anything more.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:18 PM
gabbagabbahey
Advanced

I'm curious, did you drive a 997S or base to compare with the 4S? Isn't 4 wheel drive overkill in LA? I think the dealer would be dancing for joy inside to get 80K since the 997 is here and you can in theory order an option free S for the same. I'm guessing that a 997s would hold its resale value better down the road.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:30 PM
riozilla
Instructor

I enjoy the styling of the C4S (inside and out) more then the 997 .. where I live (rural mountain town with lots of twisting turns) the C4S is not overkill for my part of LA. I think C4S are more rare overall and it is just my personal preference..

Thanks for the great feedback to my question. My wife has put up some "roadblocks" as of late that I now have to clear.. Any tips on getting significant others on board with an 80K purchase? For some reason she has no problem with $60K but $80K puts her into a fit.. I can afford it, it is just the principal of the matter that is upsetting her now.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:03 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

Don't argue the 60K to 80K difference. That's not the cost. Cost is what you pay minus what you sell it for down the road. So if you lose 30-40K by driving it three years, that's the cost. Look how much you just save her! That's half what she was willing to go.

If that does not work, use the tactic women understand. Talk about how much you saved and ignore the purchase price or whether you actually need it or not.

good luck!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:39 PM
tstanding
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default How to get your wife on board

The technique which worked for me was to get her to start being emotionally attached to some aspect of the car. In my case it was the interior.

I lined up all sorts great end of model year deals (3 possible cars, each of which was $7 - 9k off sticker). She complained about some aspect of all three. I found her soft spot when I started taling about different interior colors. Then I got her hooked by starting to talk about an interior she thought was incredibly beautiful. I ended up custom ordering a car with that interior and spending $7k more than I wanted to, but I never heard another complaint from the wife. It was the best $7k I ever spent.

Tim
Old 12-06-2004, 09:17 PM
gabbagabbahey
Advanced

re negotiating with the dealer, I would try to get at least one fall back deal with another dealer further out that will meet your price before going to your local dealer. There are several C4s likewise equiped sitting on lots in NE OH.. no help for LA, that I am sure the dealers would take 80 or even less to move.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:07 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Roizilla

I put my wife in a Boxster and covered her Miata weekend car with a permanent cover, now she has the bug worse than I do
Old 12-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

I agree with Tim's response... get her emotionally involved. Take her to see the car and go for a test drive... she will most likely fall in love with the interior, look, feel, smell, etc. Tell her you will keep the car for a very long time. Not sure if you have kids or not, or plan for the future. The 911 is the ultimate family car. My 3 1/2 son loves going for rides in my car.
My wife is asked many times by her friends why she "allowed" me to purchase such a car. Her answer: "My husband can't say no to anything I want to purchase". IMHO that's a fair trade!.
Have your wife talk to my wife.

Cheers and good luck.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:24 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought my wife a brand new Expedition Eddie Bauer so she could be like all the other moms, then 2wks later I laid it on her!

Quick Reply: Opinions on '04 C4S - Beverly Hills Porsche