Sponsored by:

group buy-anyone for CGT Keys(remote)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Group Buy....

I may be able to help if you fellows want to do a group buy.

I'll check my pricing but I'm sure I'll be able to help......

I'm going to have the catalog team beef up the 996 area, this item will be added to it as well. But for now I'll see what I can do....

-Eli
Old 12-14-2004, 09:45 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

right as i picked up my 996 today, a real carerra gt pulled up in the service bay.. i asked the service advisor if i could see if my CGT key worked and if it did, if i could test drive the car.. no luck unfortunately... :P (i think i've seen too many game shows...)
Old 12-22-2004, 12:17 AM
KY_soldier
Racer

Well, I got my key and everything works except the remote! I can open it in the keyhole, start and drive it, but the remote won't lock/unlock the car. Any sugggestions? I replaced all the guts from my old key (including the capsule).
Old 12-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

I'm thinking that you may have damaged something during the transfer. Transfer everything back and they give it a try. If it works then you may not be setting the bottons in place. One last thing, you're setting this for your 996 not your 986 correct?

-Eli
Old 12-28-2004, 01:48 AM
Dale Zelinsky
2nd Gear

Slightly OT:

Anyone with a 3 button Boxster do this "hack"?

Would you lose the front trunk functionality or the back trunk?
Old 12-31-2004, 03:56 AM
DrPeter
Instructor

Default What I learned

So what I learned by replacing the key is that there are 3 locks for the key. The first is the standard metal key. The second is the "guts" or elecrtronics that will remotely unlock the door. The third is the capsule that allows the ignition to turn over when the key is in the ignition. Pretty neat.

As a tip to split the key handle, the handle has its tongue and groove along the sides and the front not the back. I took a personna single edged razor blade along the entire long GT edge and twisted in a anterior posterior motion and the tongue and groove will let loose at the long axis of the handle and pop apart without damage . The guts are exactly the same in both units except the glass capsule is gooed into the GT and snapped into the 996 version. You may need some sticky substance to keep the clean 996 exchanged glass capsule in place in the GT remote. The GT electronics sit in the remote and the 996 snaps in.

It is pretty easy to pop the spring loaded metal key holder with the remote open, careful that the little bitty spring doesn't pop off the table. Also keep the orientation of the spring loaded mechanism the same since it is noched on one side to snap the key in place. Seat the rubber tubing/seal in place along the groove to make sure both halfs snap together flushly.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:18 AM
KY_soldier
Racer

All is fine. I mistakenly thought I swapped the guts and didn't. I am fine now. Thanks...Eric
Old 12-31-2004, 06:44 AM
Stef Scheepers
Advanced

OOPS!!!
Old 12-31-2004, 11:52 AM
bumble996
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the group buy - ordered mine today!!
Old 12-31-2004, 12:15 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so what's everyone think of the gt key.. cool huh? :>
the 986/996/997 keyheads are complete junk compared to these guys... it actually makes me proud to put down on the table while eating a keyhead that looks better than most sub $20k family car keyheads... wondering why the 997 never had a nicer keyhead... all other german manufacturers have decent lookin ones.. bmw, audi, vw, benz, etc.. porsche has always been lacking in the keyhead area... not that it's a big deal... but since it's on this topic, just thought i'd bring it up :>
Old 12-31-2004, 12:21 PM
Lizard1
Racer

I ordered mine the first day and still have not received them. I called Brandywine before Christmas and they said they were having to order some in from Germany and that they only had a couple to start with. Unfortunately this has been an ongoing problem with Brandywine with me over the last 6 mos. I have spent over $10K on parts/mods for my porsches in the last year and a half and have slowly watched their parts dept go from excellent to downright poor. As they've grown, seems like Justin has handed off responsiblity to others and this has been the demise - I'm guessing that's the reason. I've been downright lied to about when things were coming in, when they were shipped, and then even snubbed aftermarket pieces when I've specifically asked and paid for Porsche OEM. And the list goes on.........

I hope other's don't experience my troubles and do not think that I have been a rude or abrasive client so they are being passive aggressive - in fact I've probably been too nice and understanding and let them take advantage of my generosity.

I am done with Brandywine and am taking my business to Eric(bumper plug man - yes he can get OEM parts/pieces for great prices) and Suncoast(Ric & phil).

CGT key en route from Suncoast for nearly the same cost
Old 12-31-2004, 12:27 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

Sorry you had a bad experience. I had one issue with them in the past, but they fixed it right away. I got my key pretty quick too, but I think I mentioned, they only had a few, and they went quick! I bought some stuff from Suncoast a few weeks ago, and they are top notch. Enjoy the key!
Old 01-09-2005, 10:25 PM
bumble996
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks!

Thanks for setting up the GB for the GT Keyhead - it's the only thing I've been able to "mod" on my 996 because of all the rain lately here in SoCal....

Here's a quick pic, thanks again - coolest $100 mod yet.
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2005, 10:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

For those of us with a single button remote (MY2000) for lock and unlock is this compatible and thus the CGT trunk button will just be a dummy?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:46 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry to dig this up from the archives, but I have a question in regards to this upgrade. Today, the lock/unlock microswitch came apart on my wifes Boxster. All I need is a new surface mount, sub-microswitch, which I think I have already sourced. Easy solder-in job.
But, this may be a good opportunity to upgrade to the CGT iteration. Question is; is this compatible with an '03 Boxster? The Boxster requires three functions as it has two trunks that can be opened remotely. Does this fob have a third function? Do I have to order any particular frequency version etc.?

Quick Reply: group buy-anyone for CGT Keys(remote)?